PDA

View Full Version : [Solved] box sitting on start up

wullboy
23-10-11, 09:23
Had a power cut this morning, and the duo is sitting doing nothing, all i have is..... "starting" on the lcd, how do i boot the box back up... cheers

What i am hearing is the internal disc running ??

Sicilian
23-10-11, 09:39
Have you turned off by the rear switch? Wait 30 seconds, then power back up.

wullboy
23-10-11, 09:52
yea m8, done it for the third time, and this time, i took the usb out of the back of the unit, put it back in after 30 secs, powered back on and i now have the lcd sayig " ading ing " but the box is still sitting there doing nothing else at the moment ??

The internal hdd keeps starting up every time i power the box back up

Larry-G
23-10-11, 09:55
a little off topic i know but blue do you have a surge protector on the same spur as the Duo ?. i used to have a lot of power cuts my self and have fried one or two pc's and more than a few tv's etc down the years as the power came back on and surged. a surge protector with a backup will allow you to safely power down the receiver or any thing else that's running on it and protect against the possibility of a surge killing the box.

as for your current predicament. i would power it down for around half a hour before trying any thing further. just to allow it to settle it self down.

Sicilian
23-10-11, 11:33
Try disconnecting everything Inc internal hdd, just leave hdmi lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wullboy
23-10-11, 11:49

including the usb sic ??

silverfox0786
23-10-11, 11:52
Yeah mate everything

I had a same issue last night on my et9k

And a reflash fixed it

wullboy
23-10-11, 12:00
ok guys, thanks, this will have to wait to later... got to go shopping with the other half...:argue:

wullboy
23-10-11, 12:27

gave this a quick try sic, it just sat there saying "starting" m8.... i then put my usb to the front usb port, and the duo did not rear it at all m8,, so there no change of my back up getting back on then, and thats a bummer...

silverfox0786
23-10-11, 12:28
Try a fresh reflash mate

Stanman
23-10-11, 13:11
Leave it powered off before you go out and than try it when you come back with everything disconnected - might be worth doing the HDD if you can remove the cover easily.

wullboy
23-10-11, 16:56
ok, retried the box again, but it is giving me nothing, i have inserted the usb into the front usb port, but it is still not seeing it, so looks like a re-flash, what would you recommened to re-flash the box with ??

Sicilian
23-10-11, 16:59
Have you disconnected the HDD?

basilyoung
23-10-11, 17:00
To be honest, latest Vix image
once done, update the image

wullboy
23-10-11, 17:20
Have you disconnected the HDD?
yea m8, i disconneted the hdd, usb, rs232,rj45, cable leads, the lot, still saying "starting...." in the lcd, and just sitting there, ??

Sicilian
23-10-11, 17:28
As a recap.

Power off and leave off for 10mins.
Disconnect Satellite dish feed.
Disconnect HDD power lead and SATA lead.
Disconnect Ethernet.
Just leave HDMI connected.

Format USB stick FAT32 and re-flash. Use a USB stick that you've used before. If not recognised try another. Make sure you switch to the correct HDMI channel when powering on.

silverfox0786
23-10-11, 17:34
Blueboy do u have a null modem cable? We could try vu util

And would love to see a null throughput

wullboy
23-10-11, 17:36
As a recap.

Power off and leave off for 10mins.
Disconnect Satellite dish feed.
Disconnect HDD power lead and SATA lead.
Disconnect Ethernet.
Just leave HDMI connected.

Format USB stick FAT32 and re-flash. Use a USB stick that you've used before. If not recognised try another. Make sure you switch to the correct HDMI channel when powering on.

sic m8, it is not seeing the 2 gig LG usb stick that came with the box, so it does work with the duo, i have inserted it into the front usb port, but nothing is happening, and yes m8, i am on the correct hdmi channel......

Sicilian
23-10-11, 17:39
sic m8, it is not seeing the 2 gig LG usb stick that came with the box, so it does work with the duo, i have inserted it into the front usb port, but nothing is happening, and yes m8, i am on the correct hdmi channel......

Try another USB stick. Have you defiantly disconnected the HDD? Both SATA and power lead.

Stanman
23-10-11, 17:46

Which folder / files are you putting onto the USB?

wullboy
23-10-11, 17:46
Try another USB stick. Have you defiantly disconnected the HDD? Both SATA and power lead.

Cannot try another stick m8, as i do not know if it is compatible with the duo,and there is little chance of finding out if it is compatible or not, as the duo does not seem to reconise the one [LG]that we know is compatible..... yes m8 i have disconnected both the sata and power leads

it is doing nothing but saying "starting "

Stanman
23-10-11, 18:10
BB which folder are you putting on the USB stick?

wullboy
23-10-11, 18:17
BB which folder are you putting on the USB stick?

stanman, the USB stick came with the correct folders on it m8, and the only thing,Ive been doing is adding back ups to it, so the files on the stick should get recognized,and it is not.... im beginning to think the box has bricked itself, after the power went off this morning, and when the power came back on, the LCD was showing "starting" im getting absolutely nothing out of this box m8.....

Sicilian
23-10-11, 18:19
Try another USB stick flashing guide here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3-How-to-flash-a-VU-Duo-using-a-USB-stick

wullboy
23-10-11, 18:30
Try another USB stick flashing guide here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3-How-to-flash-a-VU-Duo-using-a-USB-stick

done that sic m8, and to be honsest, the other stick may not be compatible with the duo, and there is no way of telling if it is or is not, but i have tried it m8, and it will not work whatsoever... can these boxes get bricked ?? becuase thats what it is begining to look like, im also trying vu+util but no joy .....

silverfox0786
23-10-11, 18:31
Blueboy let me get msn on meet me there

Stanman
23-10-11, 19:03
stanman, the USB stick came with the correct folders on it m8, and the only thing,Ive been doing is adding back ups to it, so the files on the stick should get recognized,and it is not.... im beginning to think the box has bricked itself, after the power went off this morning, and when the power came back on, the LCD was showing "starting" im getting absolutely nothing out of this box m8.....

Thats your problem, move eveything off the USB bar the vuplus folder

silverfox0786
23-10-11, 20:00
status changed to solved

i teamviewed in could not find a cause as null modem wasnt giving me an output but found that USB was formated to ext3 so i deleted partition reformated to fat32 and flashed box

all sorted now

basilyoung
23-10-11, 20:02
nice one foxy

does he still own the unit?? :D

Sicilian
23-10-11, 20:03
Well done foxy m8ty :) Thank you.

silverfox0786
23-10-11, 20:04
nice one foxy

does he still own the unit?? :D

:roflmao: yeah just about i was contemplating my charge and thought i wont charge him the box :lol3:

Stanman
23-10-11, 20:04
good one Baz pmsl:roflmao::roflmao:

wullboy
23-10-11, 20:30
status changed to solved

i teamviewed in could not find a cause as null modem wasnt giving me an output but found that USB was formated to ext3 so i deleted partition reformated to fat32 and flashed box

all sorted now

What can i say, absolutely superb m8. cannot thank you enough silverfox... 10 out of 10 m8, very much appreciated m8..

Thanks for all the help on here guys, your input is very much appreciared....

silverfox0786
23-10-11, 20:37
What can i say, absolutely superb m8. cannot thank you enough silverfox... 10 out of 10 m8, very much appreciated m8..

Thanks for all the help on here guys, your input is very much appreciared....

yr welcome buddy