PDA

View Full Version : Orignal VIX image to install HDD

Bubs
28-10-11, 18:19
Hi there,

New to this forum and new to VU Duo box. I have spent a bit of time roaming this forum and have found my way to getting my VU DUO box up and running with VIX 2.2 image. I now wanted to install my 1TB eSATA HDD in the box. I read in a tutorial that I should first install the original image as later images may not work. Can anyone help me locate this original image so that I can attempt this please.

Kind regards and thank you in advance.

Stanman
28-10-11, 18:39
The original image being referred to is the manufacturers image. Some people have had problems in getting the HDD set up and have resolved it with using that image. My self have put two HDD in both Seagate and never had issues. Try it with the VIX image and if that does not work than use the original image to mount and format it.

basilyoung
28-10-11, 18:40
First of all, I would see if the sata drive is seen by the unit, as is

go menu, setup,system, hard disk ( if its not showing, then its not seen )

if it is seen, select "initialization"

regards to the orig image, I will find it for you shortly

basilyoung
28-10-11, 18:42
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?11927-New-Image-%28V-6.0%29-Released-Duo

here you go

Bubs
28-10-11, 18:58
Thanks guys, will try it with the current VIX image and see how it goes. Will let you know how it went.

Cheers

Bubs
15-11-11, 20:55
Hi Guys, I have finally managed to get a couple of hours alone in the house with the missus and kids out so have just attempted this HDD install. I am getting stuck at the Initiallization stage where although I can see the HDD in Hard disk menu, but when I press Initiallise, and then yes, nothing really happens after even 30 minutes. All I can see is that the Vu Duo displays "Initialization" on the LCD display but nothing on the tv. I tried the File system check but that just goes around in a circle back to the select HDD menu.

I thought I would try the original image as Basilyoung posted above. However in this archive link I see the following listed:

vuplus-image-vuuno-20111011002738_usb.zip
release_note.txt
duo_cfe_3_0_usb.zip
vuplus-image-bm750-20111011001438_usb.zip
vuplus-image-bm750-20111011001438.nfi
vuplus-image-vusolo-20111011002124.nfi
vuplus-image-vusolo-20111011002124_usb.zip
vuplus-image-vuuno-20111011002738.nfi

I guessed for my Vu Duo, it must be the vuplus-image-bm750-20111011001438_usb.zip right? I tried downloading that but winzip says it is corrupted. Could you please advise which one I need for my Vu Duo and also do I need the cfe_3_0 boot loader file as it mentions in the text file. Your responce would be very much appreciated. Bubs

Larry-G
15-11-11, 20:59
yes
vuplus-image-bm750-20111011001438_usb.zip is the one you need. i would however say that rather than using winzip to decompress the archive use either winrar or 7-zip as they are far less likely to give you corruption issues.

Bubs
15-11-11, 21:03
Actually as I exited out of the Hard disc menu, I now see an error message which reads;

Initialising storage device....
Error:mke2fs 1.41.12(17-May-2010)
/dev/sda1 is mounted; will not make a filesystem here!

Hopefully this means something to someone who can shed some light on what is happening on my ybox.

Bubs
15-11-11, 21:26
Thanx Phoenix, i did as you said using Win Rar and it extracted OK. Before I attemt loading this image do I need to first un-install the HDD from eth box? Also is there a way to save all my configs as they are at present in teh Vu Duo running Vix 2.2 so that when I return back to this image I can simply restore all condigs back to save me the hassleof putting everthing back manually? Cheers Bubs

Larry-G
15-11-11, 21:53
if your running Vix 2.2 go into the backup manager ( blue button / vix / backup manager also while there make a image backup too blue button / vix / image manager ) and make a backup of your settings, but just to be safe i would also make a backup of your configuration files too just in case.

Bubs
15-11-11, 22:53
Hi There Pheonix,

Before I did anything else, I just checked in the Recording Paths menu and I see the Default movie location as /hdd/movie/ and the Timeshift location as /media/hdd/ Does this not mean that it has intialised the HDD and I don't need to roll back to this original image? I tried pressing the record buton and I get a red light on the box like it is recording. Don't know how to play it back to check if it worked. Could you advise how to play back recordings? Also in the blue button / vix I didn't see back up manager as you suggestd but I did see Mount Manager so went in to that. Here I saw my HDD displayed so I just performed a set mount and once finished I restarted teh box. Not sure what this actually does. Could you shed some light on what I have just done and is it right?

Cheers Bubs.

Stanman
15-11-11, 22:55
Yes the HDD has mounted properly. To watch the recording back just to the right of the menu button is the button to watch the recording.

Larry-G
15-11-11, 23:22
as stanman said your HDD is now mounted properly. i would now so a full software update. blue button / ViX/ software update. if your using ViX 2.2.100 you should have both a backup manager and a image manager heading in the blue button ViX menu so you can make backups etc.

Bubs
15-11-11, 23:39
Thanks guys, I managed to play back some of the England game I recorded. Very happy that it all works. Silly question how can I see what software version I am running as I believe it is VIX 2.2 but as I said, I don't have back up manager so maybe I'm running another version of VIX. In the mean time I just went to blue button / Software updat and just cliked yes to start this. Will this update the software to the latest VIX 2.2.100?

Bubs
15-11-11, 23:42
OK I now see Backup Manager in the blue button / Vix. Guess i'm now on version 2.2.100. Would still like to know where I can see this. Now I will attempt a backup.:D

Larry-G
15-11-11, 23:57
to see what version your on hit menu then information / info ( not near my box so cant think of the exact name )

Bubs
16-11-11, 00:04
Thanx Phoenix, its under menu / information / about. It shows my image as 2.2.110. Hopefully the missus wil be impressed when I show her teh new recording functionalty on teh box. Thankyou to you and Stanman for the help. Will look at to see if I can find some helpfull tutorial on timeshifting and EPG. Half of my EPG is always missing so I do a manual download. Maybe now I have the HDD I can store it on that so it is always there.

Larry-G
16-11-11, 00:07
Thanx Phoenix, its under menu / information / about. It shows my image as 2.2.110. Hopefully the missus wil be impressed when I show her teh new recording functionalty on teh box. Thankyou to you and Stanman for the help. Will look at to see if I can find some helpfull tutorial on timeshifting and EPG. Half of my EPG is always missing so I do a manual download. Maybe now I have the HDD I can store it on that so it is always there.

no worries, there is always some one on site willing to help as and when we can, after all we were all newbies once upon a time ( and some of us still are even after 22 years in this hobby lol )

DJS
18-11-11, 17:53
My Vu wouldnt even boot with my new hard drive installed on Vix image, I just connected it to my laptop as an external and formatted it to one big ext3 partition using Minitool partition wizard, instead of installing original image on VU. Worked a treat