PDA

View Full Version : How to go about installing a HDD

Ezee
23-08-11, 22:28
As a new-bee on enigma receivers i am totally oblivious of how to go about installing a HDD into my brand-new vu+UNO Can anybody point me to- or provide me with a step-by-step instruction?
I will really not like to end up asking here for someone to help me fix a messy do-it-myself action....strange anyway that the included manual is not mentioning in any fashion how to go about it, apart of some great pictures of the hardware installation that do not help to much....

Larry-G
23-08-11, 22:43
have a read of this thread.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?10357-hard-drive-init.

physically installing the HDD into the receiver is the easy bit.

Ezee
23-08-11, 22:49
thanx for the fast reply pheonix, I read this thread before posting my message. I was hoping that someone could tell me why the receiver was not initiating the formatting of the disk by itself. According to messages on this and other forums you can conclude that the machine should do this but unclear is what are the demands on the the hardware that is put in to let it run the auto-formatting successfully. And then I am talking about putting new HDD never formatted before of course

Larry-G
23-08-11, 22:52
to be honest it's pretty much hit and miss. i tried two HDD'S in my uno one brand new 2.5 360 gig samsung. strait from the packet. worked rite away with no issues. i also tried another drive ( exactly the same specs and model etc ) but found i had to format that one to NTFS first for the box to pick it up.

Ezee
23-08-11, 23:17
it takes different messages the make me smile about my new machine:( is the manufacturer aware of this silly bug? makes one think that a release in a rush made them to ignore this and accidentally leave any written info on that out of the manual. (which is really poorly written anyway and minimalized on content)
So the advice is comes down to pre format the disk before shoving it down the machine's throat because it might choke on it

Larry-G
23-08-11, 23:25
to be honest it's a common thing with all linux based receivers and always has been. i even had the same thing 9 years ago with my DM7020.
as for instructions all you need to do is pre-format the hdd, install it into your receiver then from the image of your choice initialize and mount the drive. it really is a very simple task to do.

Ezee
23-08-11, 23:40
I will have a go at it, does the main board have any limitations concerning the maximum size of the HDD that it can manage? because I still have to choose the disk that I will use

Larry-G
23-08-11, 23:41
i know a few people who have 1tb drives in theirs and one or two with a 2tb drive ( partitioned into two 1tb sections )

Ezee
23-08-11, 23:54
Ok, thanx allot for your answers and clearing me up on this issue:thumbsup:. Also thinking about pimping the machine with a nice and more extensive featured image as it is still working on the factory one. Any chance that there is a step-by-step description of how to go about that somewhere here or is there somewhere a "howto" list of threads because that I wasn't able to detect yet (which can also be my shortcoming)

Larry-G
24-08-11, 00:02
if you intend to make your own image you will need o do a lot of reading and have a good knowledge of python. start slowly first maybe try some of the other images such as our very own VIX image or even BH ( black hole ) if that takes your fancy, there are many excellent images to choose from.

satplustv
24-08-11, 16:03
Only my own personal preference but having tried a number of images i find the ViX one far superior and nice and clean and very easy to use, as for installing it its very easy once you know how:

Down load the image from this site: http: //www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?9740-ViX-Team-VU-Uno-Image-v2.2.100-21-07-2011

How to guide is here: http: //www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8148-How-to-flash-Upgrade-Vu-Uno-via-USB-memory-stick

All you need is a memory stick and 10 minutes and off you go !

The team on this site are very helpful and will point you in the right direction if you get stuck.

Enjoy SPTV