PDA

View Full Version : DM500 HD Review

berley
27-06-10, 17:10
As per title, are there any owners of a DM500 HD on here ?

I'm toying with the idea of changing from my DM600 to either a VU Solo or DM500 HD.

I've read the review for the Solo and it would be nice to read one for the DM500 HD as well.

All/Any review would be much appreciated :)

grtmoby
27-06-10, 18:18
i'd say go for the solo

OldSkulRide
27-06-10, 19:31
ATM there is only original image for SOLO, so i would wait abit.

Sicilian
27-06-10, 20:03
ATM there is only original image for SOLO, so i would wait abit.

I dont think the VTI image is too far away. The Solo is due for release in Germany on the 30th, so expect an image from VTI around that time ;)

Anyway, sorry, back on topic, anyone here got a DM500HD?

ns77
17-07-10, 07:35
Yes i have been running a DM500 Hd,alongside a DM600 pvr & an old Itgate,the picture quality of the 500hd is excellent (as you would expect with HD).I am a fan of the dreambox & never had any problems,till now the hd can be quite unstabe,i was using with gemini image,apparently its slightly better with Pli image,BUT a few times it wouldn't boot, you just get a green led on front & a black screen,then all of a sudden it springs back to life,but now it has died all together,back to the suppliers,this seems to be a common problem with these boxes at the minute,there is a beta "attempt" fix on dm's website but never tried it as the box wouldn't boot.....hope this gives a little insight....back to the good old itgate for now :)

Donnie
27-08-10, 21:59
I have to say pound for pound the 500hd is the best linux box on the market,
Great speed, great picture quality and does everything every other dreambox does but in a smaller package.
Well except for USB and CI support but you don't really need em with this box.

basilyoung
27-08-10, 22:10
About a year ago, I would have agreed that the DM HD units were by far the best, but now that I have the VU+ duo, I have to say, that its much better than the DB range, with exception to the 8000, but on a cost basis, the VU range does have the edge, the only slight moan I have about the VU, is the tuners are hard wired, rather than plug and play,

baz

adam123
29-09-10, 02:11
hi everybody
to be honest with you i think the dreambox 500hd is the best machine at the moment with hdmi input you get good picture quality if you have samsung full hd and if you want to buy one buy from xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sicilian
29-09-10, 06:55
hi everybody
to be honest with you i think the dreambox 500hd is the best machine at the moment with hdmi input you get good picture quality if you have samsung full hd and if you want to buy one buy from xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You obviously haven't tried a VU+ receiver :roflmao:

P.S. Please dont go promoting any retailers on this board, we have our own sponsor here ;)

OldSkulRide
29-09-10, 08:06
iam getting dm500hd today as second receiver. Will tell how its going.

paul362
29-09-10, 08:27
I have always had original DM's and until recently would of bought the 500HD without a thought, but since getting my VU duo and buying a couple of solo's for friends I would go for the solo over the 500HD because personally i think the build quality is far superior on the VU units and i think the lifespan and heat dispersion will be far better.

OldSkulRide
29-09-10, 08:50
well i had option getting vu+ solo for same money, but there is no openpli image for it and it has slower CPU.
DM500HD that iam getting is latest A7 revision. That is probably good.

basilyoung
29-09-10, 09:18
nothing wrong with the DB range, (although my first edition dm 800 is cooked) cant comment on the 500HD, but I am sure its an OK unit, but as I posted earlier in this thread, the VU+ duo offers a lot more for the money, and well surported.

will soon be buying another unit ( VU+ duo )

but to those that preferr the DB units, I hope you enjoy them as much as I preferr the VU,s

baz

OldSkulRide
30-09-10, 09:06
i got it yesterday. I installed everything and I am satisfied. OpenPLi isnt good image for DM500HD because it has older drivers and remote doesnt work well with it. I put newnigma 3.0.2 which is 1.6OE image and has latest drivers. It works great. You can control speed of fan. I have it on lowest possible value. Its very quiet.

My only problem is remote. I find vu+ remote to be better.

fesoj
30-09-10, 10:16
hello all

sorry to barge in but i'm in a position to give my view as i have both receivers in my possession and am able to compare
i bought the 500HD about 8 months ago and my duo has been with me for a week or two
both receivers are great and their HD and SD pictures are the best around
i am starting to love my duo as i get the hang(!) of it ... although the images are good they are still slightly behind the DM's
response is great from both receivers
i'm used to the DMs' remotes so i'm still trying to get around the buttons layout of the DUO's remote but anyway very responsive

cheers

fulabeer
30-09-10, 12:20
iam getting dm500hd today as second receiver. Will tell how its going.

After a lot of reading up, i came to the conclusion that the 500HD might be good but was over priced.
The lowest i could find the 500HD was £310 in del/VAT
I have just got my new Vu+ DUO a TM Gold 0.1 QUAD LNB and 3m Lan cable for £375 inc Del/VAT.

Apart from the obvious twin tuner, the DUO also has many more connections a larger case (to aid cooling) and a great new image...VIX 1.1 !!!
Build quality is also top notch, and the front display is clear and easy to read. Even the remote is better.
The DUO is no slouch, and the image quality stunning.

Dream have milked people for as long as they can, the 500HD should have been around £200.
The game has changed/moved on, and for the sake of £40 (or less if i sell the QUAD LNB etc) you are getting a much more rounded machine.
(that is also well supported on here)

mapex
08-10-10, 21:21
Wll i've had my 500hd for a month or so and gotta say its a sharp
well made receiver, why did i buy dm ? because of the history of
the product, the quality of parts, all the support and for the stunning
picture quality.
Sure it has no usb port but a small mod can be done to fit one....the
vu+ has 2 tuners which is a massive advantage in todays market never
tried one but may get 1 in the future. I'd like to see dm cheaper for sure
as was said a bit over priced in todays market but will the rest of the
market stand the test of time.