PDA

View Full Version : All Best Buy UK superstores to be shut down

Larry-G
07-11-11, 14:20
http://cdn3.afterdawn.fi/v3/news/carphone_warehouse_logo.jpg

Carphone Warehouse will close all of Best Buy UK superstores, citing very disappointing financial performance.
Each of the 11 stores opened at some point in 2010, after being delayed for opens in 2009.

Best Buy and Carphone teamed up to bring the popular American retailer to Europe, but competition and a Europe on the brink of recession has killed the venture.

Performance was so bad that Carphone's plans to launch 200 stores in the EU by 2013 was scrapped after the first 11 were built.

When asked for comment, Carphone only had this to say (via Lint):

We always said we would open 11 stores and then conduct a strategy review. We are now conducting our evaluation with our partners and will provide an update in due course.

To date, the stores have accumulated 115 million pounds in losses.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2011/11/07/all_best_buy_uk_superstores_to_be_shut_down

pooface
07-11-11, 14:35
lmao ... wtf they expect to happen?! THey only had 11 stores across the UK. From those 11, the closest to me was a good hour or more journey. That means that I would not go to their store. Probably the same for many others. Now, the bestbuy online website, I used that quite a few times, and would've gone to their store to purchase what I'd purchased if they had one locally! So, they only really got themselves to blame here imo...

Stanman
07-11-11, 14:37
Agree with you PF nearest to me was South London, good three hours for a 40 mile trek. Also there weren't particularly "bestbuy" either.;)

Larry-G
07-11-11, 14:42
lmao ... wtf they expect to happen?! THey only had 11 stores across the UK. From those 11, the closest to me was a good hour or more journey. That means that I would not go to their store. Probably the same for many others. Now, the bestbuy online website, I used that quite a few times, and would've gone to their store to purchase what I'd purchased if they had one locally! So, they only really got themselves to blame here imo...

pretty much the same here to be fair. as a online retailer they were fantastic and i have bought many many items from them although i have never been to a physical bricks and mortar store. hell i dont even know where the nearest to me is.

Sicilian
07-11-11, 14:52
Omg, they're only just opened a store near me, couple of months ago.

punisher
07-11-11, 14:57
Got one roud the corner. Pretty good deals in there although never brought anything