PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is Feed hunting

profixit
05-08-11, 19:08
Hi, What is feed hunting and what does it involve.

I asked someone once about Blind scan/search is it a necessary feature, he said "only really affects feed hunters"

Stanman
05-08-11, 19:13
Feed hunters are exactly that people looking for transmission that arent in the EPG hence why you need a blindscan enabled box, probably more to it than this but thats what i think feedhunting is

silverfox0786
05-08-11, 19:16
yeah thats pretty much it

my dad is a feed hunter but he does it the old fashioned way via satcodx and wotsat mag

manually feeding in all the transponders and seeing what he can get

Alanp
05-08-11, 20:04
So how many channels would you say you might find

Larry-G
05-08-11, 20:17
So how many channels would you say you might find

the channels you find might only be visible for the duration of one programme then closed down again until needed. most feeds are where a programme is beamed from say America to here ( satellite to satellite ), those kinds of feeds tend to be encrypted though. saying that there were a lot of feeds intercepted from American drones during the Iraqi war.

The Bishop
16-08-11, 20:18
Enthusiastic feed hunters will have a motorised dish and probably a couple of receivers as tools for feed hunting. Not all feeds are free to air and there can be several types of encryption found when scanning for feeds, namely, 4.2.2, 4.2.2HD, BISS and RAS. All of them can be decoded with standard off the shelf receivers apart from the RAS feeds which require a professional level decoder plus the 7 digit RAS code.

In addition, inclined orbit tracking is also sometimes used by feed hunters as broadcasters have a habit of using the cheaper bandwidth available from inclined orbit satellites. In addition to any encryption used, broadcasting from inclined orbit satellites makes it more difficult to view the feed.

There is an obvious motive behind some of the feed hunters desire to view the feeds, some of these feeds may be several seconds ahead of what is being broadcast "live" into consumer homes so the feed hunter might see a goal at a football match well before the Sky customer at home. This can only be used to advantage however if the Betfair suspension of the live betting market is slower than the latency advantage the feed hunter has. Darts and tennis are other favoured sports for the feed hunter with 180's bouncing into the treble 20 seconds ahead of it "live" on TV.

Other feed hunters just do it for the pastime and fun of it.

The Bishop

basilyoung
16-08-11, 20:24
Classy post Mr "The Bishop"

thank you

fizza
24-12-11, 16:20
good post and great reading

kegrka
21-02-12, 21:41
I remember watching an Eurythmic's concert one friday nite which went out "Live" on channel 4" saturday. and thing like he Olympic games go out with out the comentry just track side audio, thing about feeds is you often get reporters or in the case of the concert sound checks etc being practiced all for like stated above a few seconds report , I use to just locate sats and scan them sometimes you'd get a test card sometimes these gave you a new freq to try ,must admit not had a go for 5-6 years now so my knowledge is well dated ,but a setup capable of seeing some not so much used sats tv that is is required 7e. 21w .18w etc :p