PDA

View Full Version : Hidden data channels on channel list VIX image

mopatops
18-08-11, 07:05
Hi all,

I've taken delivery of a nice shiny ET9000 in the past week and have been impressed with everything i've seen so far. I'm using the latest VIX image and have managed to get my head around most things. One issue I seem to be having a problem with though is data channels. For some reason a lot of interactive channels (e.g. BBC streams on 28.2E) are categorised as data and don't appear in the channel list. I have downloaded a Dreambox editor program and am able to find the channels and change the category to TV (as mentioned in other threads) but I'm thinking there must be an option to display all channels on the ET9000 (including data).

I have a motorised dish connected to my ET9000 and have found these DATA channels all over the place, even though they are watchable when I've changed the category.

Any help would be appreciated, as I don't really want to keep having to load the lists into my PC every time I do a scan.

Thanks

Steve

silverfox0786
18-08-11, 07:37
sorry im not sure i get you here

my vix bouquets have data channels i never change them to TV and they work and show just fine

are you sure something is not amisss here

The Bishop
18-08-11, 07:54
I have noticed a similar thing to the O/P. If I scan 1W for free to air channels I will pick up around 200 in total in a scan. However, if I look at how many I have as TV (64) and radio (99) I am missing around 35 channels. I assumed they were actually data channels used for internet and other types of data traffic. Unlike the original poster I did not edit their status from data to TV so am not sure if they are viewable

The Bishop

mopatops
18-08-11, 17:01
Thanks for the quick replies.

As an example, when I scan 12441V 27500 2/3 on 28.2E the ET9000 it will display channels found as STREAM0, STREAM1 etc - the BBCi red button streams. When I look for these in the list on the box they're not there. Loading channels into DreamBoxEdit, they are there as category 130 (Data). If I change them to category 1 (TV) and upload list back to the box, they are then available in the list and can be viewed just like a normal channel. Looking through the channels downloaded on DreamBoxEdit, there are lots with category "130" and sure enough none of these appear on the ET9000 channel lists until they are changed to "1". Some of them are internet feeds, software update etc, but a lot of them are TV & Radio channels (mainly interactive channels or feeds I imagine but still viewable)

I was expecting to see something in the settings like "display data channels in list (Y/N)" or something similar.

It's not that difficult to load the lists into DreamBoxEdit and change the values, but obviously this needs a PC on hand, and when I'm searching around various satellites for feeds and new channels it's a pain to have to load them into DreamBoxEdit and upload them back to the box.#

Thanks again for your replies

Steve

The Bishop
18-08-11, 17:30
when I'm searching around various satellites for feeds and new channels it's a pain to have to load them into DreamBoxEdit and upload them back to the box....

The ET9000 is not that user friendly as a feed hunters box, particularly the 4 pass blind scan that is required to scan the full band for a satellite. The build quality, picture quality and other functionality is good, but for blind scan it sucks shit through the straw of sadness.

The Bishop

The Bishop
18-08-11, 18:14
I should add to my above post that it is not just the ET9000 that requires a 4 pass scan to blind scan the entire band on a satellite, it sems to be a common issue with other linux receivers. For all other operations the ET9000 is a very useful receiver.

The Bishop

mopatops
18-08-11, 20:32
when I'm searching around various satellites for feeds and new channels it's a pain to have to load them into DreamBoxEdit and upload them back to the box....

The ET9000 is not that user friendly as a feed hunters box, particularly the 4 pass blind scan that is required to scan the full band for a satellite. The build quality, picture quality and other functionality is good, but for blind scan it sucks shit through the straw of sadness.

The Bishop

Although I haven't used it much the blind scan does seem to work pretty well. The "Horizontal Vertical Upper Lower" passes could do with an option for "ALL" but for feed hunting it does work pretty well compared to what I have used in the past. The only problem I'm having is the hidden DATA channels as I said. Some feeds are listed as DATA so it looks like I will have to blindscan, then load it into DreamBoxEdit to see what it has found. Unless I am missing something. Hopefully I am ;)

The Bishop
18-08-11, 22:06
... The "Horizontal Vertical Upper Lower" passes could do with an option for "ALL" ...

If there was an option to scan ALL in one pass instead of the 4 passes for a blind scan then in my personal opinion the ET9000 would be the best receiver on the market today for the money. I do not know if it is an inherent linux issue or if the ViX or other image software could be written to provide an ALL scan option.

The Bishop

Larry-G
18-08-11, 22:26
this is the same amongst all images and all boxes using the enigma 2 operating system it has nothing what so ever to do with VIX or any other image team.

personally i think it works well but ive only been in this hobby for 23 years so what do i know.

silverfox0786
19-08-11, 00:42
ive only been in this hobby for 23 years so what do i know.

:roflmao:

BTW stream0 was a bad example its only on when a BBC Red Button stream is on

and thats the whole point of DATA channels

they need that DATA tag so that information can be sent to the channel at time of broadcast via the satellite

another example is SKY BOX OFFICE it is a DATA channel and only broadcasts when the proggies are on and booked

try this look at a BOX OFFICE Preview on any of teh SBO channels and you will see that they will clear [you do need a FTV card plugged in]