PDA

View Full Version : Help on new box/s

bjolly
18-08-11, 11:10
Hi all,

I think my stb is in need of replacement. I have an old TM5400 CI+ with 1m dish I subscribe to the main provider in the UK but I spend most of my time away (living in a B****y caravan Hhhmpphh) so I cannot get to see what I am paying for. My understanding is that I will need two new stb's to rectify this situation (Client/Server) or am I being thick.

I like the look of the Duo not sure if the solo is as well supported, and not sure if I can afford the costs.

Any help/advice would be appreciated

BJ

Larry-G
18-08-11, 11:20
we can help you in weighing up your options of receivers, we can help you set up your home receiver to work with your subscription but as per the rules of this site we can not help you share the card to any other receiver.

bjolly
18-08-11, 11:28
Pheonix,

Thanks for your quick response.

I understand and would very much like to have your opinions on which receiver you would recommend.

BJ

Larry-G
18-08-11, 11:31
well what exactly do you want from your receivers ?
such as do you for example want a receiver in your home that has dual tuners so than you can record one channel while watching another ? also do you want only a single tuner for the caravan ?.

as much detail as possible will help us to help you.

also for actually buying the equipment i would recommend our site sponsor

bjolly
18-08-11, 11:45
Ok,

Twin HD tuner at home giving me the options of recording whilst watching other channels , similar to my hd+ box which is connected to standard fixed dish. Single HD in the caravan connected to a motorised 1m dish.

I will of course like to purchase from the site sponsors if I can as that is what keeps these forums etc. alive.

Larry-G
18-08-11, 12:04
well you cant really go wrong with any of the models from either Vu or xtrend / clarke tech. obviously price will be a factor so you wont want to be buying the xt9000 for example. take a look at the xtrend 5000 quite a few staff and members here have these receivers and there very happy with them.

you could also take a loot at the qbox mini for the single tuner box although it's not as easy to setup as the dedicated open source linux boxes. no doubt some members will be along who have these receivers and can give you their experiences and recommendations etc.

bjolly
18-08-11, 17:59
Thank you for your help so far

BJ

Stanman
18-08-11, 18:42
For the house go for a ET9000 / DUO for the caravan an ET5000 will give you the most for your bucks, the reciever is very nippy and most importantly stable with the VIX image.

bjolly
18-08-11, 21:21
Hi all,

Thanks for your help, I have looked at all the options mentioned but,......I still keep coming back to the VU+ Duo ... as a starting point, would that be a bad idea ? waste of money ?

Larry-G
18-08-11, 21:24
the Duo is a fantastic receiver and you would not go wrong by making that your main receiver.

bjolly
18-08-11, 21:34
Thanks Pheonix

I may need some help setting it up etc. I may take it away with me to have a play......Not sure I could leave it at home with wife+son not using it ! and I have long evenings on my own....... there is only so much running/excercise you can do.

BJ

Larry-G
18-08-11, 21:43
we can help you set things up every step of the way baring the actual share between boxes as thats against the site rules.

bjolly
21-08-11, 18:37
Well,

Thanks to those who posted on this thread.

Thats it I have just ordered VU+ Duo from site sponsors - its a shame its only next day delivery !! I now can't wait...... still lots of reading to do and I am away until Wed night anyway.