PDA

View Full Version : Were old phones better?

Larry-G
17-11-11, 17:39

Are all smart phones rubbish when compared to their ancestors? A spot of research we were sent from
MyVoucherCodes.co.uk suggests that 24 per cent of folks actually preferred their crusty old blowers to the glistening smart phones of modern times. Did phones used to be better? We need your help to settle the matter.

Mobiles have changed a whole lot in the last few years -- ever since the first iPhone gave manufacturers a kick up the backside in 2007 (yes, it really was that recently), every week there's a new, faster, bigger, more powerful smart phone parachuting into our laps, looking up at us with its big front-facing camera and mewling, "Review meeee."

But we've got this nasty suspicion that old phones were actually better than their newfangled counterparts.

Think about it. Phones like the Nokia 3210 or 3310 are absolute classics, making calls and sending texts with workmanlike diligence. The new Motorola Razr that went on sale yesterday might have a 4.3-inch touchscreen and an 8-megapixel camera, but it'll never warm our cockles like the original Razr did.

Older monochrome mobiles offer vastly superior battery life, and despite advances in touchscreen tech, are often much easier to use than their modern counterparts. Old Nokia phones also boasted Snake, a mobile game so addictive it puts Angry Birds to shame, and that brilliant old composer tool that let you make your own ringtones.

Smart phones do offer apps, and things like Wi-Fi, 3G and GPS, turning your phone into a tiny computer, adept at web surfing, playing hi-def videos and chewing through demanding games without batting an eyelid. But when the battery conks out, or you drop the thing and shatter the screen, the fun ends all too abruptly.

Are our nagging doubts justified? Are old phones better than new ones? Are modern mobiles all talk, or would you rather eat your own hands than swap your Samsung Galaxy S2 for a Nokia 8210?

Tell us in the comments which of your old blowers holds a place in your heart -- if you had to go back to using an old-school mobile, which model would you choose, and why? And if you're prepared to defend new, high-tech smart phones,

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/were-old-phones-better-50006119/

silverfox0786
17-11-11, 18:33
i still got my beloved 6310i nokia

and it sells in very rare numbers for excess of £100

punisher
17-11-11, 19:07
Nokia 3210 woot woot. Even the nokia banana/matrix phone was awsome lol

Larry-G
17-11-11, 19:12
yeah and a battery charge lasted you a week instead of 6 hrs if your lucky now adays.

punisher
17-11-11, 19:14
I know i dnt ever remember charging it on a daily basis, i think once or twice a week, depending if i was tryna beat my own best score on snake, wat a leg end of a game :p

silverfox0786
17-11-11, 19:26
i still got 2 nokai 1100 with the torch and that and my 6310i i dont charge for atleast 2 weeks at at time left on standby

Larry-G
17-11-11, 19:28
i have a couple of bin bags about some where will loads of old DCT-2 and DCT-3 nokia phones going way back to the days i used to unlock and repair them.

silverfox0786
17-11-11, 19:29
my dad still uses a nokia 3310 and i got 2 of his 3210 chamelian phones i need to unlock for him he prefers em to the newer phones

Larry-G
17-11-11, 19:32
my dad still uses a nokia 3310 and i got 2 of his 3210 chamelian phones i need to unlock for him he prefers em to the newer phones

you can do them on any of the old DCT-3/DCT-4 calculators floating about, although i have a original nokia dct-3 clip if i can find it and the cables for those phones i'll send it down to you. ( got a cupboard full of unlock gear ).

silverfox0786
17-11-11, 19:34
cheers buddy

usuallly i just search the net but not knowing what they are locked to makes generating the code harder

usually i keep a load of sims and see wich works and that tells me what im locked on but im short of sims so they awaiting unlocking in the cupboard at the mo

Larry-G
17-11-11, 19:37
i might have a few old sim packs kicking about too, got to do a clean out soon so i;ll pack them up if i find them,.

silverfox0786
17-11-11, 20:10
i might have a few old sim packs kicking about too, got to do a clean out soon so i;ll pack them up if i find them,.

CHEERS mate

tombale123
01-08-12, 06:52
Yes old phones were better,they were much easy to use and handle.

dalep
01-08-12, 08:54
Can you imagine, something like a 5110 with todays battery technology, would probably last 2 weeks or more between charges!!!

Ev0
01-08-12, 09:51
Tbh I think an iphone is far better than the old phones. But the 6310i has to be the best old handset of all time.

The 5110 was my first nokia iirc in 2000/2001 and I stuck with only nokia's until I jumped on the iphone bandwagon in 2010, but my first mobile when I was 17 was the amazingly crap motorola graphite.

The only good thing about motorola back then was that there handsets were pretty much indestructable.