PDA

View Full Version : Mediaset to appeal ECJ football ruling

Larry-G
05-10-11, 16:39
Italian broadcaster Mediaset has announced that it will appeal against the decision of the EU Court of Justice, which said European countries mustn’t ban decoders for services available anywhere in Europe.

Speaking on the sidelines of a conference on the protection of intellectual rights, Mediaset president, Fedele Confalonieri, said they are still examining the ruling, but that it puts a question mark over exclusive TV rights. He added there will be numerous appeals, not only on part of Mediaset, but by the entire sector.

Mediaset operates a pay digital terrestrial TV service (Mediaset Premium) that offers viewers live Serie A with a pre-paid card and without subscription. It recently paid €800 million for the DTT rights for 12 Serie A clubs, over the next three seasons.

http://www.advanced-television.com/index.php/2011/10/05/mediaset-to-appeal-ecj-football-ruling/

jcm193
05-10-11, 19:21
One of many i bet but as far as i can tell they will have chance unless they change the rules again to suit companies like this

Italian broadcaster Mediaset has announced that it will appeal against the decision of the EU Court of Justice, which said European countries mustn’t ban decoders for services available anywhere in Europe.

Speaking on the sidelines of a conference on the protection of intellectual rights, Mediaset president, Fedele Confalonieri, said they are still examining the ruling, but that it puts a question mark over exclusive TV rights. He added there will be numerous appeals, not only on part of Mediaset, but by the entire sector.

Mediaset operates a pay digital terrestrial TV service (Mediaset Premium) that offers viewers live Serie A with a pre-paid card and without subscription. It recently paid €800 million for the DTT rights for 12 Serie A clubs, over the next three seasons.

http://www.advanced-television.com/index.php/2011/10/05/mediaset-to-appeal-ecj-football-ruling/

Larry-G
05-10-11, 19:25
Surely if they operate over DTT how is this going to affect them in any big way, i would of thought that there is no real way of receiving there signals unless your based in Italy or am i wrong

it's not about receiving their signals this is about them paying 800 million euros for exclusive coverage then some European ruling allowing foreign satellite providers to come in and vastly undercut them. as i said in the thread yesterday this is about nothing more than money and i personally think this case will continue on for another few years yet.

jcm193
05-10-11, 19:29
It appears they run of 13 e as well and what makes me laugh is the EEC was put together to promote free trade between countries so why should tv be any different just the tip of the iceberg one thinks