PDA

View Full Version : HDD problems

fintannl
15-08-11, 16:15
out of interest, i currently have an external esata drive connected to my duo. is it possible to have both internal and external drive connected at the same time to the vu+ duo. if so how do you define which storage device to use when saving a movie?

digidude
15-08-11, 17:11
out of interest, i currently have an external esata drive connected to my duo. is it possible to have both internal and external drive connected at the same time to the vu+ duo. if so how do you define which storage device to use when saving a movie?

in the mount point menu, youd set the internal HDD as hdd, and the esata one as HDD1. i have similar setup for recording and timeshifting, recordings are set to go to HDD, and timeshifting to USB for silent operation as i have a 16Gb SD card plugged in to the rear

fintannl
01-09-11, 10:50
so finally got around to actually doing this. and so the questions begin. as suggested i have one drive set up on /hdd and one on /hdd1. however i'm still at a loss on how to record to the second drive on /hdd1. When i record i see no option on how to specify which drive i would like to record to. the recording by default occurs to the disk on /hdd. any help appreciated. is there any way to combine both drives into one drive on /hdd in which case the system sees the two 1TB drives as being a single 2TB drive and will simply start writing to the second drive when the first drive has filled up

Stanman
01-09-11, 10:56
Fintanni,
I have moved your posts from the bargain basment HDD thread to its own. Please do not post in bargain notification threads problems your having as its likely to be overlooked by many members due to incorrect title.

pooface
01-09-11, 11:55
so finally got around to actually doing this. and so the questions begin. as suggested i have one drive set up on /hdd and one on /hdd1. however i'm still at a loss on how to record to the second drive on /hdd1. When i record i see no option on how to specify which drive i would like to record to. the recording by default occurs to the disk on /hdd. any help appreciated. is there any way to combine both drives into one drive on /hdd in which case the system sees the two 1TB drives as being a single 2TB drive and will simply start writing to the second drive when the first drive has filled up

You cannot combine the 2 drives as one, as there are no raid drivers on these boxes unfortunately :p

But, what you can do, is have the drives mounted as you do (e.g. /media/hdd & /media/hdd2), and then telnet in to your box, and create a symlink in /media/hdd/movie to /media/hdd2/ using the following command:

ln -s /media/hdd2 /media/hdd/movie/hdd2

This will then allow you to browse your e-sata hdd, just like it was part of the normal hdd, when using stuff like the movie player etc. To then tell certain programs to record in the 2nd hdd, you just need to change the timer movie location to the /media/hdd/movie/hdd2 folder...

fintannl
01-09-11, 19:17
thanks pooface. so i tried this command and sure enough now when i use the remote to go into the movie list i now see the hdd2 folder. i can go into this folder and see that i have 1tb of space to play with. So that part is great. however i'm still at a loss on recording to this hard disk. i've gone into menu/setup/system/recording paths on the remote control and clicked on the default movie location. so here i get a new screen where i can see the hdd2 directory but no matter what arrow buttons i use on the remote control i cannot move to select anything on this screen. all i can do is press ok which exits me from the screen?????

pooface
01-09-11, 23:17
Just off to bed, so brief...

But, if u press channel up/down buttons, it takes u to the file browser. Can also press menu button to select...

Sent with Tapatalk

fintannl
02-09-11, 07:22
and thats about it. perfect. great advice as ever. thanks pooface