PDA

View Full Version : back-up on usb stick

wullboy
17-09-11, 16:01
Guy`s if we are reinstalling an image back-up from a usb stick, is it a case of ONLY the back-up image should be on the stick and nothing else, or should it not matter, Cheers

Stanman
17-09-11, 16:06
There should only be the file called ET5K/ET9K or VU etc

Larry-G
17-09-11, 16:25
i think it may depend on the receiver in question for example i have many things on my stick including picons / epg data daily image backups along with a known working backup incase some thing goes wrong and i need to reflash to a known working setup, as with the uno the backup will not flash unless i press the channel up button on the receiver within a few seconds of booting the receiver, not sure how it is with other boxes though.

Sicilian
17-09-11, 16:32
If you want to reflash your backup, transfer it to your pc using FTP. Then create a USB stick for flashing using the backup image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wullboy
17-09-11, 16:39
If you want to reflash your backup, transfer it to your pc using FTP. Then create a USB stick for flashing using the backup image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi sic, i have a usb that works on the duo, but when i put it into the lappy, the first thing it wants to do is format it, and as we know, that would wipe everything on it, yes i have my back up on my laptop [ can someone confirm it is a tar ball that i should have as my backup] so like i said, as soon as i put the stick into the laptop, it wants to format it first ??? i thought if the usb is working on my duo, then why must it need to format it when i put it into the laptop, after all the stick must have been formated first for it to work in a duo, or am i missing something here ?? Cheers.............

Stanman
17-09-11, 16:46
The image wont be a tar file and its always a good idea to have a backup outside of the box as you never know when you need it.

To be honest I have never done a inbox reimage with other settings on the stick even though there is an option in the image manager, I much prefer to stick the image on another USB stick and do it that way.

You can use filezilla to move stuff off the USB and onto your PC and than try the in box restore.

wullboy
17-09-11, 16:47
also guys, in the harddrive setup, i have harddisk setup......initialisation.... filesystem check & [convert filesysytem ext3 to ext4 ] now what is the ext3 to ext4 all about, could this be one of the reasons im not getting my harddrive initialized ?? should i be doing this first ??

Stanman
17-09-11, 16:50
EXT3 to EXT4 is to allow for longer filenames, wont make any difference to HDD setup. The DUO doesn't support it its the XT that do.