PDA

View Full Version : EPG routine

silky
26-08-11, 10:20
Hi Folks,

I thought this post maybe helpful to others so here goes.

I was having problems with my EPG as it seems quite a lot of people do from time to time. The scheduled download would work sometimes but not others and sometimes it would crash half way through etc etc.

This is what I have done:

Using the latest VIX image, I have set my VU+DUO to wake up and reboot enigma using the power manager at 6am, then I set the xmltv importer to download my EPG (5 in total) at 6:10am, than at 6:20am again using the power manager settings I set the box to go into standby.

The result having tested this for last 2 weeks is the EPG downloads EVERY time and is available when I get up around 6:30am every morning.

Hope this helps someone. ;)

Regards

Silky.

Rob van der Does
28-08-11, 18:37
What you are actually doing is working around a (probable) memory problem. EPG download should work flawlessly, and it normally does. If the box crashes, there is a crashreport, telling exactly what happened. Post it here, so one of the devs can have a look at it.
But more probable, is that you are downloading too much. Given the fact that just after booting it works fine for you, makes it more likely that this indeed is your problem. Then it is not a crash (hence no crashreport), but an Enigma2 restart. You can solve that by either using a SWAP-file, or downloading less content (less providers and or less extended description days).

silverfox0786
29-08-11, 23:23
usually the box needs to save the data as vuplus nl says

if you dont get a gui restart at teh very minimum after a epg download the data will not have saved

i use xepgdb and set my box to do a gui restart after it so that epg gets saved and works very well for me

Rob van der Does
30-08-11, 04:45
usually the box needs to save the data as vuplus nl says

if you dont get a gui restart at teh very minimum after a epg download the data will not have saved
1- EPG-data is saved (default as epg.dat or another name if you changed that in the settings) when Enigma2 is stopped (e.g. by a GUI-restart and even when E2 crashes);
2- After an EPG-download E2 is normally not restarted --> no epg.dat is written;
3- The box can run for months without any restart: in that case epg.dat is never written at all;
4- epg.dat is only needed to read the EPG-data after a box restart.

silky
30-08-11, 08:12
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your comments on this topic, I tried various ways to get this to update on a regular basis but found that the method Im now using works best for me.

I suppose I do download quite a lot of EPG data so as vuplus nl says that maybe the reason it crashes, with this new method it downloads every time so Im happy enough with that.

Thanks again.

Silky.

Rob van der Does
30-08-11, 08:22
1- EPG-data is saved (default as epg.dat or another name if you changed that in the settings) when Enigma2 is stopped (e.g. by a GUI-restart and even when E2 crashes);
2- After an EPG-download E2 is normally not restarted --> no epg.dat is written;
3- The box can run for months without any restart: in that case epg.dat is never written at all;
4- epg.dat is only needed to read the EPG-data after a box restart.
Forgot to say that all EPG-data, whatever the source, is in live-memory (RAM). Storage on HDD/USB is only for EPG being available after a reboot.

dixons
01-09-11, 10:55
Forgot to say that all EPG-data, whatever the source, is in live-memory (RAM). Storage on HDD/USB is only for EPG being available after a reboot.

This is true to a point and this is why it is recommended to set up a swap file. I would recommend setting up swap on USB device as this is flash memory and accessible faster than HDD. This usually solves the issue of having a large epg download crash your system.