PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Duo - a few questions.

ILM16
27-10-11, 21:33
Hey,

I've got a few questions about the VU+ Duo, any one who has one I'd appreciate some responses.

a) Can you use two outputs at the same time?
b) Similarly, is it possible to use 3 or 4 outputs (HDMI, Scart, Composite, Component) in any combination at the same time?

2. Can you separate the tuners in such a way that you can watch 'Tuner A' on the HDMI output, whilst 'Tuner B' is on another output? I know that would need some modification but is it possible?

Thanks,

basilyoung
27-10-11, 21:39
Hey,

I've got a few questions about the VU+ Duo, any one who has one I'd appreciate some responses.

a) Can you use two outputs at the same time?
b) Similarly, is it possible to use 3 or 4 outputs (HDMI, Scart, Composite, Component) in any combination at the same time?

2. Can you separate the tuners in such a way that you can watch 'Tuner A' on the HDMI output, whilst 'Tuner B' is on another output? I know that would need some modification but is it possible?

Thanks,

the second tuner can record whilst you watch tuner A or B, only one output can be used I think

you can though, stream to your comp and watch say a film, whilst the TV is showing say footy

Q2, you could do, but no piccy will be possible, as the unit can only output a single picture ( not to br confused with PIP )

jcm193
27-10-11, 21:42

A- You can watch one channel and record something else if you have a dual output lnb etc,i have two dishes so i can watch sky uk and record from a different satellite at the same time

B I know you can use hdmi and composite at the same time,not sure about all four outputs

2- I think this is the same as answer B above as you have to setup up your outputs when you run the install wizard.

ILM16
27-10-11, 21:45
Sorry, should make this clearer.

1a) Can I use both say the HDMI and Scart outputs together to show the same picture?

jcm193
27-10-11, 21:46
I use hdmi and composite as ive got my slingplayer connected to in affect your outputing the same picture to two different devices i dont see why it would not work ie composite to another tv monitor.

Sorry, should make this clearer.

1a) Can I use both say the HDMI and Scart outputs together to show the same picture?

ILM16
27-10-11, 21:47
You can watch one channel and record something else if you have a dual output lnb etc,i have two dishes so i can watch sky uk and record from a different satellite at the same time

How did you set that up? I've got 2 dishes. A static 28.2E one and a motor, would it be possible to power the motor and record from 28.2E?

basilyoung
27-10-11, 21:49
How did you set that up? I've got 2 dishes. A static 28.2E one and a motor, would it be possible to power the motor and record from 28.2E?

yes, in fact the unit can control 2 motorized dishes

jcm193
27-10-11, 21:50
Both motorised for me 1.25 runs of usals Diseq1.2 thats Tuner B, Tuner A 36 volt vbox 1.8 channel master not using usals but still using diseq 1.2 to answer your question you can have both dished use 28.2e mine defaults to B first then if iam recording anything Tuner A will move the bigger dish onto 28.2e so you can watch something else

ILM16
27-10-11, 21:51
yes, in fact the unit can control 2 motorized dishes

Both motorised for me 1.25 runs of usals Diseq1.2, Tuner B Tuner A 36 volt vbox 1.8 channel master not using usals but still using diseq 1.2

Wow, how would you switch between them then?

Regarding a static and a motor, I don't see how I'd be able to record on the static. I understand how it's possible, there are two tuners, but how you tell the box to make sure it uses the static?

Rob van der Does
27-10-11, 21:53
ad 2: As stated above streaming to a PC/Laptop is possible. But you can also use an other E2 box for that, using the Partnerbox plugin. That can be the cheapest box you can find, as long as it is running E2 and that plugin (and is HD-capable if requred).

ILM16
27-10-11, 21:55
ad 2: As stated above streaming to a PC/Laptop is possible. But you can also use an other E2 box for that, using the Partnerbox plugin. That can be the cheapest box you can find, as long as it is running E2 and that plugin (and is HD-capable if requred).

So you mean the VU+ Duo streams to another E2 box, using the 2nd tuner? Does that work on the same network only?

jcm193
27-10-11, 21:59
You can default the static dish as 28.2e only then tuner b will be everything else your receiver will know what uses what and should do it automatically mine aways uses tuner b for 28.2 e first then tuner a if tuner b is being used.

Wow, how would you switch between them then?

Regarding a static and a motor, I don't see how I'd be able to record on the static. I understand how it's possible, there are two tuners, but how you tell the box to make sure it uses the static?

basilyoung
27-10-11, 22:02
yes...local network only

ILM16
27-10-11, 22:18
You can default the static dish as 28.2e only then tuner b will be everything else your receiver will know what uses what and should do it automatically mine aways uses tuner b for 28.2 e first then tuner a if tuner b is being used.

Interesting. So I'd connect my 28.2E dish to Tuner B, if I were to record a program on say BBC1, the VU would use Tuner B by default?

Regarding two motors:
Can you switch between watching Tuner A and watching Tuner B? Is that how you move each motor individually?

yes...local network only

Thanks,

basilyoung
27-10-11, 22:27
there is an option in the set up menu to have a preferred tuner for recording, normally this would be the static dish, that way, any other required recording would go to the other tuner, ie the motorized dish

two motors,...again the preferred tuner option would sort this out

ILM16
27-10-11, 22:43
I think I've convinced.

Just any one with the Duo, I'd love them to test the HDMI with the Scart at the same time. Thanks.

basilyoung
27-10-11, 23:01
I think I've convinced.

Just any one with the Duo, I'd love them to test the HDMI with the Scart at the same time. Thanks.

just checked,..and yes you can use scart/hdmi

ILM16
27-10-11, 23:39
just checked,..and yes you can use scart/hdmi

Any chance you could try HDMI, Scart and Composite? It's a weird thing to ask for I know. :D

basilyoung
27-10-11, 23:44
no...watching tv...have tested as much as i plan to

ILM16
27-10-11, 23:45
no...watching tv...have tested as much as i plan to

Aha, thanks for the HDMI/Scart combo test. :)

Rob van der Does
28-10-11, 10:53
So you mean the VU+ Duo streams to another E2 box, using the 2nd tuner? Does that work on the same network only?
Not exactly: a stream will be handled by the box as a recording, so you can't say tuner B will be used. It depends on the settings. And if that "recording" doesn't fit in (in the present use of the box, live-TV and recordings going on), you will of course have a black screen.
Watching live-TV is via the interface of the Partnerbox-Plugin (so different from normal TV-watching); watching recordings is identical to doing that via the server-box.
And indeed: this works via your local network

Any chance you could try HDMI, Scart and Composite?
Yep, no problem.
The only restriction in combinations is when using component (as then also Scart will have to be set to Component).

ILM16
28-10-11, 12:45
Not exactly: a stream will be handled by the box as a recording, so you can't say tuner B will be used. It depends on the settings. And if that "recording" doesn't fit in (in the present use of the box, live-TV and recordings going on), you will of course have a black screen.
Watching live-TV is via the interface of the Partnerbox-Plugin (so different from normal TV-watching); watching recordings is identical to doing that via the server-box.
And indeed: this works via your local network

So not exactly how I thought, but it's still possible to watch a live program on my VU, whilst streaming another program to an E2 box? As long as this does not clash with and recordings I've got going on the VU?

Yep, no problem.
The only restriction in combinations is when using component (as then also Scart will have to be set to Component).

They all display the same picture? However it is possible, if no other recordings are taking place, to watch Program A on the VU and Program B on another E2?

Rob van der Does
28-10-11, 17:20
So not exactly how I thought, but it's still possible to watch a live program on my VU, whilst streaming another program to an E2 box? As long as this does not clash with and recordings I've got going on the VU?Yes, you can.

They all display the same picture? However it is possible, if no other recordings are taking place, to watch Program A on the VU and Program B on another E2?
The physical outputs (Scart/HDMI etc) all have the same output. But another box, connected via LAN, can watch whatever you want (as long as it fits within the masterbox's own work).

I very rarely, if ever, watch live-TV. All that might be interesting is being recorded: on watching recordings by other boxes/PC's via LAN there's no limitation (as long as your LAN can handle it).