PDA

View Full Version : How To Stream TV To iPhone & iPad & PC & Others...

punisher
13-10-11, 21:31
As the title says, in this tutorial ill show you how to stream TV from your box to your mobile device in your home network and outside your home network. At home this should stream pretty well without any issues but away from home you will need a high upload speed and setup a dyndns account so you can access the box remotely.

Now as i only have an iPhone and iPad as well as a Laptop, I can't show you how to do it on Android but im pretty sure following the same steps should work the same too.

The app i use is Dreambox Live which is available via the app store, i purchased it on iPhone and managed to get it free on iPad :D

iPhone & iPad Dreambox Live App

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dreambox-live/id416450962?mt=8

First thing first you need to know/setup your HTTP Port which you can find in the OpenWebIf Plugin

Menu/Plugins/OpenWebIf

Make sure "OpenWebInterface is set to "Yes"

Now you can see my HTTP Port is 01985. Default value is 00080 but i changed mine and you can too if you want

You then need to go into your routers Default Gateway Page and in my case the Virtual Servers Option on the left hand side menu, because you will need to forward the ports that will enable you to stream externally from your network. For this you need your box's IP Address and the Ports that need forwarding.

The IP Address of my box is 192.168.2.x
The Ports I am going to forward are;
HTTP Port: 1985
Streaming Port: 8001 (Default)

Assign these like the screenie below

The other ports i have forwarded (21 and 23) are FTP Port and Telnet port so i can get into the box remotely too

Once you have assigned the ports to your box's IP address and router is back on and working you then need to setup a dynds account if you want to stream outside of your home network.
To do this follow my tutorial on Setting up Inadyn & Dyndns Account

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?9755-How-to-Setup-Inadyn-ViX

Now you can either use your box's IP address if you just want to use it at home which in my case if 192.168.2.x or my Dyndns account which is xxxxxxx.dyndns.org (from my tutorial above)

Download and Install the Dreambox Live App onto your iPad or iPhone

Open it and it should take you to the Basic Setup Wizard like below

Now Fill in the page with your details that you have from above. Mine is below

I have set this up so i can stream outside my house so i have used my dyndns account, otherwise type in the IP address to your box 192.168.2.x
Leave all the other settings the same only putting in your http port and username and password.

Once you have saved and connected click on the TV Icon in top left to bring up your Bouquet List

Then pick your category

Then pick the channel you want to view, im going to view BBC 1

And thats it, you have successfully setup streaming.
Remember to stream outside your house this way you need a fairly high upload speed, mine is roughly 5-6mb and mine streams really good with the odd glitch but i aint got no complaints.

Any questions please dont hesitate to ask. If you like it please click Thanks :D

:thumbsup:

UPDATE: ADDED NEW OPENWEBIF INSTEAD OF THE OLD WEBINTERFACE

punisher
18-10-11, 16:05
This works quite well on 3g and really well if u connected to wifi, i was streamin this in brother in laws house in stevenage and it worked perfect, i didnt even get a glitch for about 30mins then the odd glitch then streams perfect. Able to watch my motorised at home on my ipad and iphone anywhere.

The only thing ive noticed is this streaming external to your home network, for em the Xtrend ET9000 works better than the Vu+ Duo i had, i dont know whether its hardware or better streaming software but thats wha ive noticed

punisher
31-10-11, 23:17
upgraded my broadband to 100mb which gave me a 10mb upload, the SD streaming is now flawless on someones 10mb wifi, havent had a chance to try on 3g yet but will get round to it. the HD is still a bit blotchy in places, not sure why but oh well, on an iphone and ipad everything looks HD anyway :p

punisher
01-11-11, 16:38
just got round to trying the stream on my iphone 4 via 3g and with a minimum of 3 bars on signal, i was able to watch sky sports news for about 2 minutes with probably 4-5 glitches for a second but nothing that will stop you from streaming it as its brilliant, i think the reason it glitches could be due to the fact my signal was dropping 3 to 2 bars and back up. i guess with a full signal this would stream pretty perfect. will try again when i get full bars on 3g and get back :p

tagteam3283
13-11-11, 21:16
anyone got this working on an android phone?

punisher
13-11-11, 21:29
Post a screeny of the settings it asks for on an android app and ill see if i can help u out, although dont have an android, settings should be similar

Stanman
13-11-11, 21:43
dreamdoid from the market with vplayer (i think its paid 4 app) work fine on wifi.

boxer29
12-12-11, 13:03
im using dreamdroid and android dreamer for my galaxy s2 to stream my vu+duo in my home network
can i set this up to view my duo remotely ,i mena outside the home
thanks

punisher
12-12-11, 14:46
Yeh u need to setup a dyndns account and use inadyn to get it working. Follow the tutorial or click on link i my signature to setup inadyn

Digger99
11-01-12, 12:53
By anychance can I get this feature working on a TM-5402?

silverfox0786
11-01-12, 13:09
By anychance can I get this feature working on a TM-5402?

no this is linux e2 only

i think there is a miniweb on the th5402 that you can use but not sure

nas_matko
04-02-12, 08:59
Just a note for VU+ owners, there is a specific apllication on appstore for ipad/iphone/ipod called vu+ player that does streaming.

punisher
04-02-12, 11:23
Yeh its exactly the same as the dreambox live app apartfrom the skin really lol there are other apps like istreamgate too which is a brilliant app as it plays in HD too

punisher
04-03-12, 12:45
hd streaming with the new open webif is perfect now on internal network, watching BBC One HD on my macbook air for 45 minutes and 1 lil glitch :D havent tried external yet

boxer29
04-03-12, 23:15
hd streaming with the new open webif is perfect now on internal network, watching BBC One HD on my macbook air for 45 minutes and 1 lil glitch :D havent tried external yet

which open webif version are you using which allows hd streaming on internal network
im running latest vix image

punisher
04-03-12, 23:49
The one thats in the feeds which you should by default.

75mak
13-03-12, 18:55
I found an alternative which might work on ipad/iphone without the need to purchase an app like dreambox live, vu+ player or istreamgate HD.

I releasied you can use a combination of two Apps - or the lite versions at least.

By using dreamote lite - you get full access as a remote - but when you also install an app like goodplayer, oplayer or similar you get an option in the zap box to either zap to the box or send that stream to one of those media player apps. The only thing im not sure off is whether it does that on the lite (free) versions of those media apps. Like goodplayer lite.

If it does, that is an alternative to using dreambox live, and if your apps are from 'another source' this is good alternative.

Personally, i think istreamgate hd is the best value for money app from the dreambox streamer apps. The rest including dreambox live are very pricey. At £1.99 its worth it, the interface maybe not as good as dreambox live but is still very good and can do Hd although that is very poor at the moment.

punisher
13-03-12, 19:46
Yeh i use a combo of that and Oplayer which work really well but i still prefer istreamgate hd :p

DixieRay
14-03-12, 10:18
Any questions please dont hesitate to ask
is this possible to stream to justins or ustreme

75mak
29-03-12, 23:05
Yeh i use a combo of that and Oplayer which work really well but i still prefer istreamgate hd :p

Can you get the HD channels to stream without stuttering on your wifi network?

Stanman
30-03-12, 12:02
HD are an issue but TBH on a small screen SD is like HD in most cases anyway.

bazcaz
31-03-12, 09:35
Fantastic on iphone.

punisher
31-03-12, 12:29
Hd streaming via open webif and vlc works perfect to my macbook air n dell laptop

punisher
31-03-12, 12:42
update: Added new openwebif instead of the old webinterface in the tutorial

taximonkey
28-05-12, 18:58
Hi, I've been using Dreambox Live with my ET9200 the last 2 weeks and everything was good until I flashed the latest VIX image 2.4 onto the box. Now I am unable to get the picture to stream from the box to iPad and iPhone although it will swipe and change channel on the iPad and I get a list of bouquets with the channel lists and can select one and it will try to change channel but then I always get Connection failed, perhaps all tuners are occupied. I am using the same ports as before and have Open webif setup as :
Open webinterface enables-yes, Http port-00080, Enable http auth-no, XBMC-yes. Also I have port forwarded ports 21,23,80 and 8001 on the router. The tuners arent occupied and have tried disconnecting everything else but no luck. Everything was ok before, am I missing something?? Any ideas anyone?
Thanks.

ms1699
24-08-12, 12:11
hi m8 i use Dreambox Live on my i phone4s in host or (1) ip i put my dreambox ip(2) labl my dreambox (3)zap mirror quality low (4)web-interface port 80 (5)streaming port 8001 (6) username root and password is password (7)cache 2500 (8) force audio off after i don it say connection failed please check your wifi connection and entered data ? please anyone help me?

zevrep
11-12-12, 19:58
hi can anyone help... i have an xtrend et9200 that i use and have set up a dyndns account to view streams at work. the problem is it glitches im on 40mb download 10mb upload at home and similar speed at work. could it be my laptop? its an acer which is about 3 years old..if so is it the processor? or could it be my vlc settings...am i better off upgrading to the 78mb superfast broadband? am stuck guys would appreciate some help!

boxer29
10-02-13, 21:04
im trying to use vu+ player on my iphone 5 ios 6.1
want to stream from my vu+duo running vix in the house
have set up the setting
ip
port 80
user name
and password also entered
cache 2500
it says connection failed on my phone
i can open the bouquet
i can connect to webif on my mobile by typing the ip in the safari web browser on the phone
what am i doing wrong

willc100
25-03-13, 14:18
could this process work from a skybox f3 to iphone using dreambox live app over a home wireless network?

Hotchef
24-05-13, 07:56
i have a netgear N150 wireless router, model DGN1000

i looked for virtual firewall server but i dont have one. the only firewall rules option i have is in the screen shot below

what do i need to edit?

thanks

Hotchef
24-05-13, 08:07
i have a netgear N150 wireless router, model DGN1000

i looked for virtual firewall server but i dont have one. the only firewall rules option i have is in the screen shot below

what do i need to edit?

thanks

is it add service?

if so what would the settings be

i am on vix latest image

openwebif on 8001
transcoding on 8002

thanks

karl_everest
24-05-13, 14:21
you need to add a service first then select it as a firewall rule. if you are looking to port foward then use this.
hxxp://support.herefilefile.com/entries/171529-How-to-Forward-Ports-on-a-NetGear-WNR1000-v2

karl_everest
24-05-13, 14:36
Okay i am stuck and need some help please. i Have
OpenViX3.0.664 kernel 3.3.8 installed on a Vu+ Solo2. I have setup a noip account. enabled OpenWebInterface set the http port to 1980 and the streaming port to 8002, i have installed inadyn and configured it and enabled the transcoding plugin to port 8002 (same as streaming port) everything works fine on my LAN. but when i attempt to stream via WAN it fails in the media player, i can access my epg fine but when i click on the tv to stream it fails, i have tried both media player and vlc player and neither has worked. Also i can download and play recorded programs fine

Hotchef
24-05-13, 17:09
you need to add a service first then select it as a firewall rule. if you are looking to port foward then use this.
hxxp://support.herefilefile.com/entries/171529-How-to-Forward-Ports-on-a-NetGear-WNR1000-v2

it says select a lower and a higher port number

so is the port 80 or 8001?

thanks

Jigsy99
31-05-13, 21:37
Okay i am stuck and need some help please. i Have
OpenViX3.0.664 kernel 3.3.8 installed on a Vu+ Solo2. I have setup a noip account. enabled OpenWebInterface set the http port to 1980 and the streaming port to 8002, i have installed inadyn and configured it and enabled the transcoding plugin to port 8002 (same as streaming port) everything works fine on my LAN. but when i attempt to stream via WAN it fails in the media player, i can access my epg fine but when i click on the tv to stream it fails, i have tried both media player and vlc player and neither has worked. Also i can download and play recorded programs fine

My problem is exactly the same as yours, everything works as it should on my LAN but for some unknown reason every time I switch to 3G I get an error on both VLC, Daroon and MX Player. Everything else on 3G works as it should - Channel Listings, Box Commands, Sending Messages and watching recorded programs all work perfectly. I even set up and Dyndns account just to see if No-Ip was the cause but no. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to try them as I have run out of ideas now.

Regards

Jigsy

Jigsy99
03-06-13, 16:00
Seems like everything is working now, no idea what I did but I get all channels playing at work no problem. My only two other problems are the sound will not come on when viewing channels and if I forget the stop the program in Dreamdroid I can't connect to the box again for at least 10 minutes and I have no idea why that is.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Grinnders
09-10-13, 19:38
Hi guys,
I can stream to my (XP) PC pretty solidly using VLC from OpenWebIf, but I have an airplay dongle that ideally I would like to onwards push the stream to. For other things, iTunes enables me to push video reliably to my old 2005 plasma with the dongle in it. I am guessing there are other people on here that are streaming to ipads etc.

So I wondered if any readers of this thread have encountered and conquered this issue. I have 3 questions I wonder if anyone could answer.
1. Does anyone know if there are streaming apps compatible with Solo2 Vix 3. image to iOS that support the airplay push function?
2. Or as my dongle has an IP address, is there an option to 'send' from my Vu+ solo2 Vix 3.0 directly to the rendering dongle?
3. Is there a technique to stream from OpenWebIf to iTunes.... I try Open with iTunes.. function and I just get an audio track with great buffering and then like a tape recorded on fastforward play (remember those?)

I've just tested Vu+ player, great but no push. e2 Remote pro seems to support internal or GoodPlayer. dreaMote Lite I cannot 'see' an option to stream or in paid for dreaMote unless it is Custom Stream URL. I download more streaming apps but they don't appear available to selectin e2 remote. any suggestions?

Cheers

FireballXL5
22-12-13, 17:50
Using Dreambox Live, now called Blackbox Live and £2.49 for iPad, does it stream the satellite radio channels? I use the Vu+ iPad app which is just fine for video but I can't get any of the radio channels, which are what I want most when I'm working in my shed.

seame
22-12-13, 18:11
Not sure about radio stations as I've never tried to stream them but an alternative is the free tunein app. Has has thousands of stations from all over the globe.

Martincape
02-02-14, 15:48
Hi, does anyone know how to port forward on the BT Home Hub? I've got to the relevant settings page but it says I have to choose a program to port forward. It doesn't seem like I can just create a port.

Grinnders
02-02-14, 20:42
I found this through googling, but you don't say what version you are using
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43715

Martincape
06-02-14, 00:11
Hi, I've got it set up for using Blackbox on the iPhone. What software can I use for the laptop?

Grinnders
06-02-14, 19:05
I just tend to use a browser at home. Vu+ on an android tablet and e2Remote pro on iphone.

fvered
22-02-14, 00:22
A couple of questions about this streaming.

1) If im at work and family are at home watching tv, can I stream a different channel?
2) basically same question but my kids both have an ipad, can they stream different channels at same time?

judge
22-02-14, 00:26
A couple of questions about this streaming.

1) If im at work and family are at home watching tv, can I stream a different channel?
2) basically same question but my kids both have an ipad, can they stream different channels at same time?
all depends on the amount of tuners & what they are currently being used for.

fvered
22-02-14, 00:32
all depends on the amount of tuners & what they are currently being used for.

I will be purchasing the vu+ duo on Monday. so will have 2 tuners,

presuming just one channel is being watched via the box on tv and nothing is being recorded.

This is possible?

judge
22-02-14, 00:35
Yes, in that basic case, one tuner would be used for viewing on TV & if what's streaming isn't still available on that tuner, the second tuner will be used.
The more tuners, the better...

Grinnders
22-02-14, 13:08
just FYI, I have a VU+ Solo 2 that has two tuners also so can confirm this works. I am still struggling to get VU+ streamer to work externally using just a dyndns.org address. if I resolve the IP manually it works but clearly the process should mean that is unnecessary. the developer say its not relevant but it will not save without any IP address, and if it has an out of date one it fails..... .
Yes, in that basic case, one tuner would be used for viewing on TV & if what's streaming isn't still available on that tuner, the second tuner will be used.
The more tuners, the better...