PDA

View Full Version : TM800HD networking problems...

dishman65
10-09-11, 11:26
hi all new here, had dreamboxes in the past and the early standard tms so not completely new to sat installations.

anyhow mate of mine wanted a sat installation, and lso wanted a tmhd box, bought a tm800hd from technomate stockists, guy in shp said it was basicly plug n play, has pli-2 iq image installed all the sats pre-loaded etc..

the set up is, a router upstairs in bed 1, with pc connected and x-box, bed 2 is wireless connected laptop, with lan connection going to tm800, pick up all the free to air all sats tuned in on motorised system from 53 east to 45 west,
the problem is connecting to internet, it doesn't happen,on network test, nameserver comes up as unconfirmed, this ip address is the routers, i have dhcp off in the menu, as have static ip on tm.

is it a problem using the laptop as basicly a wireless bridge?? should i go direct from the router?? could it be a problem with ethernet cable its patched??

i've pinged box from pc and it receives data, not sure if box is talking to pc??

the router is on talk,talk, could this be the problem of a dynamic ip address??

tried the checking key, pressing ok, to get into miniwenb, but laptop doesn't open anything, any help much appreciated,

can i use DCC to access tm as i'm more familiar with that control centre?? and i've looked all over the net for a tm800hd set up guide to no avail, bloke at technomate said one doesn't exist!!!!

and have not found a tm800hd set up guide, i think i may have to come from router but thought a wireless network would work with lap top as access point!!! internet speed is good on laptop getting 5.5 meg,

any help much appreciated, never had trouble with dreamboxes as support on these is easy to find, this is a totally different thing altogether, thanks in advance...:)

silverfox0786
10-09-11, 11:30
a bit over my head

but have you tried connecting via DHCP not static

and direct connection to router

no bridging

try that report back

i had a friend with thsi issue only 2 days ago on tm800hd

i insisted his router was screwed so he brought box to my house and it connected

he went home same issue

so he called isp and found that router was setup wrong and once corrected tm800hd connected again

dishman65
10-09-11, 11:51
cheers mate thanks for reply, i was hoping that someone may have had these connected via wireless bridge, as mate has already spent 300.00 plus, and because of laminated floors upstairs, i said next option would be home plugs from a direct router connection, its either a 15 metre ethernet cable or home plugs too the router..

but i thought these stbs could be used on a bridged wireless system, looks like it may have to be direct from router then, did your mate have to config router too port forward or did he just plug n play?? and whats the best control centre to use can DCC be used?? cheers mate thanks for reply,appreciated..

i have at some point had nameserver confirmed in green on the network test but it didn't last?? which makes me think it can be bridged..

dishman65
10-09-11, 11:53
and do you know of a network tut or user manual for this set up and box cheers

silverfox0786
10-09-11, 12:27
and do you know of a network tut or user manual for this set up and box cheers

there is ntot much tp learn

its default set to DHCP just leave ti as it is

as long as router is DHCP then it will connect

if its wireless

just go to network settings menu and add

SSID and password

Stanman
10-09-11, 12:29
As an alternative to Hplugs you can use a wireless dongle on these, but I prefer HP for the better and more stable imho connection.

dishman65
10-09-11, 12:57
there is ntot much tp learn

its default set to DHCP just leave ti as it is

as long as router is DHCP then it will connect

if its wireless

just go to network settings menu and add

SSID and password thanks for reply, so to recap, in network, turn off interface, enable dhcp, then run network test, interface is where you input static ip, will this connect from, laptop which is wireless and picking up connection from router??

tm box is hard wire ethernet lan into back of laptop, would i only enable wireless connection if i had dongle in tm? and i can i add any wireless dongle as i have a bt voyager at home and a belkin dongle?? if needed,

i thought the hard wire lan connection from laptop would be more stable, would it be better to connect wirelessly to router via dongle from tm, and cut out laptop all together, guy in technomate stockists said you only need 500bytes of data and not a lot of speed to view channels, if not he'll have to part with 50 plus to get home plugs. and go up that route, also its crossed my mind, that maybe ethernet cable being a blue patch one may not be suitable as i've heard you need crossover, as the tm shop guy said it don't matter, ethernet is ethernet..

Stanman
10-09-11, 13:01
Cant help with the third para as that is edging towards a rule break but a wifi dongle would be better if only to save the leccy from having the laptop on to all the time

wullboy
10-09-11, 16:52
thanks for reply, so to recap, in network, turn off interface, enable dhcp, then run network test, interface is where you input static ip, will this connect from, laptop which is wireless and picking up connection from router??

tm box is hard wire ethernet lan into back of laptop, would i only enable wireless connection if i had dongle in tm? and i can i add any wireless dongle as i have a bt voyager at home and a belkin dongle?? if needed,

i thought the hard wire lan connection from laptop would be more stable, would it be better to connect wirelessly to router via dongle from tm, and cut out laptop all together, guy in technomate stockists said you only need 500bytes of data and not a lot of speed to view channels, if not he'll have to part with 50 plus to get home plugs. and go up that route, also its crossed my mind, that maybe ethernet cable being a blue patch one may not be suitable as i've heard you need crossover, as the tm shop guy said it don't matter, ethernet is ethernet..

Look at both ends of your ethernet cable, and if the ends are like for like, then it`s not a crossover, Cheers m8