PDA

View Full Version : Old dish suitable for HD?

hits
16-09-11, 15:00
Hi my parents have a very old sky dish and lnb.... Approx 20 years old. They are still receiving free to air channels with their old sky box. I am thinking of getting them a vu+ duo box. Will this box work fine with the old dish and receive HD channels? Thanks

silverfox0786
16-09-11, 15:09
you might need to upgrade the lnb but apart from that should be o k

personally i would just buy this its nice and cheap anyway

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Satallite-Dishes/Sky-Zone1-and-Zone2-dishes/Sky-Zone2-63cm-Mesh-Dish-with-QUAD-LNB

hits
16-09-11, 20:13
Thanks silverfox. Total newb to all this but i'm doing a lot of reading and learning fast. Just have a couple of questions if you don't mind. Firstly is having a quad lnb the only way to have multiple receivers? Isn't it possible to use a splitter of some kind or have a cable going from one box to another?
Also with the twin tuners I have read you need two cables for each tuner to make use of the record and watch another channel functionality.... but then another post stated something about 'loopthrough tuner A to B' which does the same thing with just one cable. So why the need for two cables? Thanks again

Larry-G
16-09-11, 20:19
The only way you can run multiple feeds from a single feed lnb is with some for of amplification kit.
The best way for a home with one or two receivers is a multifeed lnb such as a dual or quad, you can kind of get round this by using a loop through but it will significantly limit the ability to record / watch channels from different transponders. also for a dual tuner receiver you only need one feed per tuner in order to use the record function etc. . best go with a dual or better quad feed lnb