PDA

View Full Version : advice please channel master

jcm193
08-09-11, 14:16
Hi I've been offered a 1.8 channel master with the polar mount,actuator and patio mount for 140. My question is will the dish and mount be ok on the on grass if i weight it down with blocks or slabs its in a fairly sheltered spot thanks.

Edit here is the actual patio stand

-http://www.grax.co.uk/P/All3in-Non-Penetrating-Roof-Mount%281240%29.aspx

bassethound
08-09-11, 14:34
its best to us a Kingpost concreted in to the ground as my channel master 2.4 blew away in a storm several years ago when i had mine set up the same way as you are suggesting

silverfox0786
08-09-11, 15:57
i got my 1.2m channel master on a 1m concrete and heveyweight breeze block pedistal

been standing for over 15 years now

Larry-G
08-09-11, 16:08
as already suggested make damn sure you have the dish anchored properly. i had a 3 meter channel master in my garden for around 10 years until one day it got picked up and thrown half through my house by a wicked powerful storm we had while i was at work.

kubo
08-09-11, 19:56
Hi I've been offered a 1.8 channel master with the polar mount,actuator and patio mount for 140. My question is will the dish and mount be ok on the on grass if i weight it down with blocks or slabs its in a fairly sheltered spot thanks.

Edit here is the actual patio stand

-http://www.grax.co.uk/P/All3in-Non-Penetrating-Roof-Mount%281240%29.aspx

The recommended non-penetrating stand for the channel master 1.8m dish (mainufactured by Baird in the US) has a base approximately 3m x 3m and has a mounting pole diameter of 4.5". It looks a bit like this:

I use anywhere from 600kg ~ 1000kg concrete blocks to stop it from moving depending on how exposed the location is.

The one you refer to is about 1.2m square with a 3" pole.....quite a difference!

It can do one of two things:

a) Topple over
b) Slip

Are you willing to risk a) damaging your dish if it blows over or b) paying for/repairing the damage if it takes a trip accross the garden? :eek:

Your call......