PDA

View Full Version : Project Valerie - A few questions

Flyingpig
09-11-11, 15:27
Hello All,

I took the plunge and installed PV last night. It installed okay then needed updating. I updated it, restatred E2 then when it cam back on I can't find it anywhere in any of the menu's to run it.

When I go to download plugins it is not there to download. So I guess it is installed but I can't find it - or how to use or start it?

Any ideas - or is it worth leaving well alone and not messing up my system which I am happy with?

Thanks,

FP.

Larry-G
09-11-11, 15:30
Hello All,

I took the plunge and installed PV last night. It installed okay then needed updating. I updated it, restatred E2 then when it cam back on I can't find it anywhere in any of the menu's to run it.

When I go to download plugins it is not there to download. So I guess it is installed but I can't find it - or how to use or start it?

Any ideas - or is it worth leaving well alone and not messing up my system which I am happy with?

Thanks,

FP.

you dont update PV at all, just download the version in the Feeds and leave that alone. PV will be updated when you update ViX.

The Lambton Worm
09-11-11, 21:15
I have the exact same problem.

Downloaded and installed the link that Cucosat posted in the other PV thread. Whilst installing the message screen said it was downloading and installing a newer version from the ViX feeds. This seemed to work as when I rebooted the STB I got a wizard asking me a couple of questions for some settings. I answered these and got a message saying PV had installed correctly and was ready to use.

I can't find it anywhere in any of the menus.

The Lambton Worm
09-11-11, 21:56
OK

Followed some instructions on another thread. I deleted the plugin. Reboot. Install PV from ViX feed. It works!!! Well, sort of. Not picking up any of my films or tv shows. Keeps on asking for if I want to update too so...... Update. Doesn't work anymore. I will not be using this plugin again as it doesn't do what it says on the tin.

Larry-G
09-11-11, 22:00
well as i have said in many threads over the last few days DO NOT UPDATE PROJECT VALERIE install the one from the ViX feeds and use that. when you update ViX it will update PV then, if you update it the way you have you will break it. plain and simple.

as for it not picking up your movies etc, i have no idea as to why as on my uno i have a internal 320 GB 2.5 hdd along with a 500GB NAS drive and a external 1TB drive in one of the rear USB sockets. with a quick scan PV picks up every movie and TV show i have on all these drives.

Flyingpig
09-11-11, 22:11
Okay - I will have a go later on at removing>rebooting>reinstalling...

Another question - is it worth it? It does look good though.

Larry-G
09-11-11, 22:21
well to be honest PV is really nothing more than a nice looking GUI.

Cucosat
10-11-11, 18:13
Downloaded and installed the link that Cucosat posted in the other PV thread. Whilst installing the message screen said it was downloading and installing a newer version from the ViX feeds.
Did you follow the steps I outlined in this thread?
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?10549-Project-Valerie-unable-to-update

Otherwise it will install old PV files from the feed instead of the one you just downloaded.

It's true that PV is mostly a nice GUI, but that's exactly what we want. We want a nice presentation and menu system for our media files without the clutter.
Additionally, PV is able to keep track of your viewed movies and tv-shows by using trakt.tv and you can mark movies and episodes as "seen" and have a visual aid to keep track of your watched episodes in the dark swan theme for PV. That's very helpful if you're watching more than a few series at a time.

So don't ever install PV from the plugin menu, just telnet/ssh into the box, move the package files in the /var/lib/opkg folder to a temp folder, install the .ipk package manually and move the package files back into /var/lib opkg. You can actually also just delete the package files, the install the PV package and then update the package files:
opkg updateThat will update and create the package files in /var/lib/opkg.

Joe90
15-11-11, 13:49
I have been "playing" for a few days now, especially with the "synchronisation", but can get it to work as i want. Yep, and dont laugh it loads up TV series like "x-factor" okay, but not spooks and other, and when you go into failed files and edit there doesnt appear to be anyway of changing.

The same files look great using the "Enhanced media Centre" pluging and seem to pickup the info from the associated files in the directory.

Have tried using IMDB tt tags, applying folder settings (TV, FILM, etc) and have also created a separate directory "series" and copied the files in there.

Are there any better guides around, other than that on the PV wiki site?

Cucosat
16-11-11, 01:40
PV likes the files to be named something like Spooks.S01E01.avi, it doesn't look in the metadata files created when recording things.
Are you using the PV webinterface for editing database entries?

Joe90
16-11-11, 13:51
Yep, either the web interface or actually tried the "manage" within PV itself.

I will try changing the file name and see what happens. Tnx