PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had problems with HD timeshift on USB?

Ojustaboo
15-07-10, 19:56
As per title, if I pause HD for 30 secs then play, it pauses about every 20 secs or so for a split second, SD seems fine.

Currently on Dream Elite. Works fine when using the hard drive.

Got a good quality (not a fake) Sandisk USB Flash drive Cruzer 32GB

bob1
15-07-10, 20:28
Are you using the latest plugin or the one downloaded via the image?

Ojustaboo
15-07-10, 20:50
Whatever was included in the image. Not talking about the permanent time shift plugin, but simply pausing a live program then resuming play.

Have just tried the VTI image on the off chance it was the enigma 2 version with Dream elite, but it does the same, so I've just reloaded dream elite.

bob1
15-07-10, 21:14
I did have a similar thing with the permanent time shift, did you format and map the drive, i'm using a cheap 2gb drive and it works fine, i thinking about replacing it with a larger one at a later date.

Ojustaboo
15-07-10, 21:45
Formatted it to ext2 on a linux PC

Didn't map the drive (as in alter /etc/fstab), simply went into settings/recording path and selected /dev/sdb1 as the device for timeshift as it seems to automatically mount.

pooface
15-07-10, 22:03
Just did a quick test.

Am currently using vti image, and have an 8gb usb stick (think it's a transcend brand, but not 100% sure atm). Did a timeshift on itv hd, and it hasn't given me any problems... Just tried on sky1 hd, to see whether it's just encrypted channels, and that's working fine also...

Only thing I can think, is that you're problem is because of ecm timeouts, or because your usb stick is too slow?! But as I said, on my tests I've done, it's worked fine...

Ojustaboo
15-07-10, 22:15
hmm, newly installed image, no cards etc installed.

I've got
http://www.sandisk.co.uk/Products/Item%282735%29-SDCZ36-032G-E11-SanDisk_Cruzer_32_GB_USB_flash_drive.aspx

Maybe I should have spent the extra £15 and got the Ultra version. Dam stupid reviews, from what I found, the ultra one had a backup button, that seemed to be the only difference, should have gone to their site :(

bob1
16-07-10, 07:28
Formatted it to ext2 on a linux PC

Didn't map the drive (as in alter /etc/fstab), simply went into settings/recording path and selected /dev/sdb1 as the device for timeshift as it seems to automatically mount.

You need to map the drive ,blue button, blue button, device manager.

pooface
16-07-10, 08:58
Try as bob said, and map the drive... See if you're still having problems. I had problems with the blue button mapping (as in it wouldn't save my hdd mount), so I had to manually edit /etc/fstabs

andyblac
16-07-10, 10:08
if SD is fine then mapping is not going to change anything, it purely down to the speed of the USB stick, i have 2 usb sticks one give me loads of problems (BUFFALO 4GB) with timeshift too dam slow, it buffers to the stick before it writes the info on the chip itself, that when i gets freezes / glitches. so it may be down the controller on the stick, that's how manufactures can say it has a write speed of xxxx because it is buffering first then writes the buffer. fake speeds. maybe we should start another thread, for : "What USB Memory Sticks are you using for the use of TimeShift" this might help people.

andy.

Ojustaboo
16-07-10, 10:55
maybe we should start another thread, for : "What USB Memory Sticks are you using for the use of TimeShift" this might help people.

andy.

Yep, when i spend £70 on a product that is listed on various sites as suitable for video, saying things like, "Holds up to 8 hours of high quality movies" and it turns out it isn't fast enough, I am not that pleased.

Have just sent Sandisk the following about my stick

Hi, after looking around various internet sites and seeing how this USB drive is recommended for video, I brought it thinking it would be able to handle HD video.

However when I play HD video on it, it constantly pauses and stutters. SD video is fine. I can only put this down to the transfer speed of this device?

I'm using it on a Linux system, hence have formatted it to ext2 rather than fat32. On one of your forums, someone else who formated a drive to use on their mac, complained about the slow speed and was told by an employee of your company

"the first issue is that you removed u3. the contour device uses an LBA off set to increase the transfer rate. if you remove u3 it will not apply the same LBA offset during the formatting process."

Can you confirm this is true please, as while I've seen your site say U3 is incompatible with Linux, there was nothing under the specifications etc to suggest in any way that U3 is needed to get the full transfer speed. Your site implies it simply offers a few features such as allowing older PC's to access large drives, or giving added security etc.

As it is, it appears I have spent out £70 on a product that will simply not do what it was brought to do.

Your site says my drive is suitable for "ideal for video-the easy way to store, share and play your favorite video files"

Many thanks

Will post their response if and when I receive one.

Ojustaboo
16-07-10, 16:04
Just received :(

Thanks for emailing SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

Regarding your query, we would like to inform you that we do not have a guaranteed transfer speed for this flash drive. As such there is a possibility that you will not be able to play all kinds of HD videos directly from the flash drive.

andyblac
16-07-10, 16:33
Just received :(

then if i where you send it back for refund where you purchased it from, stating it is not suitable for the intended use, and trade description (if the packing and or advertising states it would handle HD vidoes).

andy.

Ojustaboo
16-07-10, 16:55
Yep going to try. Got from the wifes catalogue, she spends a fortune with them, so hopeful they wont kick up too much of a fuss.

Didn't mention specifically HD, but did say

Experience reliable, portable storage with a SanDisk Cruzer USB 2.0 Flash Drive. Why leave your photos, videos and music at home when theyll fit in your pocket? Trust the minds behind flash memory to make it easy to store, transfer and share your digital files wherever you go.With 32Gb of storage, these drives are built to handle the real worlds bumps and turnsso you can count on them to help you share plenty of pix, flix and other digital favorites wherever you go.
Take it all with youon reliable USB flash drives. Transfer and share photos, videos, songs and other files between computers with ease. Worry not because your SanDisk Cruzer Blade USB flash drive is backed by a 2-year warranty.

On Argos's site, it stated

Holds up to 8 hours of high quality movie (HD Cam).

and on Sandisks site it says

Ideal for video — the easy way to store, share and play your favourite video files

I will use the argument that sandisks own site doesn't hint at it not being suitable for any particular format

Ojustaboo
17-07-10, 10:41
Looking around the web. looks like the Corsair Flash Voyager GTR (32GB, 64GB, 128GB) could be what I'm looking for with min speeds in the 32GB listed as

Min Read: 34 MB/s
Min Write: 32 MB/s

Various performance tests singing it's praises with conclusions like, taken from
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/30379-corsair-flash-voyager-gtr-32gb-flash-drive-review-13.html

This flash drive is easily one of the fastest if not the fastest thumb drive we have ever used, reviewed or even heard about. Granted, there are probably some extremely rare USB 3.0 drives that have it beat but available on these next-gen drives is next to nil. In both synthetic and real world testing the GTR simply destroyed the competition and even gave our lone USB-equipped solid state drive a run for its money. The fact that you can get all this speed in a package which is only slightly bigger than your average run of the mill flash drive is simply a testament to miniaturization. 32GB sitting in the palm of your hand is also sure to bring the geek in anyone out.

andyblac
17-07-10, 12:47
Looking around the web. looks like the Corsair Flash Voyager GTR (32GB, 64GB, 128GB) could be what I'm looking for with min speeds in the 32GB listed as

Min Read: 34 MB/s
Min Write: 32 MB/s

Various performance tests singing it's praises with conclusions like, taken from
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/30379-corsair-flash-voyager-gtr-32gb-flash-drive-review-13.html

can i ask why not just use a HDD ?. i do for £70 you could get a 2tb drive

Ojustaboo
17-07-10, 13:25
can i ask why not just use a HDD ?. i do for £70 you could get a 2tb drive

A very very good question :) Funny how people (well me) often miss the obvious.

Reason I wanted to go this route is to stop the 1TB internal drive being hammered virtually 24/7 when using permanent time shift etc.

But I have an 80GB SATA 2 laptop drive sitting on a shelf nearby doing absolutely nothing. Might as well spend a fiver or so on a case for that and use that.

Thanks

andyblac
19-07-10, 19:22
A very very good question :) Funny how people (well me) often miss the obvious.

Reason I wanted to go this route is to stop the 1TB internal drive being hammered virtually 24/7 when using permanent time shift etc.

But I have an 80GB SATA 2 laptop drive sitting on a shelf nearby doing absolutely nothing. Might as well spend a fiver or so on a case for that and use that.

Thanks

yup cheaper in the long run to buy a 3.5 SATA RAID HDD, they are designed to run 24/7 that's what i have in mine :)

Andy.