PDA

View Full Version : ViX backup = strange behavior

Rimmel
19-09-11, 10:07
OK - flashed my CT9000[1] with latest bootlaoder (red xtrend screen) and latest ViX image. Got it all working etc - great.

Made a vix Image. CT9000[2] already has the latest bootlaoder on it (same as et9000[1]).

Plonk the created image on a usb flash drive and reflash et9000[2] with the image from et9000[1] - all goes well.

Except: the bootlaoder screen has now changed to the grey Extrend writing one.

I thought it was going to make a bit for bit image, but it's obviously changing something.

Any ideas?

thanks
CT

Hontch
19-09-11, 11:19
Yeah same thing happend to me, but presumably it just changes the bootloader graphic.

Rimmel
19-09-11, 21:59
That's the point though.... if it is changing something then it's not a bit for bit copy :)

andyblac
24-09-11, 19:37
the boot splash is not get backed up with the image backup. only vix backs up the boot logo, so unless you used ViX Image Manager the splash screen would not have been backed up.

Rimmel
25-09-11, 14:01
I did use vix Image manager, but I still don't understand. I thought the bootloader and image were separate, yet restoring an image changes the bootloader logo. (or does it? is it changing the bootloader as well?) You can't tell you see.

When taking an image I would expect the image to restore to the same exact state as it was when I made the image - yet is definitely isn't. I think a little clarification is needed.

Stanman
25-09-11, 14:26
What do you mean by bootloader, as all my images have been the exact same and its the vix screens in the screen shots here. http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?9037-ViX-Team-VU-Duo-Image-v2.2-11-06-2011

Larry-G
25-09-11, 14:53
the boot-loader and the image are separate entities. this is the same on the ET/XT series boxes the dreambox and every other linux based box

andyblac
25-09-11, 15:17
you are talking about the splash screen, this is NOT a bootloader screen. ViX has it own splash screen, it does NOT change the boot loader

Rimmel
26-09-11, 11:32
Right I see. Thanks.

So when I upgraded to the latest bootloader (Red one with Xtrend on it) the booloader actually overwrote the boot splash screen - then restoring an image put it back. :thumbsup:

So the next question has to be - once the image is restored to the default VIX splash... how do you tell what version bootloader you have?

thanks
CT

silverfox0786
26-09-11, 11:46
In telnet type

uname -r

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Stanman
26-09-11, 17:52
Right I see. Thanks.

So when I upgraded to the latest bootloader (Red one with Xtrend on it) the booloader actually overwrote the boot splash screen - then restoring an image put it back. :thumbsup:

So the next question has to be - once the image is restored to the default VIX splash... how do you tell what version bootloader you have?

thanks
CT
If you load a new bootloader it will display the XTrend logo but once flashed you will only see the VIX splash screen it should not be replaced, if it is thats strange:confused: