PDA

View Full Version : UK must allow satellite dishes

Larry-G
09-08-11, 04:41
There are many thousands of UK residents who – at least so far – have been forbidden to have satellite dishes because of restrictive covenants on their homes or apartments. People living in so called ‘conservation areas’ and listed buildings are particularly limited in what they may fix to their homes. Those restrictions may now have been deemed illegal by the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.

A test case (23883/06) where Swedish tenants were evicted because of their use of a satellite dish has been ruled as a violation of the applicant’s human rights under Article 10 (Freedom of Expression) in that they were not allowed to receive satellite signals. The Court ruling has effectively established that the possession and use of a satellite dish for the purposes of exercising one’s right to freedom of information is a human right.

The case, brought by Swedish tenants, has found in favour of the tenants – who are of Iraqi origin – and who had taken their government to court after being evicted by their landlord after installing a dish. The Court ordered that €13,950 be paid to the tenants as compensation.

Importantly, the ruling shows that even if the applicants were technically in breach of their tenancy, the right to information is superior to the landlord’s right to enforce the contract.

UK Housing Minister Grant Shapps said the decision could drive a ‘coach and horses’ through planning and similar legislation. The decision seems to rule that landlords – which includes local authorities – can no longer ban the use of satellite dishes.

http://www.advanced-television.com/index.php/2011/08/08/uk-must-allow-satellite-dishes/

pooface
09-08-11, 07:31
It's ridiculous the restrictive covenants! Even on new houses they have them saying u can only fit a dish up to 65cm and stuff! Ridiculous imo!

Sent with Tapatalk

digidude
09-08-11, 08:07
most new houses (like perssimon, barrat, etc) have a sort of clause in the contract, that for the first xx years, you can only have a dish to receive broadcasts from the countries official providors, and this has to be fitted on the side of the house away from the road, so for the UK, this is up to a 65cm dish (zone 1 and zone 2 dishes)

ive fitted dishes up to 1.1M on brand new houses, and from the front of the house, you wouldnt even know they had a dish

EU muppets intefering again. i live on the very edge of the brecon beacons national park, which is a HUGE conservation area, ive fitted a dish to a castle in this area thats hundreds of years old, craig-y-nos castle where they also film some of Dr Who (3 dishes in fact), and NOTHING can be seen

a dish doesnt have to stand out

silverfox0786
09-08-11, 12:06
i think its a dumb rule too

i remeber a few months back when i got my multisystem up

a council guy came over for an unrealated thing and saw my dish and asked bout it

i started explaining to him and also had a sky mini dish up too

i said to him my next dish is gonna be a motor but i ma take down the mini

he asked me why so i said the 2 dish rule

he looked at me laughed and said in his own words

and who the f**k takes any notice of that these days

pooface
09-08-11, 13:22
he looked at me laughed and said in his own words

and who the f**k takes any notice of that these days

Unfortunately, some very sad people who have nothing better to do! Some people don't want a satellite dish staring them in the face, so complain about it. Most councils don't care, some will just check that it's within the rules, and others will try anything to stop you from having it up...

silverfox0786
09-08-11, 13:28
Unfortunately, some very sad people who have nothing better to do! Some people don't want a satellite dish staring them in the face, so complain about it. Most councils don't care, some will just check that it's within the rules, and others will try anything to stop you from having it up...

yeah i agree thats the problem these days

like my dads house 16 years now and a 1.2m channel master still stands in plain view no one says anything

but i bet you if i was to put a channel master 1.2 in my garden my naughbours would try any thing and everything to get it removed