PDA

View Full Version : FTP or Explorer

Nalareddep
20-09-11, 18:43
I see a lot of posts that tell you to transfer/upload files using FTP on the reciever

As I can see the directories on my VU+DUO using windows explorer to view the VUDUO folder found under the NETWORK directory I am wondering can I use either or is there some reason why I need to use a FTP application to move files?

all replies appreciated as I continue to learn

fintannl
20-09-11, 18:48
flashfxp does the job.

Larry-G
20-09-11, 19:07
i have always used flashfxp as i have a fully paid for version dating back to the days of the old xbox 1 hacks, also it's better in my opinion to use a FTP programe so that you can set the correct permissions on the various folders and files directly so no need to mess about then telnetting into the box to set the CHmod level

Nalareddep
20-09-11, 19:31
flashfxp does the job.

I am sure it does as does Terrapin but that is not what I asked !:(

Stanman
20-09-11, 20:43
Filezilla is freeware and does the job. Why you should use a dedicated FTP programme rather than windows explorer, Phenoix has cover them all in his post.

punisher
20-09-11, 20:48
Ftp program all the way as pheonix has highlighted. I use flashfxp too

silverfox0786
20-09-11, 21:39
im a filezilla guy as i noticed flashfxp doesnt store last used and favorites

Clabs
20-09-11, 21:51
Nalareddep

I don't see any real advantage using ftp over Explorer for this application. It is whatever you are most comfortable with.

Sure - there are terms like CHmod bandied about but that does nothing for the "man in the street" who perhaps has grown up with Windows Explorer. CHmod is just a "fancy" name for file permissions. In Explorer, right click the file or directory, choose properties and then Security and change the read/write permissions there.

For the record, I am well versed in both methods but Explorer is just so much more convenient.

Cheers, Mark

fintannl
20-09-11, 21:55
wouldn't have thought so with linux but i stand corrected. i have used so many dreambox tools in the past but flashfxp in terms of ease of usage is by far the best. And i am by no means a linux guru.

Larry-G
20-09-11, 21:56
yes it's all down to personal choice. i use FlashFXP daily for many reasons both at work and home so for me it's just a natural thing to do. in the same way i use the inbuilt windows Telnet client rather than a third party application such as putty. in the end it's the end users choice all we can do is give our recommendations along with a explanation as to why we do it that way.

Nalareddep
21-09-11, 10:23
i have always used flashfxp as i have a fully paid for version dating back to the days of the old xbox 1 hacks, also it's better in my opinion to use a FTP programe so that you can set the correct permissions on the various folders and files directly so no need to mess about then telnetting into the box to set the CHmod level

Sorry Pheonix but you have lost me ! I don't know that I have messed with telenetting or CHmod levels ....whatever they are sorry !!!:confused:

All I wanted to know was is there any fundamental difference in using explorer or a FTP to move files around in the box?

Nalareddep
21-09-11, 10:29
Nalareddep

I don't see any real advantage using ftp over Explorer for this application. It is whatever you are most comfortable with.

Sure - there are terms like CHmod bandied about but that does nothing for the "man in the street" who perhaps has grown up with Windows Explorer. CHmod is just a "fancy" name for file permissions. In Explorer, right click the file or directory, choose properties and then Security and change the read/write permissions there.

For the record, I am well versed in both methods but Explorer is just so much more convenient.

Cheers, Mark

Thanks Very much Mark. This man in the street welcomes straight forward answers like this without the Jargon terms. Trouble is that I can understand why some members assume knowledge that isn't there and it must be difficult pitching replies at the right level. Hey but you did it

wullboy
21-09-11, 10:51
Can i put my tuppenceworth in please, I have a very limited knowledge of computers [ a late starter in using them, & gas doesn`t need them] and most peolpe like what i would call [ laymans terms,] there can be a lot of confusion with termonology if you are not into that aspect, excuse the punt please...... but call a spade, a spade, and not a long handle implament for moving dirt, but hey, we all get there in the end, especialy with good teachers...Cheers.....

Hontch
21-09-11, 13:22
Dont forget you can resume broken transfers with FTP, dont think windows/samba support that?

Rob van der Does
22-09-11, 08:02
Yeah, FTP is far more secure than Windows/Samba.