Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Surely it shouldn't be this hard

heyho

Surely it shouldn't be this hard

I have a PC that runs as a media server using Plex and several devices that connect to it to stream video. I have a VU+ Uno box with latest Openvix on it. I've managed to setup a network share from a hard disk connected to my Netgear router and the idea is to set this as my recording area so that Plex can pick it up and I can watch whatever is recorded from the Vu+ box.

So (minor) issue number one. I also have a Windows share setup. When I run Network browser it picks up both the Netgear attached drive and the Windows share without any problems and I can mount them and it quickly says they are successfully mounted. BUT - when I go into the location option when I am setting a program timer and then press the Menu button to display my devices and setup a bookmark only the Netgear attached drive is showing. This is NFS and the Windows is CIFS. That is the only difference (and Samba is installed and I have tried setting the Windows share to NFS). Not a big irritant but more of an annoyance

Anyway the other annoyance is that any recordings are saved as .TS files. Now I can get Plex to read these and display them in its menu system but Plex will not play them. So I am faced with having to manually convert them. Is there anyway the default file format can be changed?

Basically I just want to be able to record programs from Satellite and let Plex automatically catalog them so I can watch them on any number of devices in the house (or away from the house I suppose)

Title
    Thanks
    i have heard that the new version of Plex doesn't have a transcoder hence why i haven't bothered upgrading my PMS. You will need to use an older version of Plex.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to imish For This Useful Post:

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Would you not be better using something like sickbeard to collect your programs rather than recording them?
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DaMacFunkin For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heyho View Post
    Anyway the other annoyance is that any recordings are saved as .TS files. Now I can get Plex to read these and display them in its menu system but Plex will not play them. So I am faced with having to manually convert them. Is there anyway the default file format can be changed?
    There are two parts to the format of a movie file. The container format, and the actual encoding format.
    The *.ts bit is the container format. It's a transmission stream. That's a format which is used for broadcast transmissions as it is more tolerant of odd bits being lost.
    The internal encoding will either be mpeg-2 or h.264 ("mp4"). That's how the broadcaster has encoded things,
    Neither is going to change and there wouldn't be any point in getting the receiver to spend time and effort changing any of this, given that it can play what is sent.
    I'm surprised that any recent, decent video-playing system can't handle these common formats.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (25-08-16)

heyho
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    I'm surprised that any recent, decent video-playing system can't handle these common formats.
    I can see that birdman and I suppose the argument is - you record it from an enigma2/openvix device then you must be wanting to play it from the same device.

But the most common video formats are avi, flv, mov, wmv, mp4 so surely an option in a product such as openvix which is so feature rich in other things wouldn't be too much of a hardship

And thanks for the sickbeard reply damacfunkin - not come across that one before.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heyho View Post
    I can see that birdman and I suppose the argument is - you record it from an enigma2/openvix device then you must be wanting to play it from the same device.

But the most common video formats are avi, flv, mov, wmv, mp4 so surely an option in a product such as openvix which is so feature rich in other things wouldn't be too much of a hardship

And thanks for the sickbeard reply damacfunkin - not come across that one before.
    There is no way for the image to choose what format a recording is saved as. It is determined by the hardware / drivers etc. The manufacturer would have to invent a process to do that such as transcoding the stream to another format and that would require new hardware and drivers, so would not be backward compatible with existing receivers.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry-G View Post
    The manufacturer would have to invent a process to do that such as transcoding the stream to another format and that would require new hardware and drivers
    Wouldn't need to transcode anything.
    An HD broadcast is h.264. Vix puts this into a *.ts file.
    A *.mp4 file, which heyho notes as a common video format, also contains an h.264 encoded stream.
    The issue here seems to be around the container, not the encoding.

As I noted, in my opinion any decent video player would handle a *.ts file. The problem here seems to be with Plex (but note that it doesn't need a transcoder - it just needs to be able to demux a *.ts file).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    The problem here seems to be with Plex (but note that it doesn't need a transcoder - it just needs to be able to demux a *.ts file).
    I have a Plex setup and it does this perfectly well.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    .... but using an older version of Plex.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    .... but using an older version of Plex.
    So you think that they might have removed the ability to handle a TS container?!?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Most do, but don't recognize the ts as type; most of the time a simple renaming to mpeg or so does the trick.
    Last edited by Rob van der Does; 28-08-16 at 03:09.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Most do, but don't recognize the ts as type; most of the time a simple renaming to mpeg or so does the trick.
    They could do with a little Linux "magic" then....

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    So you think that they might have removed the ability to handle a TS container?!?
    No idea, just highlighting that the op had mentioned earlier in the thread that an older release of Plex was ok.