PDA

View Full Version : Whats the cheapest way of getting 3G mobile internet simcard for a netbook?

Sicilian
21-08-11, 21:17
As the title guys, whats the cheapest way of getting 3G mobile internet simcard for a netbook?

Not sure if I should use an iphone/ipad simcard. Any ideas anyone?

bassethound
21-08-11, 21:25
Get a pre paid simcard like these from ebay :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THREE-3-MOBILE-BROADBAND-SIM-CARD-3G-PAYG-3GB-MiFi-/390336119051?pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item5ae1d8810b

Sicilian
21-08-11, 21:37
I'm thinking of getting the T-Mobile iphone sim card
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/iphone/micro-sim/ £5 + £10 top up and get twelve months free internet. 500mb a month, only need it for browsing.

bassethound
21-08-11, 21:39
sounds ok sic if its for that netbook i sold you m8 im not sure if its unlocked to any network as i only used o2 :D

Larry-G
21-08-11, 21:40
thats what i use me self got unlimited with a 3gig per month fair use policy for £15 per month .

silverfox0786
21-08-11, 23:53
tbh with you sic

i have a contract t-mobile pho0ne with my iphone

and i get free unlimited internet with fair usage

i tether my iphone to my netbook and it works fine

aand t mobile dont penalise you for over browsing or charge extra

they dont tell ppl that this can be done but tethering the phone works fine and is the best and cheapest option

:D

Sicilian
22-08-11, 10:35
@ Basset, yes its going in the netbook you sold me a while back, hope its unlocked lol.

Getting the wife to pickup one of these from T-Mobile store today
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/iphone/micro-sim/

I've got a micro to standard sim adapter, so fingers crossed it will work. If it does it'll be a bargain for FREE 3G internet for a year :D

silverfox0786
22-08-11, 11:10
@ Basset, yes its going in the netbook you sold me a while back, hope its unlocked lol.

Getting the wife to pickup one of these from T-Mobile store today
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/iphone/micro-sim/

I've got a micro to standard sim adapter, so fingers crossed it will work. If it does it'll be a bargain for FREE 3G internet for a year :D

YES IT WORKS SIC

i tried it once

used my contract simcard inside a T-mobile USB dongle and it works a charm

just means you cant get incomming calls thats all

btw why didnt you ask me for a micro sim adaptotr i got a shite load of em from my mates mobile shop

Sicilian
22-08-11, 11:56
just means you cant get incomming calls thats all

That wont matter.

btw why didnt you ask me for a micro sim adaptotr i got a shite load of em from my mates mobile shop

Didn't realised you had any. If you could send me one it would be very much appreciated, thanks.

pooface
22-08-11, 12:11
This is looking quite an attractive sim card if you can get free internet for 12 months...

Might get one for adding to my usb dongle so I can connect my laptop when at work :thumbsup: Let us know how it goes sic. And Silver, if Sic has it all going well, then I wouldn't mind one of those sim adapters too ;) :p

One thing I wonder tho:

Please note that the 12 months free internet is for the iPhone 4 only and is not available for the iPad or any other device.

Can they tell you're using the device in any other device to an iphone 4? I'm wondering if they detect the headers and tell what browser you're using ... so, if you are not using an iphone, then they can tell, and after a period, they might just disable the sim?!

silverfox0786
22-08-11, 12:24
Didn't realised you had any. If you could send me one it would be very much appreciated, thanks.

yep no probs i'll send one out to ya

I wouldn't mind one of those sim adapters too ;) :p

no worries i'll send ya one too

One thing I wonder tho:
Can they tell you're using the device in any other device to an iphone 4? I'm wondering if they detect the headers and tell what browser you're using ... so, if you are not using an iphone, then they can tell, and after a period, they might just disable the sim?!

well as for me

my iphone is offline payed 660 for it from apple and plugged in my contract sim

yes tmobile knows im using it and it registers in my-tmobile website account login but........

t-mobile only say this to shite you up.... it means nothing a sim is a sim and it wont matter where you use it

yes they will know what device is being used... thats how they lock stolen phones by your sim serial even though you dont have the phone imei it registeres off teh sim and blocks it

t-mobile are the one provider i have noticed that doesnt penalise for these things that i know as i had a 2 hour convo with t-mobile support about a year ago asking this and the guy was reluctant to tell me but got fed up and told me all the info i needed

so they say fair usage and no you cant use in othe phones but.... in truth tmobile dont penalise on fair usage and even if you use out of designated device they dont penalise and i beeen doing this for ages and my brother been doing it for years

so its all good

Sicilian
22-08-11, 13:23
T
One thing I wonder tho:

Cant see that they can detect this, in anycase its only £15 :)

Sicilian
22-08-11, 20:15
Missus picked up sim card today, slotted in 3G modem, all working sweet :D

Only thing is, I was supposed to get 12 months free internet, just got a message saying 6 months :( but hey still a bargain @ £15.

silverfox0786
22-08-11, 20:17
Missus picked up sim card today, slotted in 3G modem, all working sweet :D

Only thing is, I was supposed to get 12 months free internet, just got a message saying 6 months :( but hey still a bargain @ £15.

btw did you read teh small print

it says £5 for sim plus £10 top there and then

and then £10 topup every month thereafer

Sicilian
22-08-11, 20:26
btw did you read teh small print

it says £5 for sim plus £10 top there and then

and then £10 topup every month thereafer

The £10 thereafter is only to qualify for the 100mins per month ;)

Btw just called T mobile, upto 12months free internet now :D Happy days :)

Sicilian
22-08-11, 20:46
Just got this text from T Mobile :D

Congratulations, your 12 months of free internet has been set up on your phone and is ready to use straight away. Happy surfing!

silverfox0786
22-08-11, 20:50
Just got this text from T Mobile :D

oh get on might get one myself got a dell laptop with a built in simcard slot might stick one in and leave it

but i would just to make sure is call up t mob and clarify the txt

Sicilian
22-08-11, 20:53
Silver m8, this is what the T mobile site says:-

iPhone 4 pay as you go micro-SIM Get 100 minutes free & 12 months free internet worth £40*

Top up £10 each month and get 100 free anytime minutes to
UK mobiles and landlines to use the next month.

* 500MB per month
Please note that the 12 months free internet is for the iPhone 4 only and is not available for the iPad or any other device.

The £10 each month is purely to get 100 free minutes every month, not the 3G internet.

silverfox0786
22-08-11, 20:58
Silver m8, this is what the T mobile site says:-

iPhone 4 pay as you go micro-SIM Get 100 minutes free & 12 months free internet worth £40*

Top up £10 each month and get 100 free anytime minutes to
UK mobiles and landlines to use the next month.

* 500MB per month

The £10 each month is purely to get 100 free minutes every month, not the 3G internet.

yes thats what i read too

the reason why i say is because the full terms are where the catch is

for e.g.

there is o2 sim payg

and it says that you must top up £10 each month to get your deal and that £10 then is still there for using as calls it wont be deducted to get the deal but must be topped up

i remeber when t mobile did a deal for free weekend calls you had to top up £15 per month to get the deal activated but the £15 was still available to use for callls and texts

pooface
22-08-11, 21:11
Well, I wouldn't bother phoning em up, as they entered in to a contract giving you 12 months internet, as they sent you a text telling you you have 12 months internet enabled... If they don't keep it up, then sue em :p

ukbob
26-09-11, 19:45
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/iphone/micro-sim/ £5 + £10 top up and get twelve months free internet. 500mb a month, only need it for browsing.

Can i enquire as to how this panned out..
Now you've had it longer than a month,have you had to top up again or not... please.

pooface
26-09-11, 19:48
Was just thinking about this earlier today ... remembered I needed to look in to this...

Sicilian
26-09-11, 20:40
Can i enquire as to how this panned out..
Now you've had it longer than a month,have you had to top up again or not... please.

Still working sweet ;)

ukbob
29-09-11, 10:14

Mine arrived yesterday... still won't work in dongle..
Balance on it is £0 ,not made any calls or anything...
Still trying to get my £10 top up from t-mobile,but my card isn't on their system......

Sicilian
29-09-11, 10:16
I got mine from a T Mobile high street store.

ukbob
29-09-11, 11:08
Sorted, it was on wrong plan.
When recieved it was on p&yg everyday with £0 balance.
Should have been on p&yg talk plan with £10 balance.
Thanks everyone... especially Sicilian.
Will come in handy for light browsing when subbed gear goes down.

pooface
01-10-11, 07:34
Btw just called T mobile, upto 12months free internet now :D Happy days :)

Just got one of these (well, yesterday, but only just put in phone). Also, my text only said 6 months. What did u do? Call the number on the welcome pack thing and say only had 6 month not 12? Will try giving em a call later...

Sent with Tapatalk

Sicilian
01-10-11, 07:48
Just got one of these (well, yesterday, but only just put in phone). Also, my text only said 6 months. What did u do? Call the number on the welcome pack thing and say only had 6 month not 12? Will try giving em a call later...

Sent with Tapatalk

Yes m8, give them a call.

pooface
04-10-11, 16:04
Well, finally got around to calling them up, and got told that they've removed the 6 months free, and added the 12 months free. Only query I got now, is that I haven't received a text confirming I have the 12 months...

Hopefully will be set up tho :)

Oooops, too late, text just came through :D

Now, that's one pretty sweet deal... 12 months free internet for £5 :D

silverfox0786
17-10-11, 18:32
just got myself one of these cant wait

DixieRay
23-10-11, 10:19
can someone please let me know if i buy the tmobile sim and get one of those sim upsizer holders if it will work for internet in a dell latitude laptop that has a normal size sim holder under the battery? this sounds too good to be true, for £5 i get a sim and free mobile broadband for ayear do i need to pay the £10 top up or is that only for phone calls? i think i might need to run a program on the laptop to make it connect but not sure really.

silverfox0786
23-10-11, 12:18
I got the same laptop a D620 and I got the sim too I will try later and let you know

You only top up for calls

Yes you need software I will try dig it out and post here

pooface
23-10-11, 20:06
can someone please let me know if i buy the tmobile sim and get one of those sim upsizer holders if it will work for internet in a dell latitude laptop that has a normal size sim holder under the battery? this sounds too good to be true, for £5 i get a sim and free mobile broadband for ayear do i need to pay the £10 top up or is that only for phone calls? i think i might need to run a program on the laptop to make it connect but not sure really.

If ordering online, you will be charged £5 for the sim itself, and will need to apply a £10 topup.

I went in store, and asked at my local. They told me that I only needed to put a £5 topup, if that's all I wanted, and since it was a store, they supply the sim free of charge... So, my advice, if you have a store nearby, visit it, and get them to do it ;)

DixieRay
23-10-11, 20:22
I got the same laptop a D620 and I got the sim too I will try later and let you know

You only top up for calls

Yes you need software I will try dig it out and post here

thx silverfox, real kind of you i have the D630 but as far as I know its only the screen size that is different with the D620 the guts are the same it sounds like the best deal ever internet for a year for a fiver jackpot time i better get it ordered befoer they put a stop to it

DixieRay
23-10-11, 20:24
If ordering online, you will be charged £5 for the sim itself, and will need to apply a £10 topup.

I went in store, and asked at my local. They told me that I only needed to put a £5 topup, if that's all I wanted, and since it was a store, they supply the sim free of charge... So, my advice, if you have a store nearby, visit it, and get them to do it ;)

it gets better by the minute i will go along to my nearest tmobile store and get one over the counter

silverfox0786
23-10-11, 20:36
here is the drivers for mobile broadband on Dell Systems

i will add originally they where contracted to Vodafone so the branding will be vodafone but it should still work with T-mobile as long as you add the correct dial up settings

the main thing is this will allow you to activate the sim card drivers

DixieRay
22-02-12, 19:34
Does anyone know if the deal is still going for the tmobile sim for internet? i did not get round to buying one and its now got to the stage where i need to get my laptop up and running with mobile broadbasnd, are there any good options still available either with a dongol or a phone sim card that will go in my laptop sim card slot? also, how much internet time does the 500mb monthly allowance give you online, is it equal to 20 hours or more, no hebvy file downloads just general guff?

silverfox0786
22-02-12, 21:47
the origianl offer with tmobile is still available yes

its on their site

and it give 12 months free internet access

pooface
04-10-12, 15:19
Just a quick update to this thread if anyone has one of these sims. Mine was due to expire soon, so I wanted to get a new sim. Went in to town to pick one up. Went to first t-mobile shop, and they said that the offer expired a couple of days ago! Grrrr, so I went to another t-mobile store, less than 5 min walk away, and asked them. She asked where I saw the offer, where I'd slipped up a little. I said a friend had bought one a couple of days ago and told me about it. She explained that the offer had expired a couple of days ago, but wait a minute. She spoke to a colleague who up his phone, checked the web, and said that it was still showing online, so she can offer it. Basically, their manager had told them that because it's still showing online, they should honour it. So she went out back to pick it up. Gave her the £10 (last time I only needed a £5 top-up :( lol), and she put everything on the sim

Came back, checked phone, and had a text saying that the free Internet expire today! Put new sim in, and off it kicked straight away. Even better, they must've unlocked the adult lock, as I tried going to a few sites to kick off the unlock process, and there was no need. So, if anyone's is expiring soon, might be worth going in to pick one up whilst still showing online...