PDA

View Full Version : HDD issue VIX 2.2

ford
20-09-11, 18:42
Hi there.
I may have posted before regarding this issue, and apologies if i did.
A starnge issue exists on the above image.
Much of the time, the internal HDD keeps ramping up, and especially when i use the remote, and has made the response of the Vu+ vey sluggish until the drive spools down.
I'ts no an epg.dat issue, as in the HDD calling on it.
I looked in the HDD via FTP and the epg.dat is not duplicated.
Am a bit of a loss with this one, and any ideas would be great please?

Many thanks in advance.

punisher
20-09-11, 20:51
Picons maybe? Where they stored?

ford
20-09-11, 21:42
No mate.
Picons are on usb sadly, but thank u.
it has recently started doing this.

silverfox0786
20-09-11, 21:44
where is yr timeshift i seems to me its yr timeshift and when u change channel the time shift restarts on that new channel

fintannl
20-09-11, 21:52
noticed similar when short power cut. hard disk is constantly running (epg and picons sitting on usb). find that when i press button that shows movie list on remote control and then go back to normal viewing hard disk operation goes back to normal. seems in this case you must perform a basic hard disk operation and after the 10 minute duration for going back into standby all is once again ok

ford
20-09-11, 21:55
Hi mate.

I have a timeshift folder in my HDD.

Is that not correct?

many thanks

ford
20-09-11, 22:02
noticed similar when short power cut. hard disk is constantly running (epg and picons sitting on usb). find that when i press button that shows movie list on remote control and then go back to normal viewing hard disk operation goes back to normal. seems in this case you must perform a basic hard disk operation and after the 10 minute duration for going back into standby all is once again ok

hi mate.

ok.
will try set my HDD idle to 10 mins.

cheers

ford
20-09-11, 22:19

You're right my friend.

How wierd is that.

Only thing I can think of is that the HDD has become partly fragmented, or something ????
I have done with the movies on it, and do a fresh format, then set it back to idle after 1 minute when i get the chance.
Your suggestion was most helpful though, and i thank you.
Also thanks to you other guys too for taking the time to help.:D

silverfox0786
20-09-11, 22:32
some ppl use usb as timeshift and find it to be ok

but according to andyblac a USB for PTS is not ideal as its not as fast for transfer rates

what i have done is got a 2.5 inch hdd put it in a esata enclosure and mounted that to USB where my timeshift all goes that way i dont constantly run my main hdd and a 2,5 inch hdd doesnt make much noise and doesnt heat up as much so it works really well

ford
20-09-11, 22:35
Yep!!!!

Confirmed all good now.
Thanks again.
Very strange however, LMFAO:p

ford
20-09-11, 22:59
some ppl use usb as timeshift and find it to be ok

but according to andyblac a USB for PTS is not ideal as its not as fast for transfer rates

what i have done is got a 2.5 inch hdd put it in a esata enclosure and mounted that to USB where my timeshift all goes that way i dont constantly run my main hdd and a 2,5 inch hdd doesnt make much noise and doesnt heat up as much so it works really well

Ahh ok.
Interesting that 1.
I use an internal sata 500gig.
Will never fill it lol.
Am aware also that TS is erased automatically once done.
USB??
Crazy, but good all the same lol

Rob van der Does
21-09-11, 06:36
Just to make clear: in his thread a number of times the location of epg.dat is mentioned. Remember that this file is only read on E2 start, and written on E2 stop. Once E2 is alive, all EPG-data is in live memory (RAM).
So there is no reason whatsoever for the HDD to spin up because of that file (only on shutdown).