PDA

View Full Version : Sat connections in my new house.

kevdoc
16-09-11, 14:17
Hi guys, I've recently moved into a brand new home and in my main living room there's a connection on the wall that has 2 sat connections on it called sat1 and sat2 these are just like on the box for a coax cable to screw onto. I was assuming then that as it was an output and somewhere on the outside of the home was it's input. This would be great if it was the case as it would save me drilling threw any Walls as the wife might not be to happy with me taking a drill to out new home. Anyways my point is, there is no input anywhere on the outside of the home or the roof or anywhere for that matter. Seems strange. My question is, what other use would these have in a new home other than to connect a satellite dish too? Seems bait weird that they are their beside the terrestrial aerial connection but nothing on the outside, or am I just that dumb I don't know were to find it lol :S

Donnie
16-09-11, 14:55
Unscrew the socket and see if it is connected :D

In not get the drill out, if it is connected get the ladder out and have a peek in the loft :confused:

punisher
16-09-11, 14:58
open the faceplate on the wal and see if there are any cables connected to the sat 1 and sat 2 connectors and you can kinda guess from there if there are any existing cables going anywhere or whether its a blank plate ready for you to drill a hole through the wall and connect a cable upto it

kevdoc
16-09-11, 23:54
Thing is if I drill threw the wall that the plate is in then il b drilling into the neighbours kitchen lol so i was assuming that the wiring is already there. I actually never even thought about checking the loft lol smh. Would make sence for it to to be their. I've removed the plate and all the wires are connected to it. Ie. Sat1, sat2, tv, radio and a telephone. Everything's hooked up as it should be, now to find were the other end of them is hiding lol

pooface
17-09-11, 00:01
As has been stated, it's likely to be in the loft. In my new house (5 years old now), all tv points were set up, but these tv points all just went straight up in the the loft.. Just needed connecting up in to the loft...

kevdoc
21-09-11, 15:07
Ok so after looking in the loft I think I've found what I'm lookin for. Question is, there's only one input and its takin by the teristial aerial that was installed when the house was build. I've attached a pic. As theres 3 outputs all ready in use it would b save to assume 1 would b the outside aerial connections tjrewout the house and the other 2 would be the 2 sat connections. Bearing in mind I've o ly moved in and havnt the equipment to test them all yet. What's your thoughts on this pic. I've also attached pics of connections threwout the house

silverfox0786
21-09-11, 15:13
you have a terestrial distro kit there

looks like yr sats are not connected

what u wantto do is get a dish installed and use the sat conctions to sent it downstairs

your right plug that has telephone is ok but yr left sats is not

infact that plate is wront for direct connection you will need to change it

it can only be used when using a quattro disctro system

if you do change the plates

i have a distro system and will buy em if you got a load of em

kevdoc
21-09-11, 15:28
When i removed that pate to the left of the phone plate all the wiring was running out of it. That's why i assumed they were connected up in the loft, could u advice me what sort of plate i would need to replace it with then for direct connection. Thanks. Now the tricky part lol when i get my dish installed on fri how am i supposed to get the cables from the dish down threw the walls to were that plate is. They most be hiding in the loft somewere. Thanks for the quick reply.

silverfox0786
21-09-11, 16:12
When i removed that pate to the left of the phone plate all the wiring was running out of it. That's why i assumed they were connected up in the loft, could u advice me what sort of plate i would need to replace it with then for direct connection. Thanks. Now the tricky part lol when i get my dish installed on fri how am i supposed to get the cables from the dish down threw the walls to were that plate is. They most be hiding in the loft somewere. Thanks for the quick reply.

ok forst of all use the excisting cable just find where it ends and the plate you need is a standard twin sat plate

you can get them from wilko's wickes, b&q [wilko's being cheepest]

wilko dont sell the distro type ones so you just go to hardware section and pick up the twin one

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/store/Unscreened-Twin-Flush-Duo-F-sockets-ideal-for-Sky-Plus.htm

kevdoc
21-09-11, 16:49
Ok mate thanks for your help, il nip down to b n q later and see can I pick one up. Need to find the other ends of those cables were ever they might be hiding lol. Just a curious question, what is that sat connection I have used for and why they thought the need for it to be installed in a new build house? Rather than that twin plate u have showed me.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

silverfox0786
21-09-11, 17:03
Ok mate thanks for your help, il nip down to b n q later and see can I pick one up. Need to find the other ends of those cables were ever they might be hiding lol. Just a curious question, what is that sat connection I have used for and why they thought the need for it to be installed in a new build house? Rather than that twin plate u have showed me.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

that twin plate you showed is a standard distro plate

used in flats

flats have a single large dish and then get distrobuted to all other flat appartments via a distro and thats teh plate to use

i think its a case of them having those laying about and used them

as contractors do use what they alread have to savemoney

as for why u are wired well thats again standard all new builds will have a cable run for coaxial and sat but not always a dish at teh end of the run

i'd say try loft again