Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Galaxy S4 Micro SD Card

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Galaxy S4 Micro SD Card

Morning All,

Having really annoying issues with my wife's S4 and the SD Card.

Have a class 10 32gb SD Card fitted. Used to work find until Samsung rolled out loads of updates. Now when taking photos/videos that is saving to the SD card they are corrupting straight away, So I took the SD card out and copied all the usable photos over to a external HDD to have a back up. formatted the SD card and transferred the non corrupted photos back to the card and re-inserted into the phone.

Looked in the gallery and there was double the photos that were corrupted.

Any ideas why the phone is doing this? Does the SD cars need to be formatted to FAT32 or NTFS?

Is using a Samsung on better?

TIA

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dfox View Post
    Does the SD cars need to be formatted to FAT32 or NTFS?
    Better to let the phone format the card.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Better to let the phone format the card.
    Thanks Rob, how would I then get the photos backed up on the HDD back onto the SD card?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    The same way as you (probably) do that now: via WiFi or BlueTooth?

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

dfox (20-06-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    The same way as you (probably) do that now: via WiFi or BlueTooth?
    Will try this later. Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    how are the cards mounted? When I started using cyanogenmod 13 (Android 6) the mount system was changed completely and I hardly could use the card for external storage until an update a few month later.

Can you set the card as a place for storing photos and videos? Does you gallery see the pictures on the card?

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

dfox (21-06-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,
    how are the cards mounted? When I started using cyanogenmod 13 (Android 6) the mount system was changed completely and I hardly could use the card for external storage until an update a few month later.

Can you set the card as a place for storing photos and videos? Does you gallery see the pictures on the card?

ciao
    Hi,

Unsure it just says mount SD Card.

Yes in the settings of the camera you can select to save images and videos on memory card.

I can see some photos on the phone but it keeps corrupting them and even when you take a photo it corrupts straight away.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    up to now I do not have such a problem with my S5. How old is the card? Perhaps a complete read/write check in a PC reader would be advisable.

ciao
    ---
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

dfox (21-06-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi dfox, I would forget about the sd card as it's too much of a liability and unreliable. My advice would be to install a cloud software like Dropbox or something similar and back up to this every time you take a new picture. I have used this method for years and never fails me. You get a initial amount of storage free and if you are only taking pictures then this should be fine, over time you can purchase additional storage for very little cost, weight it up how valuable is that beautiful picture of a family member or something memorable. You can't put a price on somethings.
    Vix image (usually latest) - VU Solo 4K- WD 1TB INTERNAL HDD - DVB-T Freeview, trialling IPTV options

If my response has helped you, don't forget to hit the thanks button below. I appreciate you appreciate me

13. The Following User Says Thank You to duoduo For This Useful Post:

dfox (21-06-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi,
    up to now I do not have such a problem with my S5. How old is the card? Perhaps a complete read/write check in a PC reader would be advisable.

Card is not that old, 4 months maybe. I Will let the phone format the card and see how that goes.

ciao
    Quote Originally Posted by duoduo View Post
    Hi dfox, I would forget about the sd card as it's too much of a liability and unreliable. My advice would be to install a cloud software like Dropbox or something similar and back up to this every time you take a new picture. I have used this method for years and never fails me. You get a initial amount of storage free and if you are only taking pictures then this should be fine, over time you can purchase additional storage for very little cost, weight it up how valuable is that beautiful picture of a family member or something memorable. You can't put a price on somethings.
    duoduo this sounds like a good route to take. Would I still be able to view the picture on the phone via dropbox? I have only used dropbox a little bit.

The phone is backing up to google+ but obviously when the pictures are saving corrupted on the SD Card it is backing up the corrupted images.

This is not the first S4 I know to have this issue.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi yes you can still view on Dropbox via phone, download the app
    Vix image (usually latest) - VU Solo 4K- WD 1TB INTERNAL HDD - DVB-T Freeview, trialling IPTV options

If my response has helped you, don't forget to hit the thanks button below. I appreciate you appreciate me

16. The Following User Says Thank You to duoduo For This Useful Post:

dfox (22-06-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    if formating does not help I would buy a new card they do not cost a lot anymore. Dropbox would be only an alternative for some things but not for internal memory. I just bought 2*64GB for my car for less then €30 for both.

ciao
    ---

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    It's his wife's phone, I mean beyond taking pictures they only tend to use for calls and texts right??!! Dropbox will do what you want or you could take a chance with another so card but seen as though you have tried a couple of times I know what I would go for.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi,
    if formating does not help I would buy a new card they do not cost a lot anymore. Dropbox would be only an alternative for some things but not for internal memory. I just bought 2*64GB for my car for less then €30 for both.

Yeah I think I will order a new card and see, can get a 32gb or 64gb Samsung one for 10 quid or something.

ciao
    Quote Originally Posted by duoduo View Post
    It's his wife's phone, I mean beyond taking pictures they only tend to use for calls and texts right??!! Dropbox will do what you want or you could take a chance with another so card but seen as though you have tried a couple of times I know what I would go for.
    lol yeah that's all they use for, taking pictures and texts, She was due a new phone anyway so have ordered her one last night. I am going to have the S4 so can mess about it with it more and not worry about corrupting the pictures, I will try whats been suggested and post on this thread what happens.

Cheers