PDA

View Full Version : What sections would YOU like to see added to the forums?

Sicilian
17-06-10, 11:33
I'm starting this topic as I'd like to get feedback from members as to what sections they would like added to the forums.

Remember its us, the members that make this community. So please post what sections YOU would like to see added. Wither its a PC section or iPhone section or even a daily quiz! Please post and ask here. Now I'm not promising all the suggestions will be added but ALL suggestions WILL be considered.

Thanks.

Sic.

sacha35
17-06-10, 17:31
A pc section would be great to have, with subsections contained (I.E) problems, networks, hardware and General chat.

On a side note could we have a section dedicated to what certain bits of software are intended for and what they do, (I.E) sat angels - ECT

mrgee
17-06-10, 20:20
A Tutorial/FAQ section for each receiver would be a good idea. The sticky list on VU+ Duo discussion is getting quite big now! :)

Ojustaboo
18-06-10, 14:47
There's nothing that stands out as obviously missing in my opinion.

A possible addition might be for more sub sections under the VUduo section. As it is, we have 1/2 of each page taken up by all the stickies.

Not sure of the best way of doing this, maybe a sub section to discuss plug-ins, one to discuss images, one to discuss streaming to and from media servers etc?

afly
24-06-10, 18:20
Having used this forum from the start, I can attest to the fact thats it great for getting up and running and getting up to speed. I think there could be more info on some of the more advanced uses.

Plugins for example. Its often not clear what they do or how they work. (and google searching often gives me downloads or german!)
A definitive guide on Images, what they are, the choices available, strengths, weaknesses, screenies etc
Multi booting, how, why? What is Barry Allen? Why should i use that and not other options? etc etc
Skins, with screenies and images supported

This is all community stuff and believe me, if my GF didnt blow a gasket everytime i mess with the box I'd be all over it, installing everything i could get my hands on

How you would keep all that organised though im not sure. More sub-sectioning i guess, or more stickies!!

Top level sections wise, I think youve got it all covered

hummer66
25-06-10, 13:06
a newsgroups section to help newme's get started with readers, par's nzb & browsers
like the help you gave me sic helped me bigtime :cool:

Sicilian
30-07-10, 09:21
Omg forgot about this :o

Right so far we have: -

Computer Discussion - With the following sections: -

General PC Discussion
Networking
Windows software and Operating Systems
Linux Software and Operating Systems
Hardware

Newsgroups Discussion - With the following sections: -

General Newsgroup Discussion
Newsgroup Server Discussion
Newsgroup Software Downloads.
Think we'll refrain from posting actual nzb's at the moment though.

VU+ Sections will look at moving all the Sickies into a Tutorial and F.A.Q's subsection.

Any other sections wanted? How about some sport sections? Bargains section? Daily Deals etc..

Come on guys this is for the whole community so please post your suggestions :)

hashman
30-07-10, 14:13
i'm guessing a CAM section is out of the question (different cam's i.e ccccam, newcs, etc)
and pushing the suggesting further, a sharing section is totally out of question, isnt it ? :)

Sicilian
30-07-10, 14:18
i'm guessing a CAM section is out of the question (different cam's i.e ccccam, newcs, etc)
and pushing the suggesting further, a sharing section is totally out of question, isnt it ? :)

Sharing section is a No, sorry.

I'll think about setting up a General Cam discussion section though.

basilyoung
30-07-10, 14:25
A RANT / rip off warning room??

baz

pooface
30-07-10, 21:07
Also, in the computer section, how about 1 for us maccies ;)

Sicilian
01-08-10, 14:27
:sweating: Loads of new sections just added, now fill them up! :D

Sicilian
10-08-10, 07:39
No one has asked for a Developer section. Anyone here interested in a VU+ Receivers developer section? Any budding image makes out there?

bobonthejob
10-08-10, 08:38
What do you guys think of having a Developers sections for the Vu Duo.. ?

No one has even thought of that one... :D

silverfox0786
27-10-10, 22:05
hey i know this thread is old but i would like to revive it and i was thinking on the lines of developer as above but a bit diff a section for plugins made by users would be good. i know you have tools and settings etc and misc burt trying to find a lugin seen before becomes hard to find so a section for plugins be it user made or team made if they are in one place that would be good. [yes i know they can be downloaded from repos but some are new or as i mentioned user made] justa thought

oh an also a sat news section would be good as its hard to determin where to put new events and news [at mo it goes in general disccusion and that really doesnt suit it]

silverfox0786
13-11-10, 14:35
Hi Sic just one more mention for addition would be either a DM800se section or the DM800HD section coverted to be for both for eg with a slach

DM800HD/se

maybe like that ??

irishchris
13-11-10, 14:40
yes sat news section would be great. similar to satpimps if possible would be great addition.
cheers sic

Sicilian
16-11-10, 16:25
Hi Sic just one more mention for addition would be either a DM800se section or the DM800HD section coverted to be for both for eg with a slach

DM800HD/se

maybe like that ??

yes sat news section would be great. similar to satpimps if possible would be great addition.
cheers sic

I'll get these sections added soon ;)

Alanp
17-11-10, 19:15
How to / Tutorial sometimes things are hard to find

silverfox0786
21-11-10, 18:09
i have a suggestion where at the top you have newest members hottest threads and most recent post

maybe we can move newest members and instead put most common threads ie the best 10 threads for helping newbies. like the current stickies but choising 10 to get a noob completely started without too much search or question asking

i know you have hottest threads but the prob with that it is dictated by how many posts are made. still good to have but a best help threads would be good inplace of the newest members and have newest members at the bottom of page

Maxwell
21-11-10, 18:34
How to / Tutorial sometimes things are hard to find

This is being worked on at the moment and will be done soon.

Sicilian
22-11-10, 14:46
i have a suggestion where at the top you have newest members hottest threads and most recent post

maybe we can move newest members and instead put most common threads ie the best 10 threads for helping newbies. like the current stickies but choising 10 to get a noob completely started without too much search or question asking

i know you have hottest threads but the prob with that it is dictated by how many posts are made. still good to have but a best help threads would be good inplace of the newest members and have newest members at the bottom of page

I've just changed the stats panel to Most Viewed Threads > Hottest Threads > Newest Replies.

The only options available to me are those in the three drop down menus. Let me know what you think.

silverfox0786
22-11-10, 15:18
Thanks sic it will have to do as i looked at the drop down infact i didnt even need to ask you to do it i had to manually go to the drop down and put it on most veiwed

Thanks

Sicilian
22-11-10, 15:22
I'm afraid the options in the stats panel are a bit limited.

silverfox0786
22-11-10, 17:34
Sorry Sic prob winding you up now i have noticed that when i make a post it automatically goes into my subscribed threads and i get updates on it every time a post is made unless i manually delete the threads and considering my post count in a day thats a lot and it really congests my emails. is there a way of changing this so posts and threads are not auto added to subscribe. or is it a setting in my control panel that i need to change as i cant find it

Thanks

Larry-G
22-11-10, 17:44
Sorry Sic prob winding you up now i have noticed that when i make a post it automatically goes into my subscribed threads and i get updates on it every time a post is made unless i manually delete the threads and considering my post count in a day thats a lot and it really congests my emails. is there a way of changing this so posts and threads are not auto added to subscribe. or is it a setting in my control panel that i need to change as i cant find it

Thanks

thats easily rectified mate.
when logged in to your account go here

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/profile.php?do=editoptions
now scroll down till you see the heading
Default Thread Subscription Mode:
you should see a dropdown menu bar. just change it to
Do not subscribe
then scroll to the bottom of the page and click
Save changes

silverfox0786
22-11-10, 17:46
Thanks mate done it was that simple feel like a cluts :lol3:

Sicilian
22-11-10, 17:48

Thanks

Thanks for pointing that out m8. Does this happen for others too? I can send a command through vbulletin so that everyone is not set to auto subscribe.

Larry-G
22-11-10, 17:55
Thanks mate done it was that simple feel like a cluts :lol3:

no worries mate. i know my way round the innards of a VB forum. iv'e moderated enough of them over the years.

Thanks for pointing that out m8. Does this happen for others too? I can send a command through vbulletin so that everyone is not set to auto subscribe.

nope. mine was automaticly set to Do not subscribe. although i do usually go through thye options and change it to that any way regardless. as like silverfox i tend to be a bit of a post whore and would be very quickly overwhelmed by emails if i did not.

silverfox0786
25-11-10, 18:32
THANKS Sic i love the RSS feeds option you added i use RSS alot made my day you have

BTW what happened to the shoutbox its gone on my page

Sicilian
26-11-10, 12:40
THANKS Sic i love the RSS feeds option you added i use RSS alot made my day you have

BTW what happened to the shoutbox its gone on my page

Shoutbox should be back for you ;)

silverfox0786
29-11-10, 18:44
HI Sic sorry to be a nuisance but i cant see the donation bar at the top of page

and there is no donate button after the itrader button

Sicilian
29-11-10, 20:31
HI Sic sorry to be a nuisance but i cant see the donation bar at the top of page

and there is no donate button after the itrader button

Should be fixed now ;)

Thanks for letting me know.

silverfox0786
29-11-10, 20:42
Still a problem may be a case of updating my rights but clicking the donate button i get this

The administrator has disabled viewing of this page for your member group. If you feel this is a mistake please PM an administrator and let them know.

and i still cant see the donation progress bar

bassethound
29-11-10, 20:47
Every thing working good for me silverfox0786 can see the donations list

Sicilian
29-11-10, 20:49
Still a problem may be a case of updating my rights but clicking the donate button i get this

The administrator has disabled viewing of this page for your member group. If you feel this is a mistake please PM an administrator and let them know.

and i still cant see the donation progress bar

Check now. Missed a few permissions.

silverfox0786
29-11-10, 20:52
Yep all Back Thanks

silverfox0786
01-12-10, 16:58
me again the annoying one

is it possible to get a drop down tap at the top right hand where you can go straight to subsribed threads as going to your profile is a bit long winded in my opinion

Sicilian
01-12-10, 17:10
me again the annoying one

is it possible to get a drop down tap at the top right hand where you can go straight to subsribed threads as going to your profile is a bit long winded in my opinion

Menu bar up top, under Quick Links you should see Subscribed threads.

silverfox0786
01-12-10, 17:13
Menu bar up top, under Quick Links you should see Subscribed threads.

as homer simpson would say 'DOH' i see it Sic thanks

silverfox0786
21-12-10, 00:13
me again

Sic is it possible to get the category sub heading Forum Rules and Info put into the quick links makes it easier to navigate to

jjp2701
02-01-11, 14:03
i think dm800hd clone sections should be added to the forum, before people start saying that the forum doesnt support, clones, then what is the blade media boxes, blade media 500s, sounds like a dm500s clone, and the other one that media hd version, sounds like a spiderbox, so it is only fair for thee dm800hd clone to be supported on here too, alot of people are using them now, so i think the forum would benifit for it as well, i know alot of people are going to say, clone this clone that, but they are alot cheaper than original boxes, and people should be alowed to sell them in the for sale part, just my opinion, that is

silverfox0786
02-01-11, 14:08
i think dm800hd clone sections should be added to the forum, before people start saying that the forum doesnt support, clones, then what is the blade media boxes, blade media 500s, sounds like a dm500s clone, and the other one that media hd version, sounds like a spiderbox, so it is only fair for thee dm800hd clone to be supported on here too, alot of people are using them now, so i think the forum would benifit for it as well, i know alot of people are going to say, clone this clone that, but they are alot cheaper than original boxes, and people should be alowed to sell them in the for sale part, just my opinion, that is

the dm 800hd section has clone and genuine talk in it and the images posted are mixed so a seperate section is not really needed

personally i stay away from clones myself but ppl have them and we give help for them like any other box

also blade media is blade media its self it using it own hardware and its own name the fact it works like a clone dm500 does not make it a clone dm500

and looking at it i would say it works and functions and performs more like a genuine dm500

Larry-G
02-01-11, 14:14
i think dm800hd clone sections should be added to the forum, before people start saying that the forum doesnt support, clones, then what is the blade media boxes, blade media 500s, sounds like a dm500s clone, and the other one that media hd version, sounds like a spiderbox, so it is only fair for thee dm800hd clone to be supported on here too, alot of people are using them now, so i think the forum would benifit for it as well, i know alot of people are going to say, clone this clone that, but they are alot cheaper than original boxes, and people should be allowed to sell them in the for sale part, just my opinion, that is

blade media is a recognised trade mark as it technomate as is eagle linux, all of which have boxes loosely based on the DM500. note how i said based and not cloned. there is a massive difference between a box that is based on another but traded legally under it's own trade mark. the DM800 clones however are just that dodgy Chinese clones and in my opinion they dont deserve the time of day or to be listed within the same sentence as the boxes i mentioned earlier.

jjp2701
02-01-11, 14:52
i disagree with you there phoenix, i think, the dm800hd clones,of which i know, alot of people are using them without problems, and dont forget alot of original boxes are made in china, alot, nearly all forums have sections for these boxes, and are doing very well with that section on them forums,you personally might not like them, but i dont owne one personally, i have the vu+duo, and a trusty old eagle box, the eagle box is a clone of the dm500s and is a very strong clone too, from china, the same as the spiderbox, straight from china too,its ike the tm800hd box, what aload of rubbish they have been, no support hardly untill now, now the dm800hd clone is well supported with alot of image teams

Sicilian
02-01-11, 14:58

We already have DM800 section, members can talk about their clones there is they so wish. We are not creating sections specifically for Dreambox clones, sorry.

jjp2701
02-01-11, 15:00
does that mean we can speak about clones in that section sic m8

Sicilian
02-01-11, 15:02
does that mean we can speak about clones in that section sic m8

Thats fine by me, I've not set any rules against this ;)

Larry-G
02-01-11, 15:04
i disagree with you there phoenix, i think, the dm800hd clones,of which i know, alot of people are using them without problems, and dont forget alot of original boxes are made in china, alot, nearly all forums have sections for these boxes, and are doing very well with that section on them forums,you personally might not like them, but i dont owne one personally, i have the vu+duo, and a trusty old eagle box, the eagle box is a clone of the dm500s and is a very strong clone too, from china, the same as the spiderbox, straight from china too,its ike the tm800hd box, what aload of rubbish they have been, no support hardly untill now, now the dm800hd clone is well supported with alot of image teams

i'm not going to argue with you but i can see at least one contradiction in that post alone.

i'll put it simply. yes i personally dont like clones thats my opinion but i would not stop any one buying or discussing them here. i would however strongly disagree that blade media and the spiderbox are clones of dreamboxes as they are traded under their own trade marks and believe me if DMM believed them to be clones theres no way they would permit them to be traded legally.
as has already been pointed out by a member of staff and the sites owner. there is a generic DM800 section on this site within that section you are free to discuss clones and original boxes as much as you like. creating a section specifically for clones would be in my opinion a total waste of time.

as for the eagle linux box yes using it as a reference point may have been a error on my part but the others were certainly not.

jjp2701
02-01-11, 15:07
thanks for the replys phoenix, and sic, not arguing just asking for a section,but talking about them in the dm800hd section, then thats fine, so people know, alot of people wouldnt know weatjer they were aloud thats all, but this has just cleared it up, thanks to both of you for your answers

franky62
09-01-11, 17:17
there is no section on POD for VU+ DUO
no files

Larry-G
09-01-11, 17:19
there is no section on POD for VU+ DUO
no files

yes so weve seen you say in 4 separate posts today. be patient making multiple threads about the exact same thing wont get you any where.

silverfox0786
09-02-11, 16:46
Hi Sic considering WOS is becomming quite well used and excellent service how about a feedback section for forum sponser for us to leave feedback for him

supathug
11-03-11, 13:32
Hey Sic,

Can we get an AV and home cinema discussion section put up here to discuss things such as amps, TV. blu-ray etc? I figure its something we all have a common interest in seeing as most of our DUOs, DMM boxes etc will be part of a home cinema section. Just a thought.....

Blu-ray
11-03-11, 17:44
Hi Sic, What about VIDEO HELP, short video clips on some subjects like using DCC/Filezilla for transfering bouquets, updating satellite xlm files ect ect, there are a lot of new members still asking what are bouquets/ picons sometimes a short video like on YOUTUBE on how can help.

Sicilian
11-03-11, 17:57
Hey Sic,

Can we get an AV and home cinema discussion section put up here to discuss things such as amps, TV. blu-ray etc? I figure its something we all have a common interest in seeing as most of our DUOs, DMM boxes etc will be part of a home cinema section. Just a thought.....

Good idea, I'll get these up over the weekend.

Hi Sic, What about VIDEO HELP, short video clips on some subjects like using DCC/Filezilla for transfering bouquets, updating satellite xlm files ect ect, there are a lot of new members still asking what are bouquets/ picons sometimes a short video like on YOUTUBE on how can help.

Yes great if someone was to prepare some video's :)

Maxwell
11-03-11, 20:16
What about an Android section ?

Sicilian
12-03-11, 08:48

How about some other mobile phone sections too, say Android and Iphone and other 3G mobiles?

Sicilian
12-03-11, 08:56
For A/V Section I'm going to setup as follows: -

Home Entertainment Discussion

With the following sub-sections: -

All in one systems
AV Amplifiers and Receivers
Blu-Ray and DVD Players
HiFi Systems
Media Players and Network Media-Players
Multi-functions remote controls
Plasma TV and LCD TV
Speakers

This ok guys?

punisher
13-03-11, 10:42
could you not add vb arcade so we have arcade games to play for maybe use a points system to allow so many posts a day to play or gamble points etc, miss playin pacman on the forums :p

Larry-G
13-03-11, 11:27
How about some other mobile phone sections too, say Android and Iphone and other 3G mobiles?

yeah that may work well on this site. i my self worked on phones for ten years ( unlocking / flashing / repairs ) etc etc etc, although it's been a couple of years since i dabbled.

irishchris
13-03-11, 12:29

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Excellent idea. Now that I have finally got one ;)

Stanman
13-03-11, 12:30
Chris how is taptalk on the HTC, is it better than just browsing through the browser?

Maxwell
13-03-11, 13:03

All in one systems
Blu-Ray and DVD Players
HiFi Systems
Plasma TV and LCD TV
Speakers

This ok guys?

Think you should also have Projection Systems

Larry-G
13-03-11, 13:06
Chris how is taptalk on the HTC, is it better than just browsing through the browser?

its a lot better mate, its specifically written for using forums via the handset.

Sicilian
19-03-11, 07:52

All in one systems
Blu-Ray and DVD Players
HiFi Systems
Plasma TV and LCD TV
Speakers

This ok guys?

Think you should also have Projection Systems

Sections added :)

jjp2701
12-04-11, 09:36
i think a sport section, it would be good for members to see what sat channels the sports are on, and sport news section, and other things like who do u think will win a match against each other in football games, what do you think people ?

punisher
12-04-11, 09:45
Yeh im up for that suggestion too

irishchris
12-04-11, 14:51
i think a sport section, it would be good for members to see what sat channels the sports are on, and sport news section, and other things like who do u think will win a match against each other in football games, what do you think people ?

+1 here on that suggestion

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Sicilian
12-04-11, 17:06
What sports sections would you guys like? Football, F1, golf?

punisher
12-04-11, 17:11
stick it all as one for now and then as it grows, you can categorise the ones that are talked about. i think you'll get a better idea that way and saves having empty forums and some full ones

Larry-G
12-04-11, 17:51

i dont think theres really need for a full section dedicated to sport on satellite. maybe just add a sub section so people can post up matches etc but a full blown section is over kill in my opinion.

stick it all as one for now and then as it grows, you can categorise the ones that are talked about. i think you'll get a better idea that way and saves having empty forums and some full ones

precisely my opinion. otherwise we will end up with quite a few dead sections with little to no interest. this way we know what we need to cater for.

jjp2701
12-04-11, 18:12
football, motor racing, rugby, cricket, boxing

Sicilian
14-04-11, 11:32
Anybody want Mobile phone or Games consoles sections?

silverfox0786
15-04-11, 01:06
yeah i asked for a movies and games review section ages ago

punisher
15-04-11, 07:45
yes mate get a 360 section up there and iphone :p

Sicilian
15-04-11, 09:38
I think what I'm going to do is re-name 'The Home Entertainment Section' to 'The Technology Center', there I will add all the consoles, mobile phones secions. I'll also add a PC Gaming room to the computer section :)

Stanman
15-04-11, 09:43
Its Centre not center, your not in South Dakota:p:D

Sicilian
15-04-11, 09:51
Its Centre not center, your not in South Dakota:p:D

Just making sure that peeps are paying attention :p :o

silverfox0786
15-04-11, 20:23
if we got a pc games section can we get a WAN games link where we can neat crap out of each other

thats only if server can hack it

VUplus nl you gonna join in :lol3:

Stanman
15-04-11, 20:25
Any here play command and conquer?

punisher
15-04-11, 20:46
yeh love the dam game, been addicted to it since the first one came out lol Red Alert wo0ot wo0ot

Stanman
16-04-11, 08:11
on RA2 online had a won / loss ratio of 99% mind you played modded infantry maps