PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Got one?

mcquaim
12-11-11, 14:19
Hi folks,

Anyone got one of these little machines? My sister looking for a cheap box and if this worked well then it could be a winner... Much difference in the mini and HD800?

Cheers,
Mac

Sicilian
12-11-11, 14:52
I've been having a play with, its quite a smart looking little receiver tbh. Its designed to be easily tucked away out of sight. Its comes like a IR receivers on a lead so you put that where you can control it with the remote. Picture quality is great. For the money I think its great, considering its comes with proper full UK warranty. The size of it is only about 15cm x 10cm x 3cm, really small. Remote its quite smart too, has a good feel to it.

The HD800 is more designed to be visible set top box.

pooface
12-11-11, 14:56
Nope, but from what I read of them, they are not linux boxes. So, I think that the name is a bit mis-leading. Anyone who had an Eagle box, and were used to being able to use enigma1 on it, do not expect to be able to use enigma2 on this box. Also, the HD800 misleads people to thinking it's a dm800 clone type box, which again, it is not...

Before going out and buying one of these, I would defo wait and read other reviews/accounts, and see what it's like. There's also a thread here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?13002-Sample-OSD-Pictures) that has some screens of the menus, might be worth a look before deciding also :)

Sicilian
12-11-11, 15:05
Nope, but from what I read of them, they are not linux boxes. So, I think that the name is a bit mis-leading. Anyone who had an Eagle box, and were used to being able to use enigma1 on it, do not expect to be able to use enigma2 on this box. Also, the HD800 misleads people to thinking it's a dm800 clone type box, which again, it is not...

Before going out and buying one of these, I would defo wait and read other reviews/accounts, and see what it's like. There's also a thread here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?13002-Sample-OSD-Pictures) that has some screens of the menus, might be worth a look before deciding also http://www.world-of-satellite.com/images/smilies/smile1.gif

You could say then a number of receiver names on the market are mis-leading then, like the Openbox, thats hardly opensource is it!

Btw, the boss aint going to recommend it if its total naff ;) For a non-linux receiver and the money I think its cool.

punisher
12-11-11, 15:11
But i think when u compare it to the dmv500 i brought from the sponsor, that actally is an e1 linux stb like the dm500 but this one isnt so i guess i can see where pooface is coming from but aslong as people know before they buy then they cant have an complaints.

pooface
12-11-11, 15:12
You could say then a number of receiver names on the market are mis-leading then, like the Openbox, thats hardly opensource is it!

Yes, you know what some ppl are like, they'll buy it just for the name and past experience of eagle box... Looking at the screenshots, it looks a nice little menu, and sounds good from what you wrote. Defo worth a punt at the price if you're happy to go for it

mcquaim
12-11-11, 15:14
Thanks lads,

Not being a Linux box won't upset the sister much, if the picture is good and it's reliable then she will be happy out! I looked at those screenshots and the menu's look really smart, much slicker than the TM non-linux box menus. I might hold out a little and see if anyone else has had a play and if it's a stable little box..

Thanks again,
mcquaim

Sicilian
12-11-11, 15:16
Thanks lads,

Not being a Linux box won't upset the sister much, if the picture is good and it's reliable then she will be happy out! I looked at those screenshots and the menu's look really smart, much slicker than the TM non-linux box menus. I might hold out a little and see if anyone else has had a play and if it's a stable little box..

Thanks again,
mcquaim

When you deicde, don't forget about this discount http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?12662-%A35-discount-off-any-satellite-receiver-we-stock-to-forum-members-only!&p=91591#post91591

dfdream
12-11-11, 15:28
All,

Any UK EPG or Bouquet type channels support on this.

Ta

Sicilian
12-11-11, 15:38
All,

Any UK EPG or Bouquet type channels support on this.

Ta

You can setup favourites like any other non-linux receiver. Show in time some made up channels lists will start appearing, remember this still new. Got mine tucked behind 21" LCD TV on wall. With just the little IR dome thing on the lead showing.

dfdream
12-11-11, 15:57
Any UK EPG or the capability to manage UK EPG.

Sicilian
12-11-11, 16:28
Any UK EPG or the capability to manage UK EPG.

Just ya basic now and next like most non-linux receivers.

gogoli
14-11-11, 21:27

Before going out and buying one of these, I would defo wait and read other reviews/accounts, and see what it's like. There's also a thread here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?13002-Sample-OSD-Pictures) that has some screens of the menus, might be worth a look before deciding also :)

Haw can be mislead when is the specification and no where is saying LINUX or Open Source!?

Who told you who OWN Eaglebox should produce only Linux !?

I thing, this is doing what is advertise in Gift box not only that even More....

gogoli
14-11-11, 21:38
To be Honest i can check what the box can do and what is the support..... I got one and I load the Last patch ....

Working Well Cccam and Newcamd ,Multimedia and PVR - Motorised and very smart picture quality For the price Sponsor is selling is Excellent Box....
I could not thing before i could buy HD box in Price of SD box in this stage..

pooface
14-11-11, 22:27
Haw can be mislead when is the specification and no where is saying LINUX or Open Source!?

Who told you who OWN Eaglebox should produce only Linux !?

I thing, this is doing what is advertise in Gift box not only that even More....

I was just stating for others who might think incorrectly. However, I think they get the picture now, so all we need is for more users of the box. If I were on the lookout for a cheap HD box, then this looks to definitely tick all the boxes, and would definitely go for one from everything I've read about them :thumbsup:

pcdee
20-11-11, 12:52
Hello all

First post....I have DM500 and bought this for my dad so he can connect to mine via ccam. The HD channels are spot on, good menu simple to setup you really can't go wrong for the price :thumbsup:

bassethound
22-11-11, 15:22
Got one on order from the site sponsor comments so far are looking good

irishweeman
08-12-11, 23:29
Good little box
Good HD quality
ccam working well
Box is quite noisy!
Crashes now and again changing channels after dec patch but this is a new receiver and hopefully any bugs etc will be fixed
Well worth £85

Sicilian
09-12-11, 06:30
Box is quite noisy!

The because its so small, compact and needs the cooling fan. After all its designed to be tucked away out of site ;)

irishweeman
12-12-11, 22:31
Not sure if any1 else having this problem. When I turn tv off overnight and turn back on the screen on HDMI is black. Only way to get a pic again is to power on/off at plug on tv!

silverfox0786
12-12-11, 22:36
gotta be yr TV as not had that at all yet

plus the fact you have to plug out tv and not box suggests its yr tv

jamesybhoy
13-12-11, 03:07
i love this little beauty and the only thing letting it down is the lack of tv list and editor(which i understand sre being developed).once these appear you will really struggle to beat this for value for money

Rob van der Does
13-12-11, 07:53
Not sure if any1 else having this problem. When I turn tv off overnight and turn back on the screen on HDMI is black. Only way to get a pic again is to power on/off at plug on tv!
It is a known fact that not all TV's are 100% compatible with the protocols used by several receivers. Also HDMI via an amplifier can cause this issue.
Sometimes disconnecting the HDMI-lead for a couple of seconds can also solve this. It might be wise to inform the manufacturer of your satellite receiver about this, providing him the exact make and model of you TV (as sometimes a small change in the implemented protocol can solve the issue for good).

silverfox0786
13-12-11, 11:02
i love this little beauty and the only thing letting it down is the lack of tv list and editor(which i understand sre being developed).once these appear you will really struggle to beat this for value for money

i dunno if its being developed or not now mate

i asked for an ETA on it and had my thread closed and told to basically piss off and stop complaining

btw this was on the official forum not here

mcquaim
13-12-11, 11:37
I saw that silverfox, they seem a little defensive over it...

silverfox0786
13-12-11, 16:17
defensive is an understatement lol

mcquaim
13-12-11, 16:27
I was thinking of asking for an update recently also but thankfully you beat me to it haha!

silverfox0786
13-12-11, 16:29
I was thinking of asking for an update recently also but thankfully you beat me to it haha!

yeah you would have gotten yr ass bit off too :lol3: but i can handle them ;)

bassethound
13-12-11, 17:01
you would think this would have been sorted by now as this would push sales in my eyes:confused:

i like how admin says just use A-Z but on multi sat use its a fringing nightmare to find any thing :D

i love some of the answers on the forum from admin:

user error
its being worked on as its a new box will be out soon
and there is nothing wrong with the way it is

ibrahim63400
13-12-11, 22:00
Hi. As I am writing this message I am almost drained and I would like to make a decision on either Eaglebox hd800 or technomate tm5402 hd or blade bm7000s. Now money is tight and I don't want too much out of my box. I just like to receive astra and turksat on one box with a good hd picture. As far as I can tell eaglebox hd800 will do the job but if the picture is anything like the "FORTEC STAR" box I bought over the weekend, I don't want something does not do the job and £89 gone down the drain. As I said I don't like fiddling arround with my box. Good picture and good menus will be enough. Thanks.

bassethound
13-12-11, 22:22
I would highly recommend the blade bm7000s you can download channel lists directly from there server and has a 7 day epg for the uk

and has a very good HD and SD image

mcquaim
13-12-11, 23:56
Hi bassethound,

Does the blade download the EPG data itself or is it the same as all the non-linux receivers that need tuning to the IEPG channel to get the EPG data each time you boot up?

Cheers,
mcquaim

jamesybhoy
14-12-11, 02:52
i dunno if its being developed or not now mate

i asked for an ETA on it and had my thread closed and told to basically piss off and stop complaining

btw this was on the official forum not here

thanks for the update silverfox tbh if they don`t bring out a tv list/editor before the new year i will punt my box! it is the only thing that lets the box down,and i might be being petty but i have other hd recievers (cheaper and more expensive)that provide this.the only draw to this apart from the price was the fact it could be hid behind your tv with a magic eye for your remote,but for me this is not a major factor.id rather have an editor/tv list than a hidden box

bassethound
14-12-11, 09:38
Hi bassethound,

Does the blade download the EPG data itself or is it the same as all the non-linux receivers that need tuning to the IEPG channel to get the EPG data each time you boot up?

Cheers,
mcquaim

You can set the box to wake it self up at any time and to start on any channel you want ie IEPG channel so the 7 day epg loaded and ready

mcquaim
14-12-11, 10:07
Cheers, that is a nice little feature alright.. If it goes back into standby is it then lost again?

A non-linux box that has a feature like this and could save the EPG data to a USB stick would clean up, wonder why this hasn't been developed...

Thanks,
mcquaim

bassethound
14-12-11, 11:03
Yes looses the epg once it goes to standby

pathfinder
11-01-12, 00:37
Got one of these today.

Very smooth and quick order and delivery to NI from Sponsor (Ordered late Sunday night, delivered before 13:00 Tues.....) Top marks WOS!

Got it to convert an old wall-mounted analogue LCD Flatscreen before digital switchover.

First impressions good and will post a fuller review of how I got on with setup etc. when I get a chance, within the next couple of days.

Cheers, Pathfinder

mcquaim
11-01-12, 20:09
My opinion is that this could be a great little box but the support for the patches has let it down.. To date very little has been released for this box but hopefully this will progress a bit quicker!

silverfox0786
11-01-12, 22:03
My opinion is that this could be a great little box but the support for the patches has let it down.. To date very little has been released for this box but hopefully this will progress a bit quicker!

i have to disagree with you there...

what do patches do?... they fix minor bugs as and when they occur or are found.
they dont and wont come every 5 mins

As a hd budget box to use for watching TV in true HD 1080p is a cracking box and does what its required to do

just that it dont have any of the fancy tinsel and thats not a bad thing as after all its a SATELLITE Reciver

Larry-G
11-01-12, 22:10
i have to disagree with you there...

what do patches do?... they fix minor bugs as and when they occur or are found.
they dont and wont come every 5 mins

As a hd budget box to use for watching TV in true HD 1080p is a cracking box and does what its required to do

just that it dont have any of the fancy tinsel and thats not a bad thing as after all its a SATELLITE Reciver

I have to agree with you there mate, first and foremost this is a satellite receiver, intended for people to watch satellite TV an job that it does rather well too. any other functions are a added bonus and while appreciated they are to be taken just as that a bonus.

bassethound
11-01-12, 22:18
I just wish they would pull out there finger and sort out a channel editor its the only thing thats really missing from the box

silverfox0786
11-01-12, 22:20
I just wish they would pull out there finger and sort out a channel editor its the only thing thats really missing from the box

yep waiting patiently so much so that even speaking the first letter of channel editor gets yr head ripped off by alsat lakies

bassethound
11-01-12, 22:23
lol i have given up daring to ask any questions on there been banned to often

i would rather crawl across the M6 backwards in rush hour that face a telling off/banning from the bittbull admins other there :D

pathfinder
11-01-12, 22:42
OK, so I've got it installed and working now.

The TV is a Phillips 32PF5320 LCD HD Ready TV (bought in 2006) which was already wall mounted close to a double electrical socket and Coax single cable supply.

To get a sat feed to the TV from my dish (with quad LNB) using the single coax and rather than run a second cable to the roof space and down to the room I used a pair of sat/tv combiner units - one to combine nearest the dish and one to separate again at the Philips TV.......this has worked perfect with strong signals on both sat and also digital Freeview TV via a TVONICS miniature digital TV tuner I already had (that's stuck to the TV as well).

I used a pair of TP-Link powerline plugs to provide the internet connection to the sat box. With one of the two available sockets used up, I needed some more power sockets at the TV on the wall so just used a 4-plug strip which I stuck behind the TV.

The Phillips TV has a DVI input not HDMI, so while I do have a DVI-HDMI converter plug it just carries the picture not sound, so that was my first fail. I could workaround this by probably using a cable to connect the standard AV output from the Eaglebox to the audio input of TV as well as the HDMI-DVI Converter, but decided to just use the SD AV cable provided with the Eaglebox. Picture quality is still pretty good with this, so it will do for now.

If you have a HDMI connection on your TV, you will not have an issue and the fact that a HDMI cable is supplied in the box is a bonus.

I then connected the IR remote eye to the bottom of the TV and with everything connected powered up.

Used the menu system to select Astra/Euro 1 to start with and pressed blue button for a scan. It quickly pulled in the channels, although the transponder listing must be a bit out of date as it did not pull everything expected ... e.g. BBC HD and BBC1 HD, but it did pull in the ITV HD channnels. Adding the additional transponders or downloading a newer software if there is one, I'm sure will fix that.

Picture quality very good and the box is doing what I wanted it to do. The fan is a bit nosier than I would have liked, but not a showstopper. The Eaglebox is not getting too hot in use, so the fan is doing its job.

Overall, happy so far.............

Pathfinder

pathfinder
11-01-12, 22:58
OK found network search option in satellite scan......That should add the latest transponders.........

mcquaim
11-01-12, 23:19
Do you guys honestly reckon this little box is currently up to scratch?

You can set the channels to favourite groups FAV1-FAV8 but rembering what you put into each group is a pain. Perhaps this would be sorted in this mystery channel list editor but I'm not holding my breath to be honest.

Also, when I was buying this it was advertised as being a "Network PVR" but since then this has been shot down as a no go.. I heard talk that this feature might come in down the line but again not holding my breath.

I also have some issues with the softcam but not going to go into detail... Again, hoping the next patch might sort this out for me..

Don't get me wrong, for such a low price it is prob what I should expect and be happy it works at all.

pathfinder
15-01-12, 14:06
Now got my box working 1080i HD with this box (max the older TV will support - the Eaglebox can output 1080p). Used HDMI to DVI plug on the HDMI cable for video. Used a L/R audio phono to single 3.5mm jack for the audio input to TV.

Picture quality very good from this tiny box.

One little odd quirk is that the remote eye turns to red when box is on and is blue when off. I would have preferred it the other way round to be in keeping with other electronic devices.

So, over all really excellent box with lots of plus points. The biggest minus for me is the fan noise, especially at low TV volume levels, but can live with that.

silverfox0786
15-01-12, 14:13
do you mean the remote eye on the actual box

as mine turns red for off and green for off

never seen it turn blue

pathfinder
15-01-12, 19:24
I mean the little light at the end of the IR extender lead, which I have stuck at the bottom of the TV alongside a minature TVONICS DVB-T tuner. Off for me is blue om the Eaglebox IR extender and red when on. The Eaglebox is stuck to the rear of the TV out of sight.

Not a problem for me....just seemed upside down logic.

silverfox0786
16-01-12, 23:10
will have a look at that later see what its all about