PDA

View Full Version : Android tablets gain market share in Australia & New Zealand in Q2

Larry-G
30-09-11, 11:29
http://cdn0.afterdawn.fi/v3/news/android_logo_text_250px_2011.png

Almost since the moment it launched, Apple's iPad has been the best selling tablet in the world. But in Australia and New Zealand, Android tablets are taking a bigger share of tablet sales than you might expect.
Tablet shipments in the two countries doubled in Q2 compared to the previous quarter, reaching 420,000 units. However, sales of Android tablets actually increased threefold according to numbers from IDC.

As a result, Android tablets accounted for 25 percent of the total market. By comparison, iPad sales accounted for 80 percent of the market in North America over the same period.

IDC Market Analyst Yee-Kuan Lau explained the trend, saying:

The market expansion was a combined effort of early adopters refreshing devices purchased last year and new users who were interested in a media tablet as a complementary device, with some waiting for more non-Apple variety. That said, there is still strong demand for Apple's iPad 2 since its launch at the end of March.

It's possible this is simply a mirror image of the scenario which played out earlier in the North American market. In that region, iPad sales only accounted for 74 percent of the market in Q1 before rebounding in Q2.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2011/09/29/android_tablets_make_market_share_gains_in_austral ia_new_zealand_in_q2

dfdream
30-09-11, 19:36
Android Tablets are tomorrows netbooks.
iPad has a market that really doesn't exist outside of itself.
Look at HP Tablet (gone), RIM Tablet (cant sell it) Samsung (cant get out of court) and others are considering dropping Android.
There is more money being spent on patents and law suits than development..
I have an Acer A500 (got it cheap) and I love it but of the 20 android phones and tablets Ive used or seen the fact that updates arent universally available and even stock apps are not the same on all devices means that users arent going to by more android like apple users do.
The whole google / motorola thing is going to give more confusion for customers.
Buy 10 android devices currently in the shops and you get Android 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 or 3.0, 3.1 , 3.2, 3.3 etc not to mind smaller revision levels.

Hopefully Ice Cream Sandwich will unify this into one version with updates at the same time for everyone.

Larry-G
30-09-11, 20:00
well i have the HTC desire, one of my brothers and me dad have the HTC wildfire and one of my sisters has the Samsung galaxy mini and every one of us will absolutly be getting another android phone when the time comes. ive had 3 iphones and i wont be getting another one of those.

dfdream
30-09-11, 20:34
I too like the android concept but there isnt enough cosistancy across the platform causes issues.
We at work changed 30 phones to various android phones an its been a nightmare to support.
Loads of different software versions for phones of the same price.
Differences in stock apps.

well i have the HTC desire, one of my brothers and me dad have the HTC wildfire and one of my sisters has the Samsung galaxy mini and every one of us will absolutly be getting another android phone when the time comes. ive had 3 iphones and i wont be getting another one of those.