PDA

View Full Version : Where to store / install PICONS too on my ET 9000?

Flyingpig
07-11-11, 00:14
Hello All,

Exactly as above really - can I put them on USB stick along with the EPG? Or do they have to go on an internal HDD or flash memory? I would prefer them on a usb - but not sure how to point the box to them.

Thanks.

FP.

basilyoung
07-11-11, 00:23
yes it goes to usb, but right now, thats all I can say, as so far, I hav,nt botherd with picons :eek:

Rob van der Does
07-11-11, 06:19
HDD is a very bad idea: slow and in case the HDD is asleep even very very slow. USB is an alternative, but flash is the most appropriate location (especially on a box having so much memory).
Using Picons from the feeds, these locations are being offered during the install procedure (but USB only if the stick is formatted in Ext2/3/4).

im85288
07-11-11, 13:23
I have mine on USB, formatted in windows. All you need to do is copy the picon folder to root and the Vix image picks it up automatically. If you want to view them in the guide, change the number of visable channels to something like 05.

Flyingpig
07-11-11, 13:27
Thanks for the replies...How do I transfer them from my HDD to Flash and for the STB to pick them up from there. I have installed them on the USB and formatted it to ext 3 (i think),

The folder is about 25 meg with all the picons in.

FP.

EDIT - DIdnt see the post above before I posted this ----- Thanks.

Rob van der Does
07-11-11, 13:56
A picon folder of 25MB? Do you have movies in there? Mine is approx 9MB, for 4 satellites.
A good picon-set has a lot of symlinks; that makes a big difference in size. But SymLinks are not supported on FAT-formatted sticks.

kunmun23
15-05-12, 12:48
Hi,
I have my picons and epg stored on a USB. Was wondering if I could put both on the internal flash memory to free up a USB port (and a USB stick). Need help in figuring where do I need to put the picon folder and epg and which paths need to be set?
Is it a good idea to keep both picons and epg on the internal flash or should I stay with the USB stick option?

HDD is a very bad idea: slow and in case the HDD is asleep even very very slow. USB is an alternative, but flash is the most appropriate location (especially on a box having so much memory).
Using Picons from the feeds, these locations are being offered during the install procedure (but USB only if the stick is formatted in Ext2/3/4).

Rob van der Does
15-05-12, 13:16
For picons flash is the very best location.
epg.dat can be set to flash; this should normally give no problems (but it is a bit dangerous: if the amount of epg-data is to much, flash might get to full).