PDA

View Full Version : EPL may cut distribution in single rights market

bassethound
03-10-11, 20:19
The English Premier League may restrict the number of European countries that can screen its live matches if Europe’s most senior judges rule that it must sell its broadcast rights on a single market basis.

The European Court of Justice next week hands down its judgment in the so-called “’pub landlady case’ a ruling that will be watched closely by all sports and event rights holders.

In February the ECJ’s advisory advocates-general, backed the landlady who had been using a subscription to a Greek service to show EPL football in a Portsmouth pub.

The advocate general said by selling its rights on a country-by-country basis the league was undermining the European Union’s internal market. The ECJ adheres to the opinions of advocates-general in four out of five cases.

According to some analysts, a negative ECJ ruling for the Premier League which forces it to sell its European rights on a pan-European basis could cost BSkyB up to £70m (€80.7m) a year in revenues from pubs and clubs as it would push down prices in the UK.

One scenario, according to people with knowledge of the situation, is for the Premier League to forgo the distribution of its live matches in some European countries where interest in the Premier League is not as strong as in other countries and where decoder cards are relatively cheap.

Depending on the ECJ ruling, Premier League insiders believe it could still sub-license its European rights, but price levels would have to be comparable with those in the UK market in order to avoid pubs and clubs shopping around Europe for the cheapest decoder

Larry-G
03-10-11, 20:22
just another ploy for sky and the footy clubs to rob their customers blind.

basilyoung
03-10-11, 20:25
I used to drink in the red white and blue, and hope the landlady wins hands down, regardless of what future prices are, this is a very small pub, and the prices she would of had to pay, would exceed the benifits to her bussiness
and good on her, what a result,

Larry-G
03-10-11, 20:26
i totally agree with you baz. sky rip pubs off severely with their prices and the complete monopoly they hold over the EPL game coverage in this country.

jcm193
03-10-11, 20:29
I for one dont mind paying the going rate to watch 3pm games it would just be nice to have the choice,in Germany all of the top leagues games are show live why not here

basilyoung
03-10-11, 20:30
100% agreed

also, its my dearest hope, that she get comensation, and her cost recover,d
sky tv has been the cause of much damage to the average surporter, and brought about what is effectivly super clubs, not that i have any dislike for watching footy

Larry-G
03-10-11, 20:33
yeah it's pretty much down to the EPL's ridiculous prices that ITV digital went bust well that and the fact that more people were watching their channels with dodgy gold wafer cards than actually subbing to the channels.

jcm193
03-10-11, 20:35
One thing i dont understand is why sky are not pushing for this can you imagine how much money they would make if they offered 3 pm games,the epl are saying that attendances will be affect but i find that hard to believe as most fans that are able to go to games would prefer the live experience over watching it on tv.Since the bundesliga has been shown live on a sat the attendances have actually gone up i believe

Stanman
03-10-11, 20:36
The reason we don't have 3PM matches in this country is to "protect" attendance at the non premiership games.

I think sub will go up, only one broadcaster will be able to bid for them.

jcm193
03-10-11, 20:42
Why would you want to watch a premiership game on tv if you followed a non premier league team, i could understand it if they where playing at a different time but if the games clashed any real fan would always pick there first team and to be honest if you decided to watch a team on tv rather than say your local team are you likely to go to a game anyway

The reason we don't have 3PM matches in this country is to "protect" attendance at the non premiership games.

Larry-G
03-10-11, 20:43

yes we will end up with even more of a monopoly than we have now. well not that it matters to me. i personally cant stand the sport. a bunch of fairys prancing around a pitch diving every time some one gets within 6 foot of them.

nahh give me a good game of rugger or ice hockey and i'm more than happy.

basilyoung
03-10-11, 20:49
yes we will end up with even more of a monopoly than we have now. well not that it matters to me. i personally cant stand the sport. a bunch of fairys prancing around a pitch diving every time some one gets within 6 foot of them.

that was my point, over paid theactrical artist, instead of proper footy, no loyalty to the club, or come to that there national team, its all about money/sponcers, and ego

jcm193
03-10-11, 20:51
Only a monopoly if only one company got the rights ideally at least two broadcaster would be able to show the games i can not see it being any more expensive than getting a viasat sub off flebay

Larry-G
03-10-11, 20:53
that was my point, over paid theactrical artist, instead of proper footy, no loyalty to the club, or come to that there national team, its all about money/sponcers, and ego

yep agreed. i'll never pay to watch a EPL match. saying that i do support my local team Hartlepool and don't mind coughing up for the odd game with them, as it's a different brand of football all together than the EPL and for more worth the money. got about 10 family members who hold season tickets for the pools too.

jcm193
03-10-11, 20:55
It would be great for me as i live so far away from my team and i would love to be able to watch them every week

Larry-G
03-10-11, 20:57
Only a monopoly if only one company got the rights ideally at least two broadcaster would be able to show the games i can not see it being any more expensive than getting a viasat sub off flebay

it's not going to happen in this country sky will out price any one else in the running

jcm193
03-10-11, 20:59
Wishful thinking perhaps i dont think they would be able to have all the games as there not allowed to have them all now

Larry-G
03-10-11, 21:00
Wishful thinking perhaps i dont think they would be able to have all the games as there not allowed to have them all now
and there lies another problem. having to take multiple subs to multiple vendors to catch the games.

jcm193
03-10-11, 21:03
Perhaps they should allow to the teams sell there own rights and just have a card for your own team on a dedicated channel, i can live in hope lol

fulabeer
04-10-11, 08:51
Looks like she has won!

Now let's see what dirty tactics SKY employ now....

Mr. Mister
04-10-11, 11:36
Its not over yet..

The case has now been refered to the high court for there interpretuion of what the out-come is..

She aint won anything yet.. But its a step in the right direction i agree..

jcm.. I agree totally.. If the teams we support all had their own channels.. then i would defo subscribe to a Tottenham channel..

And of course.. Cause i live in NI.. Its not easy at all for anyone from NI to travel to London to watch any game.. Never mind the cost of the whole trip..

Stanman
04-10-11, 19:15
Shes won, the case has been sent back to the UK HC as it was referred by them to th Euro court, its extremly unlikely the UK HC will differ in any respect from the Euro judgement.

Galaxien
04-10-11, 20:03
Premier League have responded

Premier League statement
The Premier League has issued a statement on the European Court of Justice Judgment.

The statement reads: "This is clearly a complex issue, one that the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has spent a significant amount of time considering.

"The ECJ judgment responds to 18 specific questions referred by the UK High Court. They have now answered these questions in terms of how European Law applies. It is now for the High Court to consider how the ECJ judgment affects the cases in question.

"On the broader points that could flow from the ECJ judgment; the areas of law involved are complicated and necessarily we will take our time to digest and understand the full meaning of the judgment and how it might influence the future sale of Premier League audio-visual rights in the European Economic Area.

"We are pleased that the judgment makes it clear that the screening in a pub of football-match broadcasts containing protected works requires the Premier League's authorisation. Currently only Sky and ESPN are authorised by the Premier League to make such broadcasts.

"The Premier League will continue to sell its audio-visual rights in a way that best meets the needs of our fans across Europe and the broadcast markets that serve them but is also compatible with European Law."

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2472418,00.html

Larry-G
04-10-11, 20:30
"We are pleased that the judgment makes it clear that the screening in a pub of football-match broadcasts containing protected works requires the Premier League's authorisation. Currently only Sky and ESPN are authorised by the Premier League to make such broadcasts.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2472418,00.html

that pretty much says it all.

jcm193
04-10-11, 20:33
Looks like the pubs have shot themselves in the foot

Larry-G
04-10-11, 20:35
yup. so basically you can buy your system from where ever you like you can sub to where ever you like but you still need the EPL's authorization to show football matches in a pub environment.

jcm193
04-10-11, 20:38
how long will she be smiling when she realizes that

Larry-G
04-10-11, 20:41
how long will she be smiling when she realizes that

not long at all i'd imagine. personally i think the press have grabbed onto this ruling today and plastered it allover the tv and net without bothering to read the thing properly. yes she won her case today but there is still a lot of legal arguments to be made and i fear the outcome will be far worse for the end users than it ever was before this ruling was made. after all the EPL and SKY /EPSN are out to make money and you dont do that by giving the matches away for free.

basilyoung
04-10-11, 20:52
but where does this leave the private user? by the sounds of it, we can legally buy any card we want, although thereis the other issue, the film industry allows france for example to broadcast within its borders, I think it will be years, before this really becomes clear

Larry-G
04-10-11, 20:57
but where does this leave the private user? by the sounds of it, we can legally buy any card we want, although thereis the other issue, the film industry allows france for example to broadcast within its borders, I think it will be years, before this really becomes clear

for your own home use you can buy what ever sub you want but for public broadcasting this falls into the above mentioned area. the other thing to consider is will this now make it legal to for some one in the uk to subscribe directly to for example sky Italia or sky Germany rather than having to buy a prepaid card from a broker ?.

jcm193
04-10-11, 20:57
You beat me to it pheonix i was going to ask about going direct,

Larry-G
04-10-11, 21:01
So you think we will be able to go direct to foreign providers or will we still have to use overpriced middle men still

thats the thing i'm not really sure about at the moment. as this could potentially also affect sky uk where there broadcasts are only for the uk. would this mean for example some one in France could legally sub to sky uk ?.

to be honest i haven't read that far into the ruling

basilyoung
04-10-11, 21:01
thats what I would want, but think the UK gov, will come up with something to stop it, ie; we are all members of the eurpean union, "FREE TRADE"
but if you exceed the "guidelines" on how much tobacco you buy, its gets confiscated, along with your car/van

jcm193
04-10-11, 21:03
Sky already know there services are being sold abroad they just dont care as long as the money is coming in,not that they will ever admit to it

thats the thing i'm not really sure about at the moment. as this could potentially also affect sky uk where there broadcasts are only for the uk. would this mean for example some one in France could legally sub to sky uk ?.

to be honest i haven't read that far into the ruling

Larry-G
04-10-11, 21:04
thats what I would want, but think the UK gov, will come up with something to stop it, ie; we are all members of the eurpean union, "FREE TRADE"
but if you exceed the "guidelines" on how much tobacco you buy, its gets confiscated, along with your car/van

agreed. tell you what though if this did happen it would kill off the card brokering market overnight but knowing the EU and UK governments there will be enough red tape around this to wrap round the moon and back. and even if it did go all in our favour and allow us to sub legally to any EU based provider it would take years for them to implement it.

Larry-G
04-10-11, 21:07
Sky already know there service are being sold abroad they just dont care as long as the money is coming in,not that they will ever admit to it

yes but there is a difference between taking a sub legally and taking a card abroad that you have registered to a uk address or using a card broker. surely if were supposed to be in a free trade European market it should be our legal right to pick a sub in Europe as easily as it would be to get one back home where ever that may be.

obviously though there would be a hurdle where the BBC and our other terrestrial channels are concerned. ie maybe put them on a severely tight footprint which makes it especially difficult for any one outside our borders to pick them up. aka ASTRA 1N.

jcm193
05-10-11, 09:26
This an interesting read on this case

http://www.headoflegal.com/2011/10/04/eu-law-2-fa-premier-league-0/

Larry-G
05-10-11, 16:49
and another twist to this story.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?11730-Mediaset-to-appeal-ECJ-football-ruling&p=85442#post85442

looks like this case is far from over.