PDA

View Full Version : Wireless usb stick - with VIX image? recommendations please!

hiohaa
09-11-11, 13:59
hi all.

would like to get a wireless usb stick for my vu duo. I found on the forum this list:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?518-Wifi-usb-adapter-that-works-with-dream-elite-image

that was posted in may 2010 - has there been any update since?
i normally buy most of my stuff off ebuyer...
also I use VIX image so i dont know what would work with the latest VIX image.

please help! thanks.

Sicilian
09-11-11, 14:03
Wireless USB sticks are very hit and miss, check these out as a better alternative http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Networking-WiFi/Tenda-150Mbps-Portable-Wireless-Access-Point-Router-Wireless-wifibridge-WIFI-W150M

Donnie
09-11-11, 14:24
100% go with the advice from Sicillian, a great piece of kit, looks like I will be buying another soon to replace the USB device I have in my Solo.:D

Sicilian
09-11-11, 14:41
Oh yea, another good thing is that these divices dont need to use up valuable USB ports to power them. You have the option of using the supplied PSU or supplied USB lead ;)

belierzz
09-11-11, 14:51
The supplied PSU has an UK mains connector, I assume? Would need one for Germany (don't like adaptors, and Tenda W150m seems not to be avialable in Germany).

Sicilian
09-11-11, 15:02
The supplied PSU has an UK mains connector, I assume? Would need one for Germany (don't like adaptors, and Tenda W150m seems not to be avialable in Germany).

Yes, I'm afriad sponsor's one's have a 3pin plug.

belierzz
09-11-11, 15:10
Bad luck - thanks anyway

Donnie
09-11-11, 15:57
Bad luck - thanks anyway

Any mains USB adapter will do such as one for an ipod etc :D

belierzz
09-11-11, 17:03
Any mains USB adapter will do such as one for an ipod etc :D

Yep, I know, but as stated above: don't like the adapter solution too much...

Sicilian
09-11-11, 18:23
Yep, I know, but as stated above: don't like the adapter solution too much...

What Donnie is trying to say is that the Power supply that comes with the Unit just has a USB output where you plugin the USB lead to power the unit. So if you have a power supply with a USB output you will be fine. For instance ipod chargers/psu have usb output.

belierzz
09-11-11, 19:42
Ok, got it. Have several of those 5V PSUs around. Time to vist the sponsor, eh?

Edit: £12.54 p&p to Germany? No one to blame, but too much...

world-of-satellite.co.uk
09-11-11, 20:44
Ok, got it. Have several of those 5V PSUs around. Time to vist the sponsor, eh?

Edit: £12.54 p&p to Germany? No one to blame, but too much...

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. The shipping costs for Germany, need updating. Will post back when done.

judge
09-11-11, 21:07
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. The shipping costs for Germany, need updating. Will post back when done.

Any updates for Irish shipping?
Works out at £30.70! for one shipped to Ireland.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
09-11-11, 21:26
All european shipping costs revised for the Tenda W150M to the best that we can offer.

belierzz
10-11-11, 12:44
All european shipping costs revised for the Tenda W150M to the best that we can offer.

And with going down on £18.00 for the Tenda W150M I now have ordered one... Please hurry! :thumbsup:

fintannl
06-02-12, 20:16
had to use other supplier for the tenda as a cost of £20 postage is simply far too much to ireland. I have ordered 2 of these off www.world-of-satellite.com which I received via normal post after 7 days at £20 postage. Since then I've ordered similar from other supplier at the same price with postage at £10 and this was via DHL so it arrived within 2 days to Ireland