View Full Version : Fan Control

GiP
07-08-11, 14:54
Hi,

I noticed that my box is really hot when on standby, probably too hot as I sometimes I found the box with a wrong time or stopped or it missed some recordings.
I tried different settings of the fan control but I am not sure it made any difference. What is the suggested setting for the fan during the summer?
Outside temp is usually around 35C now and it will go higher probably...

Thanks,
GiP

Rob van der Does
09-08-11, 17:16
I hope you are using the correct plugin: there's only one working on the DUO. It's only capable of setting the fan to "Off" during standby, and to switch it to "On" during standby for certain periods.
If you feel unhappy: just set it to run the fan at all times. The only drawback is a bit of fan-noise during stand by.

GiP
09-08-11, 20:56
I hope you are using the correct plugin: there's only one working on the DUO. It's only capable of setting the fan to "Off" during standby, and to switch it to "On" during standby for certain periods.
If you feel unhappy: just set it to run the fan at all times. The only drawback is a bit of fan-noise during stand by.

I have no plugins loaded, I run a clean, out of the box VIX, but in the setup menu there is a Fan Control that does what you say, I think. It was set up on "Basic" but don't know what that does, I set it on timer with 20 on and 10 off and I'll see what it does, or what you mean is that it doesn't work and I need a plugin?
G

Rob van der Does
09-08-11, 21:54
No, you are using the right functionality.
20/10 means the behaviour during standby: that should be fine.
Otherwise set basic fan action to "On": that way the fan will always be active.

GiP
10-08-11, 00:08
Otherwise set basic fan action to "On": that way the fan will always be active.
The default setting was with Basic "on" and it didn't work, the box was REALLY hot when on standby and recording for a while. It seems better with the 20/10 but it it's still hotter than when the box is on. I wish there was a setting "on when recording".

G

Rob van der Does
10-08-11, 06:48
The default setting was with Basic "on" and it didn't work, the box was REALLY hot when on standby and recording for a while. It seems better with the 20/10 but it it's still hotter than when the box is on. I wish there was a setting "on when recording".There is. When the fan is "off" in standby, it will be activated when a recording is being made.
In other words: regardless of the settings: during a recording the fan will always work.

GiP
10-08-11, 14:34
There is. When the fan is "off" in standby, it will be activated when a recording is being made.
In other words: regardless of the settings: during a recording the fan will always work.

In this case there is something wrong with my box. it shouldn't be that hot! It seems to be just warmer than usual now with 20/10 so I'll keep it this way. maybe I'll open it and check what happens....

G

Rob van der Does
12-08-11, 09:21
In this case there is something wrong with my box. it shouldn't be that hot! It seems to be just warmer than usual now with 20/10 so I'll keep it this way. maybe I'll open it and check what happens....
Are you sure the fan is actually working? Do you hear it, can you feel it?
Normally a DUO is not hot at all, even hardly warm.

Sicilian
12-08-11, 09:30
Sponsor has genuine VU+ Duo spare fans if needed.

GiP
12-08-11, 11:22
Are you sure the fan is actually working? Do you hear it, can you feel it?
Normally a DUO is not hot at all, even hardly warm.

When the box is ON yes it's perfect not even warm, and now with the 20/10 setting it's just i little warmer when on stanby. It was really hot after a while on standby (and, I suppose, recording) when I had fan control in the default setting (Basic ON).

G