PDA

View Full Version : Timeshift

wullboy
27-09-11, 11:02
Can someboby please explain what timeshift does,im running a twin tuner, so why would i want to acivate timeshift, thanks,,,

pooface
27-09-11, 11:22
Can someboby please explain what timeshift does,im running a twin tuner, so why would i want to acivate timeshift, thanks,,,

Permanent timeshift is the equivalent of sky plus. As soon as you start watching a channel (well, there's actually a slight delay)it will start recording it to your time shift location (personally would say to get a fast usb stick, or a 2.5" external usb hdd). Then, you can pause live tv, rewind to the point when you started watching, decide to record something after you've started watching it (up to the point when you started watching it) etc.

With normal time shift, it requires you to press the pause button on the remote, and will then record to your time shift location from the point you pressed pause. So you can pause live tv, but only rewind to the point when you started pausing...

When you change channel, or switch off the box, the time shift will then auto delete...

cuongzi
27-09-11, 11:59
great summary

wullboy
27-09-11, 13:20
Permanent timeshift is the equivalent of sky plus. As soon as you start watching a channel (well, there's actually a slight delay)it will start recording it to your time shift location (personally would say to get a fast usb stick, or a 2.5" external usb hdd). Then, you can pause live tv, rewind to the point when you started watching, decide to record something after you've started watching it (up to the point when you started watching it) etc.

With normal time shift, it requires you to press the pause button on the remote, and will then record to your time shift location from the point you pressed pause. So you can pause live tv, but only rewind to the point when you started pausing...

When you change channel, or switch off the box, the time shift will then auto delete...

Thanks you that pooface, now, i believe [ not at home at the mo ] that i have a timeshift folder in both my usb and my internal hdd,[ i belive the hdd one appeared after the initialization, but that maybe wrong... ]

1] Can i take it then timeshift is all about watching live tv only,

2] So should i remove one..[ usb one ] or should i keep both of them, as i would like any recording to go to my hdd [ 1TB installed ]

3[ You say permanent timeshift, why would i want a permanent timeshift and i take it this something i would put into the configurations of my vix image, and what would i put in there so as to set a permanent timeshift,

4]Does a permanent timeshift allow you to watch something else when its recording , or is that not possible with timeshift,[ as its only about live tv ? ]

THANKS......

Stanman
27-09-11, 21:16
Thanks you that pooface, now, i believe [ not at home at the mo ] that i have a timeshift folder in both my usb and my internal hdd,[ i belive the hdd one appeared after the initialization, but that maybe wrong... ]

1] Can i take it then timeshift is all about watching live tv only, Yes, timeshift is activated via the pause button but PTS is always on so as soon as you change a channel it will start recording the program so that you can rewind if needed

2] So should i remove one..[ usb one ] or should i keep both of them, as i would like any recording to go to my hdd [ 1TB installed ] No harm leave both

3[ You say permanent timeshift, why would i want a permanent timeshift and i take it this something i would put into the configurations of my vix image, and what would i put in there so as to set a permanent timeshift, The settings are in the timeshift section and you specify here where you want PTS to record to and lenght etc

4]Does a permanent timeshift allow you to watch something else when its recording , or is that not possible with timeshift,[ as its only about live tv ? ] No it only records the channel you are watching

THANKS......

Answers in bold

pooface
27-09-11, 22:30
Just to clarify stanman ...

Timshift is a recording that is not a recording. Think of it like just watching tv with the ability to rewind/pause etc. A recording only takes place when you want it to record (save) the transmission. Timeshift will only pause when you ask it to. Permanent time shift will allow pause/rewind all the time. If you then decide you want to keep this recording (don't think this works with normal time shift), you can choose to save by going to the recording button, and choosing the time shift event... If you have another channel recording at same time (assuming you have 2 feeds connected to both), you will be able to record that channel still and have the (permanent) timshift working fine ... it's the same as just watching the channel