PDA

View Full Version : New to Linux

Plumbob
05-11-11, 10:45
Hi, i have just got back into sattelite after 20 yr break.
Have got tm5402 working fine with softcam, on a Triax 110/TM2600, self install on a scaffold pole in ground.
I am now officially an oap, but the brain still works most [ok some] of the time..

Now to my quesstion, i have on its way to me a Vu+Solo, thought it would be a good starter box for linux ..
Understand i need to flash with either vix or bh,gonner try vix as this forum seems well supported..
PLEASE point me in the right dirrection to start me off, but rember although not an idiot it takes a bit longer for things to sink in at my time of life ,,any help appreciated thanks

ps can get 45w to 45 e

Stanman
05-11-11, 11:05
If you look in the solo forum the latest image is in there, just need to transfer it to USB. Also flashing instructions are there in the first sticky. Hello andwelcome to the forum.

satmanbasil
06-11-11, 00:56
Hi mate

Welcome back to the hobby ... when you receive your vu solo it should have an image already installed maybe a basic manufacturer image.
To install the Vix image or any others your best way is via a usb stick..check sticky pages on vu duo forum for popular models.
Download the USB version of vix image to your pc and unzip/rar it to a folder. Plug your usb into your pc and use a usb format tool to clean/format using fat32 .... Then done on the usb make a folder called vuplus open that and make another folder inside called solo open that and copy/paste the 3 files that you downloaded in the win/rar file
boot_cfe_auto.jffs2
Kernel_cfe_auto
root_cfe_auto.jffs2
Now remove usb from the pc and eith unplug the vusolo or press the reset button on the rear and insert the usb into the front usb port release the reset button or plug in
Because the vusolo has no lcd display you need to watch the led light on the left side ... this will go from orange to red as it programes, it takes a short while so dont worry it will turn flashing green when completed.
Pressing the reset button at the rear again hold it in while u remove the usb stick then release this will start the install process of the new image.
After a shorty while if your tv is connected via hdmi your see the installation screen appear.. follow the onscreen guide it tells you what buttons u need to press. when it completed and your network has been config right i wud suggest pressing the blue button and scroll down to VIX then scroll down to software update just to make sure u have all the latest updates installed when thats done the box will auto restart again.
Now once rebooted if u press the menu and navigate to plugins by pressing the green button u can access extra downloads like latest settings ect.
If you need more information the forum has many help posting and do not be scared to ask as many here are only too happy to help newbies get a working knowledge of these wonderful receivers.
Best of luck

satmanbasil