PDA

View Full Version : Dwindling number of services?

Conaxthewarrior
04-08-11, 20:14
Hello lads,
After moving to a new place 7km (3½miles) away, I've now set up my 110cm parabol and motor etc.
This new place faces east and there's masses of clear, empty sky, meaning line of sight satellite reception from 45E to 30W.(Reception from other sats after 30W is possible but transponder SNR fluctuates wildly giving weak signals.)

After going through all the sats, I've recieved 99 services from Hispasat 30W whereas before, at my old place, I could recieve 210. Telstar 12 at 15W has 9 where before there was at least 20...it's only the "major" sats eg 28E; 19.2E and 13E that retain their mutitude of services, with the SNR at a good 90%.

I've repositioned the parabol as much left as possible to face the W sats but with the same result......it seems the numer of services west side have reduced drastically since february 2011 when I last recieved satellite tv.

At my old place, there was even less clear sky than here and cut off was at Hellas sat at 39E...yet I counted 2500+ services in total, many more west side than at present.

Does anyone have a clue why this is? I live in Vejle Denmark but the latitude should'nt be so much different than around the Newcastle area with respect to satelite reception, I would have thought.

If I could ask one more enquiry of you all, at 28E, the freesat info music (11428H 27500 2/3) seems rough, resembling a bad recording - too much bass etc, has anyone the same bad sound reception as me?
Many thanks,
Conax

basilyoung
04-08-11, 21:34
have you checked the lnb?,....thats a lot of lost channels, or could it be that you are slightly off arc

regards to the 28e music channel, that could be sig strength problem as well

Conaxthewarrior
12-08-11, 18:40
Thanks basilyoung but the reason can't be that the parabol is slightly off arc as I've just been out & measured the vertical at 89.5 degs, well within the motor's "ok" parameters, thats to say all satellites are "hit" from 53e to 43W. (After 43w, lyngsat maps shows a minimum og 180cm dishes required for reception, so I understand satellites after 43w would lie in the "cut off zone" for my area.