PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions from a newbie!!

stucha
10-10-11, 08:29
Good Morning all,

I've been a long time lurker here and have finally got round to my first post so please be gentle if the questions are a little dumb!

I have a VU+ Duo running the latest VIX image. Everything is running perfectly however I tinkered with a few things which led to issues and I wondered if the WOS team can shed any light.

Q1 - I've received a free BT Vision box and thought I might set this up in the spare room. The install was easy however when it finally got going, the picture on the VU froze for around 10mins then was very jumpy. I then ditched the BT Vision box and all is back to normal. Is it possible to run a BT Vision box in conjunction with a VU? - I personally would have thought this possible but perhaps I am missing something!

Q2 - After upgrading to VU, I still have a multiroom box and contract. It is OK to utilise this in another room? - we recently had some major work done to the house meaning the box wasn't connected for around 9 months. Upon reconnection, I received a message saying the card wasn't correctly paired to the box (or something similar) I was going to call and mention this was because of the work but wanted to check if this would be OK.

Many thanks for any help!
Stuart

Stanman
10-10-11, 17:56
Good Morning all,

I've been a long time lurker here and have finally got round to my first post so please be gentle if the questions are a little dumb!

I have a VU+ Duo running the latest VIX image. Everything is running perfectly however I tinkered with a few things which led to issues and I wondered if the WOS team can shed any light.

Q1 - I've received a free BT Vision box and thought I might set this up in the spare room. The install was easy however when it finally got going, the picture on the VU froze for around 10mins then was very jumpy. I then ditched the BT Vision box and all is back to normal. Is it possible to run a BT Vision box in conjunction with a VU? - I personally would have thought this possible but perhaps I am missing something! Never heard of that happening, the BT V box was connected via Ethernet? Have been something different if the picture froze.

Q2 - After upgrading to VU, I still have a multiroom box and contract. It is OK to utilise this in another room? - we recently had some major work done to the house meaning the box wasn't connected for around 9 months. Upon reconnection, I received a message saying the card wasn't correctly paired to the box (or something similar) I was going to call and mention this was because of the work but wanted to check if this would be OK. You can move your MR to whatever room you want in your registered house, have heard they block it if not connected to a phone line. You sure its the right card for that box as should not have got a pair message. If you ring them they will re pair it and re entitle it.

Many thanks for any help!
Stuart

highlite is my reply

stucha
10-10-11, 20:44
Hi Stanman,

Many thanks for the reply.

I'll get onto the MR issue tomorrow and report back any findings.

Regarding the BT V box, you are correct, connected via ethernet to my hub. It is an odd and very annoying issue!

I did some further research and it seems the major problems start happening when you record something on the BT V box, this totally freezes the VU and makes it unresponsive.

Can you think of any reason for this?

Many thanks
Stuart

Stanman
10-10-11, 20:57
Haven't got the foggiest mate, is it still the case with BTV you have to have their BB?

Is the VU connected to your network? if so pull the Ethernet cable out and than try and see if it freezes, it shouldn't do.

If it doesn't perhaps change the network cables / ports on the router / check IP addresses of the two boxes, move than to further apart - IP addresses that is.

stucha
11-10-11, 07:06
Hi,

Thanks for the update.

I have both the BTV and Vu wired on the network (into a switch)

I shall try the suggestions above and report back.

Thanks again
Stuart

TallPaul
11-10-11, 14:59
Does the BT box have its DHCP server enabled? Might be issuing duplicate IP addresses.

stucha
11-10-11, 15:36
Hi,

I think we are finally getting somewhere here, it does indeed seem to be some kind if IP address conflict.

Sorry to be a pain, but what is the best way of checking if the BTV has DHCP enabled?

Thanks
Stuart

Stanman
11-10-11, 19:36
As as I know the vision box does not have DHCP server, I think he means the homehub, but you must have it enabled for new devices to get an IP - did you manually assign the ip to the duo?

try setting static for both of them.

stucha
12-10-11, 09:14
Hi,

Many thanks for the suggestion.

I'll try that and report back.

Thanks

stucha
16-10-11, 19:41
Hi all,

I've been trying some further testing regarding this but still to no avail!!

I think the problem now lies with homeplugs.

I tried the static IP address idea which was successful for around 10mins or so but then the same 'freezing' issues occurred.

I have my set-up hidden underneath the stairs and as such use a homeplug technique from my router in the office to the switch under the stairs.

I think I'm running into compatibility issues with the homeplugs and the ones supplied with the vision box.

I need to do some further testing but wanted to report an update!

Thanks
Stuart

Stanman
16-10-11, 19:48
Used the BT home plugs with the DUO, the black and old white work fine.
At the moment using value ones from Ebuyer to connect DUO, ET5K and PC to router and never had problems.

What card is in the DUO and cam u using?

NoOne
18-10-11, 17:10
hi, stucha's pal here....

theres no card in the duo its running a cline with cccam 2.1.3

I think the problem with stucha's setup is there is a homehub, 2 sets of homeplugs, and a 24 port switch....along with a networked tv and blue ray player. not to mention the xbox360 and other things not unlike the old apollo mission control center.

i wonder if a network diagram of the setup might show where the problem is....can you mix homeplug's for example. there must be a conflict somewhere.

Larry-G
18-10-11, 17:16
hi, stucha's pal here....

theres no card in the duo its running a cline with cccam 2.1.3

I think the problem with stucha's setup is there is a homehub, 2 sets of homeplugs, and a 24 port switch....along with a networked tv and blue ray player. not to mention the xbox360 and other things not unlike the old apollo mission control center.

i wonder if a network diagram of the setup might show where the problem is....can you mix homeplug's for example. there must be a conflict somewhere.

ok mate i'd go carefully with the direction of this thread as it is clear it's almost breaching the site rules.

please read the forum rules here so that you know where not to step.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?2-Please-read-the-rules-here

thanks pheonix.

p.s i use a 24 port network switch i have 4 receivers hooked up to it at all times along with a sky HD box and 3 xbox 360's plus a wee and a shed load of laptops. and i have no problems, i would suggest your friend contacts his supplier ( for the thing that can not be discussed ).

stucha
28-10-11, 08:58
Hi all,

Very quick update to say this was indeed a conflict of homeplugs.

After ditching the useless BT ones and purchasing more of the same make I was already using, seems to have fixed everything.

Thanks again to everyone for their input!!