PDA

View Full Version : Help setting up my Vu for the first time.

bigfella
28-10-11, 16:08
Is there a way of directly showing the favourites EPG as I have over 1000 channels (60%) of them unwanted in the "All" list.

Maybe its just some tuition required on my behalf!

Stanman
28-10-11, 16:21
I do 1 on 1 tuition, if your female blond and under 30,:D if not follow these threads.

how to upload the settings http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3836-How-to-update-channels-on-DUO-SOLO-using-DBEdit-the-easy-way

The settings to use http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8059-ViX-Team-Enigma-2-HD-settings-for-28.2E

bigfella
28-10-11, 16:22
I'm a 19 year old blonde virgin....

Stanman
28-10-11, 16:23
:thumbsup::thumbsup::sleep::welcome::tea:

bigfella
28-10-11, 17:00
Cheers, am on the scanning part now. Satellite.xml goes into the var\etc directory but where do the other files like bouquets go?

bigfella
28-10-11, 17:05
Cheers, am on the scanning part now. Satellite.xml goes into the var\etc directory but where do the other files like bouquets go?

Stanman
28-10-11, 17:16
You need something like dreamboxedit to load the settings onto the box. The software is here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?10123-DreamBoxEdit-v4.1.0.1

bigfella
28-10-11, 19:40
Cheers, I think I have cracked it more or less. Bit of a brainache!

Larry-G
28-10-11, 19:50

if your using VIX i would recommend you place the new satellites.xml file into etc/enigma2 then reboot the box so it can take effect, this way you retain the default satellites.xml file within etc/tuxbox as a fall back in case something goes wrong at a later date.

look here for more details.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?11987-How-To-Update-Your-Satellites.xml-File

bigfella
29-10-11, 09:50
Cheers Pheonix, I backed up the originals so it should be OK. So the box actually checks for a satellites.xml in the etc/enigma2 folder first?

Quick question about picons, I noticed in dreamboxedit that the folder for them is set to /media/usb/picons/, however that folder doesn't seem to be on my box. I understand the /media/usb is actually the physical USB port? What have others done to overcome this as I cannot see the icons in the EPG.

bigfella
29-10-11, 09:59
Ah ha, I see whats going on. I have corrected dreamboxedit to dump them in /media/hdd/picon as I understand Enigma looks here. (I installed a HDD btw).

Sent files to the box, all looking lovely.

Larry-G
29-10-11, 10:02
The ViX image will search for the picons so long as they are in named correctly as your above example shows, you can also save them to either the hard drive or directly to the flash memory of the box although these are not recommended locations. for example if your picons are saved to the HDD the drive will physically spin up every single time you so much as change a channel, this can cause very serious lagging problems not to mention the annoyance off hearing the drive spin up all the time. The same pretty much applies to using the flash memory as the box will have to access this memory again causing some slowdown of the box.

personally i would recommend you install a USB stick ( make sure to mount it properly first under the vix mount manager ) then place them as above and the image will do the rest.

bigfella
29-10-11, 10:11
Pheonix, fair point about the HDD spinning up. 2gb USB installed and doing the business as I type...

bigfella
29-10-11, 10:14
Files have been transferred to USB now...lets test.

bigfella
29-10-11, 10:15
Yep, all working from the USB now. I formatted it as MSDOS on my Mac and mounted it to /media/USB. I take it that its fine to use FAT?

Larry-G
29-10-11, 10:17
Yep, all working from the USB now. I formatted it as MSDOS on my Mac and mounted it to /media/USB. I take it that its fine to use FAT?

yes thats how mine is formatted in my Uno.

also as this is now getting a wee bit technical i'll move the posts out of the intro thread into a more appropriate section so that they may help others as this section is really only meant for introductions.

bigfella
29-10-11, 10:33
Great thank you - might even place a donation in the pot.

Rob van der Does
29-10-11, 11:08
Cheers Pheonix, I backed up the originals so it should be OK. So the box actually checks for a satellites.xml in the etc/enigma2 folder first?
That is correct. If the file is not found there, it will use the system-file in etc/tuxbox.

yes thats how mine is formatted in my Uno.
Most Picon-sets contain symlinks (to make the number of actual picons less); these are not supported by FAT-formatted media.

Larry-G
29-10-11, 11:11
Most Picon-sets contain symlinks (to make the number of actual picons less); these are not supported by FAT-formatted media.

indeed, however my picon sets do not contain symlinks and they work just fine as is, so i'm more than happy to keep it as is for the time being.

Rob van der Does
29-10-11, 11:26
indeed, however my picon sets do not contain symlinks and they work just fine as is, so i'm more than happy to keep it as is for the time being.
Yes, of course. Just a point of attention for those using other picon-sets.
And FAT also has the advantage of allowing for images to be flashed. Once a FAT-stick is in the box's backside you can leave it there, and FTP any wanted images to there (so the whole upgrade procedure can be done remotely).

bigfella
29-10-11, 14:33
How would you press CH- to kick off the flash though....

Rob van der Does
29-10-11, 15:04
How would you press CH- to kick off the flash though....
Don't need to. If you don't push the "CH+" to accept the flash, the box will boot normally (after a short pause). Having the image available that way, you are always ready for a reflash.

Larry-G
29-10-11, 16:03
I think rob meant the Uno mate as with the Uno you do need to press the CH- button on the receiver in order to kick the box into flash mode, and read the image from the usb stick.

Stanman
29-10-11, 16:05
I think rob meant the Uno mate as with the Uno you do need to press the CH- button on the receiver in order to kick the box into flash mode, and read the image from the usb stick.

I realized and deleted my post:D

bigfella
29-10-11, 16:05
Ahh I see, well I have it running nicely now. Switched the EPG to close EPG with the preview - looks great.

Only issue is that I think since doing an online Vix update my Picons are not showing. I have FTP'd in and checked that they are still there on the USB and accessible.

Stanman
29-10-11, 16:06
Ahh I see, well I have it running nicely now. Switched the EPG to close EPG with the preview - looks great.

Only issue is that I think since doing an online Vix update my Picons are not showing. I have FTP'd in and checked that they are still there on the USB and accessible.

Press blue button>VIX>Mount Manager and see if the USB is mounted as USB, if not remount it as USB using the green button

bigfella
29-10-11, 16:09
Yes since rebooting it has mounted as \media\sdb1 - I need it mounted as \media\USB. Is there anyway to default it at that?

silverfox0786
29-10-11, 16:28

what witha name like that :roflmao:

bigfella
29-10-11, 16:45
Yea boi! ;)

Sicilian
29-10-11, 16:47
Moved to correct section ;)

Rob van der Does
29-10-11, 17:15

what witha name like that :roflmao:
Must be undercover/in disguise.
Or simply a 19 year old blond virgin bigfella.......

Stanman
29-10-11, 17:18
Yes since rebooting it has mounted as \media\sdb1 - I need it mounted as \media\USB. Is there anyway to default it at that?

Just remount as USB and it will be fine. If it crashes you might need to redo it but unlikely. Make sure when you remount it you save and restart for changes to take effect.