PDA

View Full Version : Vix for Humax Foxsat HDR - Please!

machare
04-09-11, 19:04
Have the Vix Team ever considered making a version of VIX for the Humax Foxsat HDR?

The HDR has similar hardware to the Vu+ Duo and ET9000. i.e. twin tuner PVR with Ethrnet, HDMI, USB and S/PDIF ports. The underlying operating system is Linux, and there are unofficial add ons that enable telnet and ftp. The main disadvantage is the User Interface which does not allow easy switching to non Freesat channels.

silverfox0786
04-09-11, 19:15
I don't think there is a high enough demand fir these to warrant an image

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

machare
05-09-11, 19:32
Argos are selling the HDR with a 320GB disk for about £225. That would make a very reasonably priced Linux box. You would think that they might sell very well.

The Humax firmware is OK if you just want to watch Freesat, but some what inconvenient if you want to watch non Freesat channels.

Sicilian
05-09-11, 19:47
The Humax foxsat is not a opensource linux receiver.

machare
05-09-11, 20:42
What does it take to make it an open source linux receiver?

silverfox0786
05-09-11, 20:43

open source means the software source code is open to everyone

closed source means its closed and no one can edit or change it

thats down to the software delepors to do that

nothing we can do matey

Larry-G
05-09-11, 20:47

the manufacturers of the receiver must first release the source code for the image before any thing could be done.

Stanman
05-09-11, 20:47

Have a look at the September issue of what satellite and digital TV, they have an article on adding extra functionality to the Foxsat. Its a lovely box and these new features make it better - not as good as linux box but not bad.

machare
06-09-11, 11:52
Have a look at the September issue of what satellite and digital TV, they have an article on adding extra functionality to the Foxsat. Its a lovely box and these new features make it better - not as good as linux box but not bad.
I have not seen that, but I do have some additions that were mentioned on other forums. If I can get one of them working it might be possible to use my ET9000 to play a .ts file stored on the HDR.

I bought my HDR when they first came out nearly 3 years ago, but I have never really liked it.

I avoided Dreamboxes in the past because I did not find good support for UK users, also they are expensive. The ET9000 + Vix changes that. The box is not to expensive, and there is clearly very good support.