Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regular freeze after scheduled EPG Refresh, no CrashLog, debug log confusing

Title
    Thanks
    Just an update on the crashes and hangs I was seeing. I think it's been resolved.
    As I mentioned, I was seeing this in one of the crash logs:
    Code:
    325.831> [eventData] EPG Cache is corrupt (eventData::~eventData), you should restart Enigma!
    This error which lead to a crash was on the client receiver where fallback tuner and EPG import is enabled. Turns out the egp.dat on the server receiver had gotten corrupt (was only 110Kb instead of 18Mb) and everytime the client receiver booted, it FTP'ed the epg.dat from the server receiver (getting a corrupt copy every time).

So it appears to be totally unrelated to the 8GB USB stick and 50/60Hz issues.

But it does explain why it started happening when I upgraded from Hades018 to Vix 5.0.11 because the fallback tuner + EPG import wasn't possible on Hades 018 (and I guess the epg.dat was corrupt either)

Final question - should I schedule a cronjob that deletes epg.dat on the server receiver nights before CrossEPG runs? It might help avoid this in future

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smallfrak View Post
    If it does the same tomorrow morning, I try the

Code:
    init 4 && enigma2 &> /media/hdd/Enigma2_debug_$(date +%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S).log
    So well, it did. I found it hanging again. Issued the above command via SSH and id created a logfile. However, I did not get any picture but a "no free tuner available" and a spinning logo. After the logfile did not grow for a couple of seconds, I cancelled the command and tried a
    Code:
    shutdown -r now
    It DID boot but this time it hang during the boot process with the progress bar at "2" on the small display.
    Cycling the power switch brought back the box showing the correct start channel - which is ORF2 that must be decoded by CCcam and my ORF card. All functions normal this time.

So once again I issued the INIT command which generated another log file, this time showing the decoded channel and fully responsive. The spinning logo was present too and did not go away. However, it was not possible to watch a different encrypted channel other than the boot channel, so probably there was some communication problem with the CCcam. FTA channels where OK.

I stopped the command again and the two generated log files are in the attachment.

Certainly the picture went away after ^C as enigma was shut down. "shutdown" did again hang with a spinning logo and "2" in the progress bar as before, so the power switch was the next one.

This is not my only LINUX machine, but i never had any problems shutting down before. This one is somehow special or some external hardware it depends on is in a non responsive state that is cleared only by power off.

So if anyone can glimpse at the log files and maybe find something to point at, I would be very glad.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Title
    Thanks
    Attached Files
    Logfiles.zip (28.9 KB, 1 views)
    Hmm. As soon as I post some logfiles, the thread is essentially dead. The interest in them is obviously limited. Could the one who DID read them please state his findings? If it's "found nothing, looks OK" then at least I have an answer.

Even a negative result is a valuable information.

Even more useful would be "still not conclusive, can you try this or that to get a more meaningful trace"

Title
    Thanks
    I had epg related hangs each day with vix 5.013 went back to 5.009 and all is ok vu duo had and swap file

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Hmm. As soon as I post some logfiles, the thread is essentially dead. The interest in them is obviously limited. Could the one who DID read them please state his findings? If it's "found nothing, looks OK" then at least I have an answer.

Even a negative result is a valuable information.

Even more useful would be "still not conclusive, can you try this or that to get a more meaningful trace"
    Doesn't solve your issue directly, but why don't you try epgimport, rather than crossepg and see what happens?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Doesn't solve your issue directly, but why don't you try epgimport, rather than crossepg and see what happens?
    Well, it is EPGERFRESH rather than CROSSEPG that causes the problem. Probably some quirks while zapping the channels. Certainly I tried EPGIMPORT which is much quicker than zapping through all channels and it does not occupy a tuner for that.

Unfortunately the quality of the data read by EPGIMPORT rather limited with the standard German and Austrian channels. In addition the time code is often off by a few minutes and normal zapping reads the channel EPG in addition to the already read entries from EPGIMPORT. This leads to overlapping duplicates. I could decide to not update from the channel EPG which in turn leaves me with some channels entirely without EPG, since they are missing in the EPGIMPORT data.

Even the author of EPGIMPORT states that it is not suitable for providers that have good quality EPG in the channel, as most European channels do.

So yes I did try this before and it was not really usable. However, it did not hang my box. If the data quality would be better, I would happily dump the channel EPG along with EPGREFRESH in favor of EPGIMPORT, even though I prefer things that can do their duty without relying to some voluntary service on the internet.

Title
    Thanks
    @smallfrak - I also own a GB QUad+ and had similar issues. "Random" crashes and hangs. I thought I could see a pattern and then a crash/hang would occur and I couldn't explain it.
    Every other day the box hung sometime during the night.
    Like you I tired lots of things (delete epg.dat ... etc) but no joy.

I actually own 2 GB Quad+ boxes. One is bullet proof, the other was crashing/hanging a lot.
    So I took an image backup from the working box and put it on the other box ... that was a week ago. Since then I haven't had a single crash/hang.

So my suggestion - wipe the box and start again. install from fresh and setup the Quad+ again.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    For testing purposes, can you set normal record timers. You can delete them later. Might be easier to put them in a folder.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by divil_a_bit View Post
    So my suggestion - wipe the box and start again. install from fresh and setup the Quad+ again.
    I did a complete image restore without settings restore from the downloaded 5.0.0.13 version two weeks ago and I did configure everything new. I came here because this didn't solve the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    For testing purposes, can you set normal record timers. You can delete them later. Might be easier to put them in a folder.
    I have scheduled regular record timers. Some during use, some during standby. I don't remember any problems with them. Since I fixed the output frequency to 50Hz I had no crashes when I zap through the channels either - usually from within the multi EPG timeline, as I had before any now and then.

I have configured EPGREFRESH to use "pseudo recording" and I tried whether PIP (visible or hidden) would make a difference - it does not. I could try to let it zap the visible channel. I'm not quite sure what this means, as the box is in standby during that time, it even has to be or the EPGREFRESH would not start by itself. So even "visible" is still "in the background without waking the TV".

I tell you tomorrow.

Title
    Thanks
    I tell you tomorrow.
    It did NOT hang yesterday and it did not hang today. Instead the EPGREFRESH was finished correctly. Does this trigger some new ideas other than the obvious "leave it that way"?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12