Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asus N66 discussion

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    Cheapest solution: Find out if the router supports bridge mode, if not consider putting the new router in a DMZ (if the EE router supports it), other methods could lead to double NAT issues which may or may not be a problem for you.
    I have a modem in front of my Asus RT-N66U.
    It's on network 192.168.2.x, and sets the Asus (which is 192.168.2.2 on that connexion, but 192.168.1.1 to the rest of my home network) as its DMZ.
    NATs not an issue - the Asus handles it all, the Billion modem just passes things back and forth.
    Last edited by birdman; 18-10-16 at 15:20.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

2. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

dfox (18-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Just to be clear - if you have a modem in bridge mode in front of your home router, then it is not NAT'ing anything, nor is your router in a DMZ. A modem in bridge mode is a transparent connection to your ISP. Your router will be handling all NAT functions and firewalling etc. The modem is doing nothing other than giving your router a WAN connection.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    Just to be clear - if you have a modem in bridge mode in front of your home router, then it is not NAT'ing anything, nor is your router in a DMZ. A modem in bridge mode is a transparent connection to your ISP. Your router will be handling all NAT functions and firewalling etc. The modem is doing nothing other than giving your router a WAN connection.
    Yes, this is all I will be trying to achieve with the setup for the minute.

Just waiting on the Asus turning up then I can look at putting the ISP router into bridge mode. Somehow.

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    I just wanted to be clear that your internet security is in your own hands once you put the ISP modem into bridge mode. What is the make and model of the modem?
    When I got the Vodafone fibre modem almost three years ago the bridge function was hidden but after a lot of feedback from customers they issued a firmware update which enabled the function. What the ISP won't do is provide any support once you put the device into bridged mode as all the routing etc. is your responsibility.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Just out of (my) curiosity - does such a bridged modem have an IP address of its own, so that you may actually connect to it to configure it? I assume it does (since if it doesn't you can't talk to it at all...), but wasn't sure - which is why I left mine unbridged.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I just wanted to be clear that your internet security is in your own hands once you put the ISP modem into bridge mode. What is the make and model of the modem?
    When I got the Vodafone fibre modem almost three years ago the bridge function was hidden but after a lot of feedback from customers they issued a firmware update which enabled the function. What the ISP won't do is provide any support once you put the device into bridged mode as all the routing etc. is your responsibility.
    Ok I see, So I will have to enable all security features on the Asus etc.

I will post make and model when I get in.

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Just out of (my) curiosity - does such a bridged modem have an IP address of its own, so that you may actually connect to it to configure it? I assume it does (since if it doesn't you can't talk to it at all...), but wasn't sure - which is why I left mine unbridged.
    Yes it does. My (bridged) modem has an address range of 192.168.1.x so if you plug directly into it from your PC you can access the management web server on 192.168.1.1 and configure it from there. With my TP-link router in place my LAN is on 192.168.0.x so I can't link to the ISP modem management web page through it, needs a direct connection. Works well for me, no issues. The TP-Link router has much better wifi coverage in the house, has 1Gb/s ethernet ports and the firmware is Open WRT so I feel a bit more in control of the LAN environment (pauses to adjust tin-foil hat).

Title
    Thanks
    Yes it does. My (bridged) modem has an address range of 192.168.1.x so if you plug directly into it from your PC you can access the management web server on 192.168.1.1 and configure it from there. With my TP-link router in place my LAN is on 192.168.0.x so I can't link to the ISP modem management web page through it
    Just adding a route on your TP-link to 192.168.0.x over the WAN interface should work, then...

Title
    Thanks
    The TP-Link router has much better wifi coverage in the house, has 1Gb/s ethernet ports...
    as does the Asus RT-N66U.
    It also allows you to run a little Linux server (command line access...). So I do...
    Not documented by Asus anywhere, but easy to set-up.
    I even have a Fortran complier for mine (although I did have to build that in an VirtualBox copy of the set-up to get enough memory).

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    fat-tony, make of modem just says bright box (R) wireless router. Doesn't say model number or anything. I'll have to login to it and see if it displays anything else.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks
    I did a bit of a google but there doesn't seem to be a big (or good) community of users who have modded or hacked this EE modem/router, but you may be able to search more precisely once you have the details on the model etc. Here in Ireland, the community on boards dot ie swung into action once Vodafone had released their Huawei modem and eircom had released the Zyxel modem for fibre use and very soon we had hacks for getting into bridged mode or tweaking QoS or bypassing the port forwarding restrictions.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

dfox (20-10-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I did a bit of a google but there doesn't seem to be a big (or good) community of users who have modded or hacked this EE modem/router, but you may be able to search more precisely once you have the details on the model etc. Here in Ireland, the community on boards dot ie swung into action once Vodafone had released their Huawei modem and eircom had released the Zyxel modem for fibre use and very soon we had hacks for getting into bridged mode or tweaking QoS or bypassing the port forwarding restrictions.
    Ok seems a lot of faffing around with this EE Brightbox just to use it as a modem.

Could I use this as the modem instead and take out the ISP supplied router altogether?

BT OpenReach Model B-FOCuS V-2FUb/r Rev.B

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Just to add my configuration if i can remember it:

VM SH3 in modem mode, ip 192.168.0.1, Wan out to...

Asus AC87U ip address 192.168.1.1 using isp dns settings, then lan into wan on

Asus AC68U ip address 192.168.2.1 using smart dns settings / vpn

Computer connected to AC87U can connect to modem by typing http://192.168.100.1 (the http:// is needed if using IE)

Computer connected to AC87U can connect to AC68U router settings by typing http://192.168.1.122:xx (.122 is the static address i assigned the AC68U in the AC87U router devices list, xx is the port number i chose to access the AC68U settings page in it's own settings page.

Computer connected to AC87U can access device connected to AC68U by typing http://192.168.1.122:xx (followed by a port number that is set in the AC68U's port forwarding page, you can set different ports to access different features such as ftp, telnet webif etc on that particular device)

A device connected to AC68U can access modem, AC87U and anything connected to them by typing in their default address.

Accessing the AC68U from a device connected to it requires 192.168.2.1, everything connected to this router will have an ip address of 192.168.2.xxx.

I have wireless set up on both Asus routers, restricted to low end channels on one router and high end channels on the other so there is no interference, this enables me to jump in and out of vpn access on tablets and smart phones.
    Last edited by DaMacFunkin; 20-10-16 at 10:02.
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Ok, just waiting on EE coming back to me to hopefully confirm how to use it as modem but have a feeling they will say something along the lines of:

"if you switch the router to Fibre Type then you can select a Bridging Protocol, but this option is not available to ADSL. Whether it will work on an ADSL connection will be try it & see.

Otherwise I think you can achieve to same effect by disabling DHCP & NAT on the BB and ensuring it is on same subnet as your other router."

Any thoughts on this and will it work?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    OK got as far as disabling DHCP and NAT on the BB and started setting up the Asus but got to login to the user interface and it was asking for an Asus user account username and password. Which I don't have and isn't default admin and admin.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast