PDA

View Full Version : what images can we use?

krazylegz
18-10-11, 15:41
As above what images can we use?

Are we restricted to just ET9000? Can we use VU etc?

silverfox0786
18-10-11, 15:44
each image is designed for its respective receiver you can not cross flash

krazylegz
18-10-11, 15:48
not even in multiboot?

Larry-G
18-10-11, 15:51
Although in the case of VIX the images are all based on the same base image. As silverfox said you can only use the images designated for your receiver, due to each image containing specific drivers and bootloaders for that receiver. If you flash a image for another receiver you can cause serious damage to your receiver.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

egz
23-10-11, 05:00
i am in process of buying an ET9000 and the firmwares offered are ViX team, OpenPli, and Egami. which firmware is recommended by users?
also buying a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 hard disk for it. Is there anything important i should know before installing the hard drive?
thanks.

Larry-G
23-10-11, 05:36
i am in process of buying an ET9000 and the firmwares offered are ViX team, OpenPli, and Egami. which firmware is recommended by users?
also buying a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 hard disk for it. Is there anything important i should know before installing the hard drive?
thanks.

to be perfectly honest being as your on the VIX home forum, most will say VIX and i would agree. however it is not to every ones taste, so try a few for your self and see which one you like best. you can always make a full working backup with the vix image once setup and flash back to that in just a few minutes if needed.

aftermath
23-10-11, 09:59
@ egz , i recently bought the ET9000, it came with ViX image already on it, normally i would find a fault and then try different images, but the ViX one works 99.9% for what i need, the only thing i cant get to work is youtube plugin, but i am not going to reflash it just for that.

i am very satisfied with this image, therefore i will be leaving it on until the next ViX image becomes available.

i have had 5 years of playing around with an IPbox 9000, constantly re flashing it e.t.c and got no further foreward, i now am at the stage of " if it works, leave it alone " now i have extra time to watch tv instead of waiting to see how the box works..

I thank this forum for giving me the choice in which box to choose, and i am sure i chose the right one, and thanks to the sponsors for their business.

Larry-G
23-10-11, 10:06
@ egz , i recently bought the ET9000, it came with ViX image already on it, normally i would find a fault and then try different images, but the ViX one works 99.9% for what i need, the only thing i cant get to work is youtube plugin, but i am not going to reflash it just for that.

i am very satisfied with this image, therefore i will be leaving it on until the next ViX image becomes available.

i have had 5 years of playing around with an IPbox 9000, constantly re flashing it e.t.c and got no further foreward, i now am at the stage of " if it works, leave it alone " now i have extra time to watch tv instead of waiting to see how the box works..

I thank this forum for giving me the choice in which box to choose, and i am sure i chose the right one, and thanks to the sponsors for their business.

I'm the same with my Uno mate. with my old DM7020 i spent more time flashing the box and tweaking this and that, than i ever watched TV on it. now with the Uno bar re flashing to test new beta images it gets left be as it just works.

about the youtube thing try this version, it's what i'm using on the Uno and last time i checked ( 2 weeks ago ) it was still working fine.

aftermath
23-10-11, 11:20
I'm the same with my Uno mate. with my old DM7020 i spent more time flashing the box and tweaking this and that, than i ever watched TV on it. now with the Uno bar re flashing to test new beta images it gets left be as it just works.

about the youtube thing try this version, it's what i'm using on the Uno and last time i checked ( 2 weeks ago ) it was still working fine.

ive tried this a few times, i get a message " this file has an invalid infrastructure " so i am guessing its slightly different format than for ET9000

Larry-G
23-10-11, 11:44
no i would not think so. all plugins that work on the Uno should work on the et9000 / et5000 or any of the other Vu boxes providing there is not a specific hardware requirement. all i can really think is that i'm using VIX 2.3 but again that should not matter as i know several people using the DBUK image with this file just fine.

aftermath
23-10-11, 12:13
no i would not think so. all plugins that work on the Uno should work on the et9000 / et5000 or any of the other Vu boxes providing there is not a specific hardware requirement. all i can really think is that i'm using VIX 2.3 but again that should not matter as i know several people using the DBUK image with this file just fine.

i will wait until the next ViX image is available and will try it again, i am not that fussed as my TV and 3d bluray player both have youtube software

egz
24-10-11, 06:10
i think i'll just stick with the ViX firmware. anything i should know before i install the hard drive? any common problems? would i need cables etc...?

Sicilian
24-10-11, 06:16
When installing a HDD make sure you disconnect the power supply, regards the HDD try to either use a virgin drive or if your using one previously used, connect to a PC and delete all partitions then initialize in the ET9000.

Cucosat
25-10-11, 13:42
ive tried this a few times, i get a message " this file has an invalid infrastructure " so i am guessing its slightly different format than for ET9000
I installed the plugin yesterday through the console and although it gave a few warnings about missing end of line, the plugin is working beautifully on my ET9000.

egz
25-10-11, 22:35
When installing a HDD make sure you disconnect the power supply, regards the HDD try to either use a virgin drive or if your using one previously used, connect to a PC and delete all partitions then initialize in the ET9000.

Im planning on getting a new Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200. will i still need to do anything extra to this drive before installing? if i had to connect this to a laptop, how would i do it?

silverfox0786
25-10-11, 22:38
if its new it comes without partition so all you need to do is plug it in and then just go through menus on box to initialise it and thats it job done

egz
26-10-11, 23:16
ordered my et9000 with ViX and a Seagate Barracuda 7200! by the way the price changed from 319 to 339 at the world of satellite store. :mad: jus last week it was 319!! wish me luck. :thumbsup:

Stanman
26-10-11, 23:23
The £319 was a very good price and of you were in the market should have snapped it up. I paid £400 for mine about 6 months back. At £339 its still a good price and you get very good CS.

Larry-G
26-10-11, 23:29
ordered my et9000 with ViX and a Seagate Barracuda 7200! by the way the price changed from 319 to 339 at the world of satellite store. :mad: jus last week it was 319!! wish me luck. :thumbsup:

To be honest and i'm just guessing here, but the sponsor may have had a offer on at that time which has just lapsed. he regularly has offers for forum members but they cant very well last forever.

Any hoo, i hope you enjoy your new receiver when it arrives and if you need any help setting things up just ask on the forum and some one will help.

egz
28-10-11, 15:47
got my et9000! :D
first time i installed a hard disk. it was so straight forward. everything you need to install a hard drive is in the et9000 box (except the hard disk itself obviously). from the sata cable to the small screws, all included! :D jus one question though, im tuning my box and the two tuners both ask for Port A and Port B which i put down as 28.2E on both ports. is this right? i know my sky dish is 28.2E but should both ports on both tuners be this value? thanks guys.

Stanman
28-10-11, 15:51
If you have two cables coming in from the dish than they should be simple singe tuners and 28.2E, if its only one cable than the one with the cable should be set up as before and the other to same as A or B

egz
28-10-11, 16:08
which plugin do i need to read c lines? i have the ViX team firmware. i cant find any plugin that says CCCam or anything similar?!
Also, is there a channel list that copies the sky digital channel layout? if so, anyone know the name?

Stanman
28-10-11, 16:17
which plugin do i need to read c lines? i have the ViX team firmware. i cant find any plugin that says CCCam or anything similar?!

Read my signature please, topic is not allowed on the forum. Google is your friend, but it really is silly to pay a payserver, they are the scum of the earth.:mad:

egz
28-10-11, 16:20
oops. sorry.
as for payserver...i dont know what else to do?!

Stanman
28-10-11, 16:22
oops. sorry.
as for payserver...i dont know what else to do?!

Can't help you on that for obviouse reason but first step is to get a legit sub and than clue is in what this hobby is called;)

egz
28-10-11, 17:06
ok i got everything working. how do i turn off the narration by default, so i dont have to turn it off everytime i turn my box on!
and anyone know of any channel lists that resemble sky?

Stanman
28-10-11, 17:14
Press Audio and take off NAR. To take it off permanently go into AV / audio and select downmix.

As for channel list,go into the Enigma2 sub forum and upload the silverfox0786 settings.

egz
28-10-11, 17:35
if i turn off AC3 downmix, am i sacrificing sound quality?

egz
28-10-11, 18:06
ok, i was deleting a recorded program and i received an error and a green screen with lots of writing on it appeared. the on screen message said it needs to restart the box, but everything just froze. so i turned the box off at the back and turned it on again, the vix load screen comes on, then a green screen with the vix logo on the top left. it keeps goin back and forth between these two screens! Help anyone? :(

Stanman
28-10-11, 18:21
if i turn off AC3 downmix, am i sacrificing sound quality? I don't thinks so

egz
28-10-11, 18:22
any help with the above post?

digi247
28-10-11, 18:26
ok, i was deleting a recorded program and i received an error and a green screen with lots of writing on it appeared. the on screen message said it needs to restart the box, but everything just froze. so i turned the box off at the back and turned it on again, the vix load screen comes on, then a green screen with the vix logo on the top left. it keeps goin back and forth between these two screens! Help anyone? :(

Sounds like the image has been corrupted your only option is to reflash if you cant get it to boot past the Vix logo screen

Stanman
28-10-11, 18:35

If you can wait, than post up the crash log and some one can have a look, if you want a quick solution than reflash

egz
28-10-11, 18:38
reflashing the firmware. hopefully it does the trick.

egz
28-10-11, 18:43
the error code was very brief, i would have to have my camera ready at that speed. im flashing it now.

Stanman
28-10-11, 18:52
The crash log is in /HDD, you will need a FTP client to connect to the box and pull it on to your PC desktop to upload to the site.

Larry-G
28-10-11, 18:53
the error code was very brief, i would have to have my camera ready at that speed. im flashing it now.

a crash log would have been created in /media/hdd. you can access this file via any FTP program and upload it here, you can also send any crash logs directly to us via the log manager option in the vix image under the blue button ( obviously as your box wont boot this is not a option )

egz
28-10-11, 18:57
flashing worked. all systems are go. again. im gonna check for firmware updates via the box. not sure if theres anything else i can do. i'll try catch the error codes next time.

will the error log still be there since i have already flashed it?

Stanman
28-10-11, 19:01
Yes, flashing does nothing to the HDD, it keeps everything on it recordings etc.

egz
28-10-11, 20:00
i cant find any error logs. i used filezilla to access the hdd folder, then media, and checked every folder inside it. there were no error files.

how much disk space should i reserve for recording out of the 1tb?

Larry-G
28-10-11, 20:02
i cant find any error logs. i used filezilla to access the hdd folder, then media, and checked every folder inside it. there were no error files.

try by the image it self, blue button / vix / log manager/ remember to press menu while in there and fill out your details so we can keep track of the error logs we receive.

machare
28-10-11, 20:19
I would think that you need to reflash the box.

I have found that it pays to keep a recent backup image:)

egz
28-10-11, 20:54
Press Audio and take off NAR. To take it off permanently go into AV / audio and select downmix.

As for channel list,go into the Enigma2 sub forum and upload the silverfox0786 settings.

ive got the silverfox settings and the Licher Picons on my laptop, how do i load it into the box via ftp or usb.
i downloaded the silverfox channel setting through the box, but i cant find it to install it! any ideas?

machare
28-10-11, 21:20
I use DreamBoxEdit to ftp settings to the STB and create Bouquets.

As the STB and my PCs are connected to my home network I just use Windows explorer to move picons and other files (or Ubuntu equivalent)