PDA

View Full Version : Signal Quality readings on VU+ Duo???

jacksiin1
07-08-11, 11:52
Hi All.

I am a bit concerned about the reception quality on my DUO as previously I have had both a Sly Digibox and S9 Openbox connected to a fixed 60
cm dish,quad lnb, both of which said that the signal quality was very high (70- 80%) however after connecting my VUO it varies between 39-50%. I thought that if anything the VUO should have improved on an already good SNR so is it possible I may have faulty tuners on my box. I even tried
connecting a 45 cm mini dish to receive Astra 19.2 via my open box and although the quality was low about 40% it still picked up a few hundred
channels however when connected it to my DUO and ran a automatic scan if found about 20 channels although none of them worked.
I cant believe a cheap a cheerful openbox has a more powerful tuner than the DUO.

Would really appreciate any thoughts etc?

Cheers
J

Alias1
07-08-11, 14:04
Both tuners do the same thing???

jacksiin1
07-08-11, 16:24
Both tuners do the same thing???

Not too sure as tried using Satfinder and it reports the following
Tuner 1
50-53% SNR
93% AGC
0 BER
Lock is ticked

Tuner 2
0% SNR
99% AGC
0 BER
Lock is not ticked

The thing is I have recorded and watch another channel both without any problems and the icon does say Tuner AB when doing this so cant believe
that tuner b is not working.....

jacksiin1
07-08-11, 16:28
Not too sure as tried using Satfinder and it reports the following
Tuner 1
50-53% SNR
93% AGC
0 BER
Lock is ticked

Tuner 2
0% SNR
99% AGC
0 BER
Lock is not ticked

The thing is I have recorded and watch another channel both without any problems and the icon does say Tuner AB when doing this so cant believe
that tuner b is not working.....

Just tried disabling tuner B and used SAtfinder on Tuner B and get
SNR 62%
AGC 89%
BER 0
Lock is ticked

So it seems both tuners are ok I was using a Disq switch before(which is now disconnected) so I wonder if this was causing some signal loss??

Huevos
11-08-11, 15:52
You just need to learn what SNR is good, because those figures don't relate to quality figures on other receivers (although they do track very similar to SNR on Dreamboxes).

The level of SNR where pixelization starts is based on FEC. The following SNR's are just above the pixelization point for the Vu+ Duo:

1/2 FEC -> 16% SNR
2/3 FEC -> 25% SNR
3/4 FEC -> 32% SNR
5/6 FEC -> 40% SNR

jacksiin1
12-08-11, 14:04
I did try using other images such as Blackhole etc and when I ran a scan it did pick up more channels but still only 175 compared to my
Openbox that when I run a scan using the same dish,cables, connectors etc it finds about 1200 channels and the reception is good on about 75% ofthose channels. Someone on another forum suggested the problem is that as I am using below the minimum recommendation dish size to receive ASTRA 19.2 (45cm mini dish) that the Duo just does not like the weak signals and therefore ignores the majority of the scan. I guess I could try connecting it to my 60cm dish and re-aligning to ASTRA 19.2 but seems an awful lot of work for something that does indeed work just not on the Vu Duo.
I still cant get my head round the fact that a receiver that costs about £50 quid is better at picking up channels on a below spec dish than a £350+ box.
I think I will park this for now unless anyone else has any other ideas........

Huevos
12-08-11, 14:41
The tuner in the Vu+ Duo is far superior to the Openbox, unless your one is a lemon. I got 1337 channels last time I scanned 19.2şE.

To which satellite is the minidish aligned? Is it motorised or static? Are there any switches inline?

jacksiin1
12-08-11, 15:57
The minidish is aligned with 19.2 and when connected,the openbox reports a SNR reading of 75% for about 50% of the 1200 channels found whereas the VU reports signal strength of about 5-10% for the few radio/tv channels it does find so I get no picture at all only audio for 1 or 2 radio stations
If have tried factory resetting the box and setting it up as a single tuner then scanning Astra 19.2 and still get poor results, have tried this approach
for both tuner a and b only because this fixed a similar issue on another forum. This setup is all static with currently no Disq or other switches
involved.

You mention you get 1337 channels your end but I doubt this is on a 45 cm minidish or is it???? I don't believe I have a faulty tuner/s because I get
good results via my 60cm dish on both tuners with 28.2.....

jacksiin1
12-08-11, 19:23
FINALLY PROGRESS AT LAST!............Ok guys here's the thing I can now pick up some channels ONLY if I manually scan one transponder at a time and ensuring the that system type is always at DVB-S not DVBS2 which always finds nothing. I really dont want to have to manually enter all these
details and to be honest why should I....Can someone explain why a manual scan of the satellite picks up almost nothing as well as the automatic scan however manually entering the transponder one by one will probably give me about 1200 channels in line with my Openbox.....