PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Duo will work ok with hardware CAM & subscription? (Irdeto)

TallPaul
02-10-11, 20:03
Ok, have a genuine card for skylink (Irdeto) on 23.5E that I now want to use in the VU+ Duo I just bought from world of satellite for viewing/recording the channels it provides.

I assumed that I could throw the card in a Irdeto hardware CAM and put it in the Duo like a technomate etc and it would just work ok, but this is where I am getting confused reading threads on the topic? There is some information on this and other forums that suggests I need to use a softcam and the card in the internal (Conax according to spec) reader instead with a Duo, limitation of how it works?

Now I understand what a softcam does, i.e. emulate a hardware CAM to talk to the card, and I am aware of some of the ways in which the subsequent communication between softcam and card can be abused, but they don't interest me I just want to use genuine card in one receiver to watch/record channels card provides.

Hence the question: Can I use a standard hardware CAM in the Duo as I would do in a technomate etc?

(And in case your wondering why I haven't just tested it, I am waiting for LNB's and a load of bits and bobs to arrive to install the Duo with diseqc switching between multi sats so its still not connected at the moment)

Stanman
02-10-11, 20:07
This thread should help you as the internals are similar to the DUO. Phenoix has tested various HW cams in the UNO

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8719-Vu-Uno-CAMS-%28-hardware-not-softcams-%29&highlight=cams

Larry-G
02-10-11, 20:08
hardware cams such as a official cam are plug and play so just insert it and it should work fine. i have tested numerous irdeto cams in my uno and all work fine for me.

TallPaul
03-10-11, 07:00
Great, thanks for help. Had seen the other thread on tested cams, but what was missing was the clear statement like the one above from phoenix that hw cam will be plug & play:thumbsup:

Don't mind messing around installing plugins etc, but if I can just use hw cam will be simpler with lot less potential issues!

Larry-G
03-10-11, 12:46
It's only the so called magic cams such as the dragon or the diablo that require some user input and are not fully plug and play.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

TallPaul
03-10-11, 20:20
I am sure the softcam would work with some messing around, but there is a difference between "work" and "wife work", so HW CAM it is for reliability! Picked up a SMIT Irdeto CAM today that should do the job. Might be later FW than in the tested thread, so will report back once I try it and know details.

Larry-G
03-10-11, 20:31
yes a softcam configured properly should work with no problems but i'm more of a hardware CAM person my self. and by all means post your results once tested.

stakkabo
15-05-12, 23:34
Hi Paul - i am also using official skylink irdeto card but via different hard cam (mascom) and have only a limited functionality (basically can only watch/record a single channel at the time i.e. can't benefit from twin-tuners of my VU+ Duo). Is your SMIT CAM capable of overcoming this problem or do i need a soft cam solution for that?

I am sure the softcam would work with some messing around, but there is a difference between "work" and "wife work", so HW CAM it is for reliability! Picked up a SMIT Irdeto CAM today that should do the job. Might be later FW than in the tested thread, so will report back once I try it and know details.

Larry-G
15-05-12, 23:37
Hi Paul - i am also using official skylink irdeto card but via different hard cam (mascom) and have only a limited functionality (basically can only watch/record a single channel at the time i.e. can't benefit from twin-tuners of my VU+ Duo). Is your SMIT CAM capable of overcoming this problem or do i need a soft cam solution for that?

pretty much all hardware based cams suffer from this and only the exceptionally expensive cams sold to the networks which can decrypt whole transponders at the same time can over come this shortfall. you'd be best trying a softcam to read the card.

TallPaul
16-05-12, 13:59
I can record two channels at once, but, when thinking about it I am not certain they are two channels using the card. I will have to give it a test, I have the standard skylink cam that I bought with the card.