Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overscan Issues On Samsung Smart TV?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Auto wide is "supposed to" show picture as delivered from the input source so 16:9 as 16:9 and 4:3 as 4:3 .
    So it shouldn,t do anything to it
    I am sure with a bit of tweaking everything will be fine just ignore my "love of Samsung" rants
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

2. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

champs4life (03-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Auto wide is "supposed to" show picture as delivered from the input source so 16:9 as 16:9 and 4:3 as 4:3 .
    I am sure with a bit of tweaking everything will be fine just ignore my "love of Samsung" rants
    I hear what your saying mate, i hate my galaxy s7 im stuck with lol, but i just dont see how its possable to be the tv at fault when earlier versions of vix run perfectly, in my case anyway as you know.

Not sure about the over scan issues the OP is having unless store demo mode is enabled like mine was....but he has noticed a big loss in picture quality too after upgrading.

What box do you own @champs4life?

Tweaking indeed helps in earlier versions but no matter what i try in 4.2 i just cant get a decent picture.

For example in 4.1 using the openvix red-HD skin i have to set video output to 720p otherwise i get heavy jagged lines, ok so that could be a skin fault...but in 3.2 i can leave video output at 1080p and the skin works fine.
    Last edited by kryton; 03-10-16 at 20:53.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kryton For This Useful Post:

champs4life (03-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Isnt auto wide still technically overscan on?

I have tried that setting but menu seems cut off which parts the picture would be cut off.

This has taken so much energy out of me I have no idea what to do.

I cant turn overscan off and if I turn it just comes back on. Then when turning it off it just looks all weird.

Why is this so complicated and so problematic.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kryton View Post
    I hear what your saying mate, i hate my galaxy s7 im stuck with lol, but i just dont see how its possable to be the tv at fault when earlier versions of vix run perfectly, in my case anyway as you know.

Not sure about the over scan issues the OP is having unless store demo mode is enabled like mine was....but he has noticed a big loss in picture quality too after upgrading.

What box do you own @champs4life?

Tweaking indeed helps in earlier versions but no matter what i try in 4.2 i just cant get a decent picture.

For example in 4.1 using the openvix red-HD skin i have to set video output to 720p otherwise i get heavy jagged lines, ok so that could be a skin fault...but in 3.2 i can leave video output at 1080p and the skin works fine.
    I have a TM Nano 3T

The quality of SD and especially HD isnt as sharp and crisp compared to before updating the latest image.

Could the skin I have be an issue?

Whether its the image or even TV/receiver at fault I have no idea.

I hate anything technical/advanced as I stress myself out which in turn never solves the issue.

So I think I am just going to give up and accept 16:9 with overscan on and loss of picture quality. Dont know how much is cropped with overscan but whatever now.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by champs4life View Post
    Could the skin I have be an issue?.
    Ive only noticed the problem in 4.1 with the red-HD skin, all other skins work fine, but in 4.2 no matter what you do the picture problems remain the same.
    If you have changed your skin from the default skin its no harm switching back to see if it helps.

As for your overscan issues did you check your tv users settings for user mode? Its under support in my tv menus.
    Last edited by kryton; 03-10-16 at 22:52.

Title
    Thanks
    Ive only noticed the problem in 4.1 with the red-HD skin, all other skins work fine, but in 4.2 no matter what you do the picture problems remain the same.

As for your overscan issues did you check your tv users settings for user mode? Its under support in my tv menus.
    Ye I have looked in settings and cant see user mode anywhere.

Title
    Thanks
    Ye I have looked in settings and cant see user mode anywhere.
    20161003_225246.jpg

Its here on my tv, not sure if all sammy tvs have the same setting.
    But it was giving me the same symptons.
    I use screenfit for my pc, when playing games it was switching back to 16:9 on its own which became annoying because half the screen went missing .

Title
    Thanks
    @twol the model no of the TV is ue40c6500

I had made a mistake I changed the setting to wide zoom, it doesnt allow me to change to auto wide.

Something has occurred to me. On the old image I had the old settings (16:9) and unlike now I never had menus or anything cutting off. So I am completely lost as what has happened. Part of me thinks its the image that is the problem. One thing is for sure I have not had anywhere near the problems I have with the with the picture, settings etc on the old image.

Title
    Thanks

I had made a mistake I changed the setting to wide zoom, it doesnt allow me to change to auto wide.

Something has occurred to me. On the old image I had the old settings (16:9) and unlike now I never had menus or anything cutting off. So I am completely lost as what has happened. Part of me thinks its the image that is the problem. One thing is for sure I have not had anywhere near the problems I have with the with the picture, settings etc on the old image.
    Try flashing back to 3.2 (which is very stable for me, but you lose plugins) or 4.1 that seems stable apart from the red HD skin problem...which ive fixed by changing output mode to 720p.

Least you can rule out image problems if it works ok after downgrading.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts

In your first post you said menus had been cut off.

Hi I really need help please.

So I found out my TV had overscan on by default for so long which had cut menus, some of the picture etc.
    Last edited by ccs; 03-10-16 at 23:08.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi I really need help please.

So I found out my TV had overscan on by default for so long which had cut menus, some of the picture etc.

So I decided to turn it off by enabling "screen fit"

However no matter if I turn TV off, or the receiver or if the receiver is on overscan automatically turns back on.

Why is this happening? Is my TV or box faulty which is causing this?

I am going crazy with this as it shouldnt be changing to 16:9 if I turned overscan off.

I really hope someone can help me. Not sure if Samsung can help.
    If it's any consolation I've had exactly the same issue with an old (non smart) Samsung Tv and VU+ Solo2. Every time I switch off the TV and Sat box, the TV reverts back to an overscan mode (16x9 - I think). It's quite frustrating. I'm not at the TV right now so I don't know the model number. Also, I've noticed this issue for well over a year on older Vix revisions, but I don't think its anything to do with that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to chaser For This Useful Post:

kryton (03-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chaser View Post
    If it's any consolation I've had exactly the same issue with an old (non smart) Samsung Tv and VU+ Solo2. Every time I switch off the TV and Sat box, the TV reverts back to an overscan mode (16x9 - I think). It's quite frustrating. I'm not at the TV right now so I don't know the model number. Also, I've noticed this issue for well over a year on older Vix revisions, but I don't think its anything to do with that.
    have a 7 year old samsung plasma and it does exactly the same.....very frustrating indeed.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have a Samsung Tv, it is the only Samsung i have ever owned and i don't have any problems with it...
    It is obvious to me that the guy has set his enigma 2 box up whilst the tv is in overscan
    He has then turned over scan off 'on that input' by enabling screen fit which is correct
    He then has black bars around his screen, which on some channels may also be correct
    now he needs to either re-adjust his screen size settings on his enigma 2 box and or do this which is clearly stated in the manual for his TV

x Settings can be adjusted and stored for each
    external device connected to an input on the TV.

x After selecting Screen Fit in HDMI (1080i / 1080p)
    or Component (1080i / 1080p) mode: Adjusts the
    Position or Size by using ▲, ▼, ◄, ► button.

x If you use the Screen Fit function with HDMI 720p
    input, 1 line will be cut at the top, bottom, left and
    right as in the overscan function.
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    If you have changed your skin from the default skin its no harm switching back to see if it helps.

Red-HD is a 720p Skin not full HD one like the Confluence, Bello, YouViX-Blue (Red, Green & Purple ones available), iSkin Dark & iSkin Light etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

kryton (04-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    Red-HD is a 720p Skin not full HD one like the Confluence, Bello, YouViX-Blue (Red, Green & Purple ones available), iSkin Dark & iSkin Light etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes mate i realised this after reading another post about it, but its been working fine on 1080p on previous versions thats what mislead me a bit.

Its all up and running now on 4.1, would love to try iskin mate but its not in the 4.1 feeds.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast