PDA

View Full Version : Subtitles on HD skins squished

captain jack
07-09-11, 09:58
Hi,

I've actually posted this message on OpenPLI forums but didn't really get any concrete answers. Basically, the issue is that whenever I use HD skins, my teletext subtitles appear "squished" from the sides. This only happens on teletext subtitles and only on HD skins. This also happened on my old DM800 box, so I think the issue is related to either the drivers, OpenPLI subtitle handler or the skin used.

Here's what it looks like with HD and non-HD skins.

Any ideas? Can I manually modify HD skins to make subtitles look like they do in SD ones

Cheers
CJ

pooface
07-09-11, 10:55
Have you tried different hd skins, or is it the same with all hd skins?

captain jack
07-09-11, 11:08
Exactly the same with *all* HD skins. If there's a tag I can add/modify in skin.xml, let me know :) Seems like I need to change subtitle aspect ratio more than anything else. Maybe I can find 16:9 fonts... hmmm...

captain jack
07-09-11, 13:11
Fixed :D Changed the font in /usr/share/enigma2/skin_subtitles.xml to nmsbd.ttf and it's showing perfect subs now.

Rob van der Does
07-09-11, 17:18
I followed your questions on the PLi forum and the problem was (and still is) that nobody could reproduce it.
Please do me a favour: use Magic-HD (without changing anything) and see if you then have the same problem?

captain jack
07-09-11, 17:22
Yes, I tried Magic HD skin (one of the first I tried). The problem was that skin_subtitles.xml had valis_enigma.ttf font in it, which is "squished" normally. It's just when it's viewed using a 4:3 skin, it's stretched, therefore making it look normal.

I don't believe any skins update this xml file...

Rob van der Does
07-09-11, 17:31
Yes, I tried Magic HD skin (one of the first I tried). The problem was that skin_subtitles.xml had valis_enigma.ttf font in it, which is "squished" normally. It's just when it's viewed using a 4:3 skin, it's stretched, therefore making it look normal.
I really (still) don't understand it: I always use Magic-HD and virtually all programs with subtitles and never experienced any problem, whether the program was 4:3 or 1:9.

I don't believe any skins update this xml file...
What do you mean by that? Magic-(E)HD is updated almost daily.

captain jack
07-09-11, 17:47
I really (still) don't understand it: I always use Magic-HD and virtually all programs with subtitles and never experienced any problem, whether the program was 4:3 or 1:9.

It's not the program's aspect that's the problem, it's the skin. Using normal Magic skin (non-HD) with the default font of valis_enigma.ttf, gives me good subtitles. Once I changed the font within /usr/share/enigma2/skin_subtitles.xml, everything was fine with HD skins.

What do you mean by that? Magic-(E)HD is updated almost daily.

No skin I know of (Magic HD including) updates /usr/share/enigma2/skin_subtitles.xml file, which is where the font definition for subtitles is stored. Have a look inside yours and let me know what it says under:

<fonts>
<font filename="nmsbd.ttf" name="Subs" scale="100" />
</fonts>

As you can see I changed the font to nmsbd.ttf. If you change yours to valis_enigma.ttf, you will get squished subtitles.

Rob van der Does
07-09-11, 21:47
1- I continue not understanding the problem: I never ever experienced any problem. And I'm always on Magic-(E)HD, using the subtitles daily.
2- You are right that the skin does not change the skin_subtitles.xml, as the two files are not related. I never had any reason to change the font.

captain jack
07-09-11, 21:56
Can you post a screenshot of subtitles? This problem only happens on TXT subtitles, not DVB. Also, what's your font set to in skin_subtitles.xml?

pooface
07-09-11, 22:05
Just checked on BBC1 with ttx 888 subs... Here's my screenshot:

As for the xml, I have this:

<skin>
<fonts>
<font filename="valis_enigma.ttf" name="Subs" scale="100" />
</fonts>
<subtitles>
<sub name="Subtitle_TTX" font="Subs;34" borderColor="#000000" borderWidth="3" />
<sub name="Subtitle_Regular" font="Subs;34" foregroundColor="#ffffff" borderColor="#000000" borderWidth="3" />
<sub name="Subtitle_Bold" font="Subs;34" foregroundColor="#ffffff" borderColor="#000000" borderWidth="3" />
<sub name="Subtitle_Italic" font="Subs;34" foregroundColor="#ffffff" borderColor="#000000" borderWidth="3" />
</subtitles>
</skin>

captain jack
07-09-11, 22:08
That looks very squished to me :D Try a different font and you'll see what they should look like.

pooface
07-09-11, 22:13
That looks very squished to me :D Try a different font and you'll see what they should look like.

tbh, on screen it doesn't look as squished as it does in that picture in my eyes...

Also, I think it took far too much space up on screen when I used the SD skin to check! This font is much subtler, and imo better...

captain jack
07-09-11, 22:17
Ah fair enough. I supposed it's down to personal preference.

Rob van der Does
08-09-11, 06:50
1- DVB-subtitles are a bitmap and can hardly be changed by the system (although PLi & ViX have some tricks to enhance them);
2- TT-subtitles are captured and are influenced by the system:
- by the font in skin-subtltles.xml;
- by a number of user settings (on PLi & ViX that is) such as size, location and rewrap.
3- My system uses the standard skin_subtitles as supplied by the ViX-image: no changes are made