PDA

View Full Version : Gemini 2, Enigma 2 and Linux

Tostie
21-11-11, 21:27
Hi,

Hmmm been reading about my Xtrend ET5000. Some sources say that the OS is Enigma2 where as I know it is Linux. What is Enigma2, Gemini and VIX? Is Eng
igma2 the satellite application that runs on top of Linux?

Thanks
Haider

Larry-G
21-11-11, 21:47
in severe laymans terms.

Enigma 2 is for want of a better word the operating system, gemini and Vix are what the linux community would call distros in a similar way that ubuntu and redhat are distros for linux on pc based hardware.

Tostie
22-11-11, 12:34
in severe laymans terms.

Enigma 2 is for want of a better word the operating system, gemini and Vix are what the linux community would call distros in a similar way that ubuntu and redhat are distros for linux on pc based hardware.

I see, a further question from what I understand the Xtrend ET5000 is a Linux based satellite receiver. From telneting to the receiver and moving around the directory structure and examining system configuration files etc... it looks very much like Linux. Linux being an operating system therefore is Enigma2 another word for Linux or is it a completely different linux/unix like OS?

rossi2000
22-11-11, 12:53
linux is the OS
enigma2 is the frontend for DVB functions.

Tostie
22-11-11, 13:51
I think I've got it posting it here for the benefit of the other users. Linux is the OS. Enigma2 is the GUI, I think it must be some kind of X Window system. The added programs need for satellite functionality must all come bundled with it.

Post Edit
Sorry was adding this as Rossi2000 was adding his post.