PDA

View Full Version : Problem driving Diseqc Dark motor.

machare
08-09-11, 23:49
I have an ET9000 running Vix 2.2 with Tuner B connected to a new Diseqc 1.2 Dark Motor.

I am having problems getting the receiver to move the dish properly. What appears to happen is that the ET9000 is cutting the volts on the LNB port before the dish has reached the correct position.

This is particularly likely to happen when the gap between the satellites is 10 deg or more. Small moves are more likely to be OK.

I have a little satellite signal strength meter which at the moment is located next to the receiver and connected in the Tuner B cable.

The meter has a light. This is bright for Horizontal, and dim for Vertical. When the receiver moves the dish, after a few seconds the light goes out. The light comes back on if I disconnect the meter cable that goes to the motor.

Reconnecting this cable sometimes makes the light go out, and sometimes not.

I have tried changing 'Use Power Measurement' off and on, the 'Power threshold in mA' and 'Rotor turning speed' in the Tuner settings but have not solved the problem.

Has anyone a suggestion as to how to solve this problem?

PS I think 'Power threshold in mA' should read 'Current threshold in mA'.

Sicilian
09-09-11, 05:17
Check your tuner configuration and make sure your long and latt settings are correct. Also was the dish aligned correctly with Thor 1deg on installation? Enter your long and latt settings, not the ones in the screenshot.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=382&d=1274390993

machare
09-09-11, 18:03
Thank you for your reply. I was using the advanced settings, but whether I use the Simple or the Advanced settings I get the same problem. The motor itself is new and I was using the receiver to check the dish alignment when I encountered the problem. I have since found:

a) I get the same problem using Tuner A instead of Tuner B

b) If I disconnect the LNB from the motor, the ET9000 appears to be able to move the dish from side to side apparently without problem. The LNB is an MTI 0.6 Quad.

c) My Humax HDR can drive the motor + LNB perfectly, and if the Humax is to be believed there is not much wrong with the dish alignment.

So have I got a faulty receiver, or is the ET9000 + Dark Motor + MTI 0.6 Quad LNB a combination of components that does not work?

I am curious as to whether anyone else is using an ET9000 with an Alsat Dark Motor, and if so what LNB they are using?

Sicilian
09-09-11, 18:31
When the dish/motor was installed was it correctly aligned to Thor 1deg west?

machare
09-09-11, 19:26
Yes, I used Thor 5 for alignment. The Humax HDR clocks 100% quality on my test transponders on Astra2, Thor 5, 5w and 30w, I get 80% on 36E. The ET9000 can receive from the same transponders, however the quality figures are not quite as good as when I was using a 36v motor driven by another receiver.